Bantam, 20 Metanium or ? for NRX+ 873

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam, 20 Metanium or ? for NRX+ 873

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:28 am

Finally broke down and ordered a NRX+ 873 CRR for pitching jigs. Can't decide between a Bantam or a Metanium to put on it. Due to the exchange rate it's gonna be a JDM, but besides weight is there a reason to choose one over the other? Or is there something else to throw in the mix? Thought also about a Zillion but I am not too crazy about the T-wing for bottom contact stuff.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bantam, 20 Metanium or ? for NRX+ 873

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:45 am

With the disclaimer that I don’t actually own a Bantam MGL (yet?), I have that series pegged for heavy duty use, particularly cranking and frogging. It weighs more than a Met20, too.

I do have a Metanium that I’ve jigged with a lot, and I think it’s a great bottom contact reel. Of your two choices, I’d go with that one cause I don’t feel the need to even try a Bantam in that situation.

As for T-Wing concerns, I’ve only had issues with leader knots on thick line, i.e. 65lbs braid to a 20lbs leader (got that now on my A-rig rod, which uses a Zillion HD). Connection knots on smaller diameters (i.e. 50lbs to 15lbs on a jig rod) seem to slide through the TWS just fine on every retrieve.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:58 am

I own Bantams and Metaniums (JDM and US). Either will work. The Bantam will balance better.with that said, I use an Antares. I’ve fished a lot of different set ups for jigs, but to me the 873CRR paired with an Antares is as good as it gets.

tmd11111
Angler
Angler

Post by tmd11111 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:40 pm

I have 2 873CRR's. Originally had '20 Mets on them and switch them out for Bantams, balances the rod so much better which in turn makes it feel lighter. Mets may cast a little bit further but the trade off is worth it.