Do You Use Spinning Reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Do You Use Spinning Reels?

Post by MK49 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:15 pm

I haven't used a spinning reel for at least 15 years. I just don't like it, because the way it handles the line, and it doesn't have as much power as baitcasters. I've never used braided lines for spinning reels, so I just spooled it tonight (40lbs braided line + 8lbs mono leader, FG Knot), just because the fishing is very tough this year, especially right now. I'm thinking if I use a spinning tackle, and throw tiny poppers, jerkbaits or soft baits, I might catch more fish (not guaranteed). Right now, I can catch bass with topwater early in the morning, but that's about it. So, I need do something. I've been struggling for the whole summer and early fall.

Do you like spinning reels?

Do you use braided lines with them?

How often do you use them?

Are the newer spinning reels much better than 15 ~ 20 years old reels?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do You Use Spinning Reels?

Post by Johnny A » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 am

Yes.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:22 am

Yes, yes, almost every trip, and yes. I like .067 braid diameter on all of my 4 spinning reels.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:00 am

i use spinning reels exclusively, i dont fish much for big bits and spinning reels fit my needs perfectly. also use braided line on all of them, either 10-15lb seaguar smackdown or 13-15lb sunline defier d-braid, rarely have any issues with line management, if you pay attention its a rare thing.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:38 am

I love baitcasters, but hooking into a 10lbs largemouth or catfish on a dropshot on a baitcaster sounds like a nightmare I don't need. Having a good spinning reel and that smooth, clicking drag helps a ton, and IMO spinning reels beat baitcasters when it comes to drag. Plus, a bunch of rods simply aren't available as baitcasters! I'd much rather have a NRX 822 DSR or Steez 761MML in my life than skip them because I exclusively fish baitcasters.

Casting light stuff in cold months on a spinning reel is more comfortable IMO (because it's less complicated). I'm all for BFS, but it's still a solution to a problem that spinning gear solved decades ago.

But yes, braid-to-leader (or Fireline) makes spinning reels MUCH more bearable, I wouldn't want to spool them with mono or fluoro all the way.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks, guys. Sounds like the braid is the key for the spinning reels.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:58 am

Yes but occasionally and only technique that requires a lot of shaking or twisting like Neko rig, Ned rig. All my spinning reels either 6-10 super line or braid.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:24 am

No. I don't see the point of using a spinning reel when a bfs setup does the same thing, is lighter, palms better and is more sensitive. Have not used a single spinning reel for almost 10 years, and there's zero chance of me going back.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:53 am

Yes, more and more lately.

There was a time fishing competitively that I rarely had a spinning rig in the boat. Now, 25 yrs later, I fish for different reasons and enjoy more diversity in both species of fish I target and my tackle selection.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:30 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:38 am
I'm all for BFS, but it's still a solution to a problem that spinning gear solved decades ago.
100% agree
PEACE

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:23 pm

love my spinning setups.

last week we fished a number of days in a row with high winds. Casting light poppers and cranks into the wind was much easier (and more accurate) on the spinning setups.
1-2%

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:49 pm

I've been mainly using spinning gear this year.
My home lake is highly pressured and full of spotted bass.
Smaller lures and light line seems to be the ticket to catching numbers and fooling the occasional larger keeper.
Plus light line and lighter gear is more fun.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:05 pm

I've come to learn how versatile a 7'6" Medium Light spinning rod can be. I've used fast and extra fast, preferring the extra fast. Salmon, trout, walleye, smallies, really anything that is in open water. Very versatile. 20lbs braid mainline with a flouro lead is the way to go on this setup.

I've even used that setup on the beach surf style fishing/casting on the great lakes. I just change the reel over to the Stradic 4000 Ci4. Holds a ton of braid, which is needed for pissed of silver kings and bows.
1-2%

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:13 pm

I have found that nothing keeps a hard running big smallie pinned on smaller trebles than a proper spinning combo. A quality threadline will nearly always have more drag and a smoother drag, than most BCs due to the available surface area of the spool.

I actually love power fishing 3/8-1 oz baits of all sorts on my Shimano Hard Rocker 8'3" MHF spinning.with an old school Team Daiwa 1300ia and 15 lb braid.

This combo can handle just about anything FW where I fish, including a 30 lb mirror carp I snagged on a lipless a couple of years back, and has the backbone and deep bend to fight and wear down smallies in fast running water.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:12 pm

Yes I use them all the time. It gets hard in high pressured lakes, light line, light hooks, better drag system than baitcaster. I use up to 20lb braid for bass fishing around cover. Im almost always using a leader
Long live the Jerkbait