Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Post by Freddie » Fri May 26, 2023 5:25 pm

FishNGame wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 am
I'm looking for a reel to pair with a longer (7'6-8') L/l to ML casting rod to bomb hair jigs, sub 1/4oz jerkbaits and cranks and so on. Lightest I would throw on the setup would be a 16th oz jig and plastic. I know a spinning setup would provide the castability and line capacity, but I much prefer casting. Thanks for any suggestions!
1/16 oz jig and plastic is probably in the the 3 gram range and maybe heavier depending on the plastic. My go-to confidence BFS bait right now is a 2 gram Cheburashka+2.75" Zman TubeZ. This bait is absolutely fire here on the Juniata river in south-central PA. I catch everything from bluegills to walleye to fall fish to 4# SMB with this lure.

Total weight is around 3 grams and it casts really well from my 2021 Zillion SV TW+Roro X27 spool(5.5 grams with the bearing) w/ 50 meters of 6# FC.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 28, 2023 8:18 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:42 am
Vabass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 am
It looks great Please keep us updated with what you think about it for distance casting when you get a chance. I just purchased a gekkabijin and am worried I might need a deeper spool. Thanks
Casting distance was very good in the range of 7 - 15 g. Also "SV style" brake action was flawless. (But maybe fixed inductor spool might be even better anyway...Because basic SV style inductor is never distance oriented.) Good spool in that price! I didn't try how light I can cast with it because we were casting for Seatrout and it was windy as usual. Paired this reel with St. Croix AVC96MLF2.
It is very good in a range of ~10 g aerodynamic lures, way better than ct Alphas with Original spool! I'm thinking to order that fixed inductor version also to see how it compares to sv Style.
Ray's spool fixed inductor.jpg
Ray's spool fixed inductor.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Actually now I have thought enough...Ordered it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:55 pm

Does anyone have any input on the SV versus fixed inductor Rays deep BFS spool in the Gekkabijin?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:55 pm
Does anyone have any input on the SV versus fixed inductor Rays deep BFS spool in the Gekkabijin?
I have both and both are very good! I spooled same line for both but for fixed style there was ~1 mm less line in the spool. And fixed spool is some amount of lighter than sv style. But at least with ~1 mm less line fixed style works better for lighter lures but sv style casts a little farer :) I like both but would choose sv style if needed to choose.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:18 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:16 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:55 pm
I have both and both are very good! I spooled same line for both but for fixed style there was ~1 mm less line in the spool. And fixed spool is some amount of lighter than sv style. But at least with ~1 mm less line fixed style works better for lighter lures but sv style casts a little farer :) I like both but would choose sv style if needed to choose.
Perfecto, thanks for sharing. Also, have you changed the factory bearing out, or is it acceptable with the stock bearing?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:07 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:18 am
Perfecto, thanks for sharing. Also, have you changed the factory bearing out, or is it acceptable with the stock bearing?
Both are stock. Performance has been good straight out box. Both spools casts longer than ct alphas std. spool, so I have not thought to do anything. SV styles inductor didn't move perfectly smooth straight out box when I tested it by fingers but after first fishing session it was perfectly smooth.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:31 am

Good stuff mango! 8-)

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:31 pm

The lightest bait I use is probably Jackall Flick Shake with 1/8oz wacky head. I bought a Daiwa PX68 about 12 years ago. I do finesse only when fishing is very tough, so I haven't used the PX68 much. But, for whatever the reason, I wanted to buy a Daiwa Gekka Bijin, knowing I wasn't going to use it much. I used it for the first time today. And, found that for what I do, the 12yrs old PX68 was just as good. I tried smaller topwater baits like Pop X, Zara Puppy.... (Note: I normally use a regular baitcasting reels/rods for these 1/4oz baits, so don't really need a BFS for them). I think the PX68 casts better for those. I threw the Flick Shake with a 1/8oz wacky jighead, just to see the difference, and I didn't notice much improvement. I use 8lbs copolymer for the PX68, and I used super thin braded line (the thinnest line I have ever used) with 8lbs copolymer leader with the Gekka Bijin.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:44 pm

I just ordered a Roro spool for Steez. I'm hoping it's as good as my PX68 for my lighter lures, which aren't super light, because I feel more comfortable with Steez.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:37 am

MK49 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:44 pm
I just ordered a Roro spool for Steez. I'm hoping it's as good as my PX68 for my lighter lures, which aren't super light, because I feel more comfortable with Steez.
It's going to be every bit as capable, and then some in the lower weights is my estimate.

Keep us posted on your findings.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:56 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:37 am
MK49 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:44 pm
It's going to be every bit as capable, and then some in the lower weights is my estimate.

Keep us posted on your findings.
Received the Roro spool yesterday, and I fished this morning. The lightest lure I used was a Lucky Craft S8 Popper. I think it's about 1/4oz, so it's not really light. I've been using the S8 Popper, since the late 90s, and I don't think I casted the S8 that far. I think my Steez/Roro spool combo casts those 1/4oz baits a little better than PX68 and Gekka Bijin. 3/8oz lures casted further than the stock spool. For 1/2oz, I didn't see much difference between the stock spool and the Roro.

When I go lighter than 1/4oz, which is very rare (I live mostly between 3/8oz and 3/4oz), Gekka Bijin is probably better, but it forces me to use super thin braided line, which I have hard time seeing. If the fishing gets really tough, and I have to go more finesse, I'd try the Gekka Bijin again. Until then, I'm happy with the Steez/Roro.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:57 pm

FWIW,

I have discovered a really fun, neat, and excellent performing combo for 1/4 poppers like the Iovino Splash-it and Yellow Magic, etc.

Now, I have used several BC combos successfully for this tech, and I still feel that a light to ML powered mod-fast spinning with light braid is as good as it gets. I also have a Gekkabijin + Tiemco Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J with 8lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai+ 8 lb CXX leader that works very well, albeit I really have to "bow" to the fish if they jump and pull hard as this Golden Wing is a very fast and slightly stiff tip for poppers...also, I find the 1/4 oz popper casts better at a higher brake setting of 7-8 as the fast tip isn't great for loading up that tiny spool properly for accurate and consistent casts, IMO.

I have actually just sold two Gen 1 Aldebarans because I have found that my Scorpion 1000XT with flushed stock bearing under the CCC and a HH BFS air bearing on the sideplate, is just as consistent and capable for 1/4 as the Yumeya aluminum BFS spool and even the OG 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG. The real clincher for me is that I have a LOT more line capacity. I have spooled my tuned/modded Scorpion 1000XT with 40LB YGK X8 UPGRADE BRAID and 8lb CXX leader, and paired with an Evergreen Tactics Super Nova glass cranking rod. This rod is incredible and loads down to 1/8 easily, and with braid+leader is magical for popping/spitting 1/4-3/8 oz poppers. I think that 30lb YGK X8 Upgrade would be slightly better, but this line is so thin and casts so well, that I think a bit more diameter and body helps keep fluffing and overruns down, even with running one brake on!

I can't wait to get into some topwater smallies, spots, and green fish in the next few weeks as the weather and water cools, and I believe this combo is going to be a blast and work exceptionally well to keep the fish pinned on small trebles.

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewevergr ... rnova.html

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:47 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:57 pm
FWIW,

I have discovered a really fun, neat, and excellent performing combo for 1/4 poppers like the Iovino Splash-it and Yellow Magic, etc.

Now, I have used several BC combos successfully for this tech, and I still feel that a light to ML powered mod-fast spinning with light braid is as good as it gets. I also have a Gekkabijin + Tiemco Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J with 8lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai+ 8 lb CXX leader that works very well, albeit I really have to "bow" to the fish if they jump and pull hard as this Golden Wing is a very fast and slightly stiff tip for poppers...also, I find the 1/4 oz popper casts better at a higher brake setting of 7-8 as the fast tip isn't great for loading up that tiny spool properly for accurate and consistent casts, IMO.

I have actually just sold two Gen 1 Aldebarans because I have found that my Scorpion 1000XT with flushed stock bearing under the CCC and a HH BFS air bearing on the sideplate, is just as consistent and capable for 1/4 as the Yumeya aluminum BFS spool and even the OG 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG. The real clincher for me is that I have a LOT more line capacity. I have spooled my tuned/modded Scorpion 1000XT with 40LB YGK X8 UPGRADE BRAID and 8lb CXX leader, and paired with an Evergreen Tactics Super Nova glass cranking rod. This rod is incredible and loads down to 1/8 easily, and with braid+leader is magical for popping/spitting 1/4-3/8 oz poppers. I think that 30lb YGK X8 Upgrade would be slightly better, but this line is so thin and casts so well, that I think a bit more diameter and body helps keep fluffing and overruns down, even with running one brake on!

I can't wait to get into some topwater smallies, spots, and green fish in the next few weeks as the weather and water cools, and I believe this combo is going to be a blast and work exceptionally well to keep the fish pinned on small trebles.

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewevergr ... rnova.html
Thanks for the info. I thought it's funny, when you say waiting for cooler weather for topwater. I mean when the water gets a little cooler, it would definitely get better, but in this month, I fished 12 times, and 80% of the fish were caught on topwater. In other words, after catching early morning topwater fish, normally 4 to 6 fish, I just couldn't get more bites. Only other baits that worked was lipless crankbaits. Even fishing soft plastic baits slowly didn't work well. So, I went the other way, burning lipless crankbaits to get a few reaction bites. Lipless crankbaits was smashing in June. But, this month I had to use smaller ones, like Jackall TN60 to get bites.

Interesting that you mentioned Splash It. It was my favorites 20 years ago. I still have half a dozen of them. I should start using them again. It's one of those forgotten old favorite lures.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:09 am

FWIW, some of the ponds and small manmade lakes I fish, small cranks imitating bluegills are the ticket...small plastics, chatters, topwaters of all sorts, Swimjigs...none are producing bass as these fish have been pounded hard the last few months with these presentations and they have become accustomed to not taking these same baits now.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:29 pm

FWIW, I ordered another Roro spool for my old Steez. After using the 1st spool for a few weeks, I liked it. I mostly use 3/8oz to 3/4oz baits, so I really don't need BFS spools, but I have 6 or 7 Steez reels that are 12 to 15 years old. It's about time to get some new spools. :D The lightest bait I've used is 1/8oz wacky jighead with Flick Shake, and the old Steez with the Roro spool (20lbs braid with 13lbs leader) casts "almost" as good as my old PX68 with 8lbs copoly. I feel more comfortable using 20lbs braid + 13lbs leader than 8lbs copoly, so the slight disadvantage isn't a big deal so far. Heck, I don't feel safe with 13lbs copoly, because of many little sticks in the water. I wish I could use thinner lines, especially this year, the water is clearer than normal. But, I just hate line breaks, especially when I hook a bigger bass.

Oh, I remember a funny thing that happened to me. One day in April, I caught only a couple of fish. It was tough, so I tied the Flick Shake with 1/8oz wacky head. I got a bite in the first cast, and I knew it was 6 or 7lbs, when I set the hook. After 10 seconds or so, I knew it wasn't a bass, but it's a big fish. It was a 8lbs copoly (PX68 reel). I was afraid of breaking the line, and I felt the fish and my line came through some sticks, which made me nervous. It was very exciting (big fish, thin line and sticks...), even though I knew it wasn't a bass. After about 2min, I finally landed it, and it was a 7lbs carp. I have caught crappie, catfish, trout and cutthroat by accident, but never a carp. It looked ugly, and I don't want to catch another one, but I have to admit it was exciting. About 20 years ago, I had to go finesse (not really finesse by today's standard) with a spinning reel, which I don't normally use, with 6lbs line, because I fished pond in a park in a city, where 1 million people live. The carp reminded me of catching 4 ~ 5lbs bass with the 6lbs line. At least, the pond didn't have sticks, but it still made me nervous and excited. Actually, the pond in the park was fairly big, and 10+ lbs bass lived there, but the fishing pressure was so high that I had to go finesse. I fished there 6 days a week for about 1yr. There were a few kids fishing there, probably about 14yrs old. I got to know them, just because I met them many times. I just thought about those kids, and realized that they're 30+ years old now. Man, speaking of getting old. :lol: