Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:17 am

Received Ray's deep spool on today. Weights 8.8 grams. Unfortunately sv style inductor is sticky in the other direction, and that's the direction of left hand reel...Also freespool is not great. Need to flush bearings and try to clean inductor. Or send it back.
...Actually inductor movement is already near to smooth. It just needed to be twisted several times. But maybe better to take it apart and look it.
Ray's deep spool.jpg
Ray's deep spool.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 4207 times

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:17 am
Received Ray's deep spool on today. Weights 8.8 grams. Unfortunately sv style inductor is sticky in the other direction, and that's the direction of left hand reel...Also freespool is not great. Need to flush bearings and try to clean inductor. Or send it back.
...Actually inductor movement is already near to smooth. It just needed to be twisted several times. But maybe better to take it apart and look it.
Ray's deep spool.jpg
It looks great Please keep us updated with what you think about it for distance casting when you get a chance. I just purchased a gekkabijin and am worried I might need a deeper spool. Thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 am

Vabass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Ray's deep spool.jpg
It looks great Please keep us updated with what you think about it for distance casting when you get a chance. I just purchased a gekkabijin and am worried I might need a deeper spool. Thanks
Looked at a Gekka Bijin for a while and worried about the same. Wish I could find the Alphas SVTW spool. Not sure why they went with the odd narrowed design. How much 7lb FC Sniper would the stock Gekka Bijin or Silver creek hold?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 am
How much 7lb FC Sniper would the stock Gekka Bijin or Silver creek hold?
7 lb Sunline seems 0.245 mm diameter. These reels should take it something below 40 yds.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 am
Vabass wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
Ray's deep spool.jpg
Looked at a Gekka Bijin for a while and worried about the same. Wish I could find the Alphas SVTW spool. Not sure why they went with the odd narrowed design. How much 7lb FC Sniper would the stock Gekka Bijin or Silver creek hold?
The odd spool "shelf/shoulder" design is for expediting speed and distance with thin braid and light lures.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:12 am

Yes, 'Brenious' style spool was cost effective way to add some casting distance, by sacrificing some line capacity. Line runs straighter from narrower spool...

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:12 am
Yes, 'Brenious' style spool was cost effective way to add some casting distance, by sacrificing some line capacity. Line runs straighter from narrower spool...
I remember someone saying that daiwa recommend. .6pe braid spooled to the shelf but not over it. Did you ever try it this way with the stock spool?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:25 am

Vabass wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 am
I remember someone saying that daiwa recommend. .6pe braid spooled to the shelf but not over it. Did you ever try it this way with the stock spool?
In my GekkaBihin is ~25 m of PE#1 and backing of ~50 m PE#0.5 and spool is very full.

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:25 am
Vabass wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 am
In my GekkaBihin is ~25 m of PE#1 and backing of ~50 m PE#0.5 and spool is very full.
Ok that's good to know I usually use braid closer to #1 pe. But I'm going to give the daiwa recommend line a try first before I buy the deeper spool. Thanks

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:29 am

Vabass wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 am
Ok that's good to know I usually use braid closer to #1 pe. But I'm going to give the daiwa recommend line a try first before I buy the deeper spool. Thanks
PE#1 it takes something 31-33 m, which I considered being too less, and therefore put PE#1 just 25 m + thin backing, which has been working good. Only once I managed to cast a meter longer than usual, and found submerged tree, and lost lure + all my main line.

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:29 am
Vabass wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 am
PE#1 it takes something 31-33 m, which I considered being too less, and therefore put PE#1 just 25 m + thin backing, which has been working good. Only once I managed to cast a meter longer than usual, and found submerged tree, and lost lure + all my main line.
Good deal thanks for the info

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 21, 2023 10:42 am

Vabass wrote:
Casting distance was very good in the range of 7 - 15 g. Also "SV style" brake action was flawless. (But maybe fixed inductor spool might be even better anyway...Because basic SV style inductor is never distance oriented.) Good spool in that price! I didn't try how light I can cast with it because we were casting for Seatrout and it was windy as usual. Paired this reel with St. Croix AVC96MLF2.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 22, 2023 3:17 am

Still waiting for the first reviews on the SS AIR TW. Wondering how the distance is on it. I know the Aldebaran BFS with 7lb FC absolutely dumps the spool with over 3.5g total weights.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 22, 2023 4:29 am

Sure! It's fascinating if they have fitted Boost like brake to Magforce SS! At least Magforce SS is different than current Magforces. Because it adjusts same time magnetic brake and also difference in inductor in vs inductor out. So obviously there's at least 3D like brake :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon May 22, 2023 5:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:17 am
Still waiting for the first reviews on the SS AIR TW. Wondering how the distance is on it. I know the Aldebaran BFS with 7lb FC absolutely dumps the spool with over 3.5g total weights.
I saw the Daiwa Japan videos on it. I know it isn't a review but, looks pretty impressive so far.

I will be getting one in soon and will go over it.

And I know what you mean about the Aldebaran. The new Conquest BFS is a beast with a 3gr jig. Panfish didn't stand a chance
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing