Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishNGame
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Post by FishNGame » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 am

I'm looking for a reel to pair with a longer (7'6-8') L/l to ML casting rod to bomb hair jigs, sub 1/4oz jerkbaits and cranks and so on. Lightest I would throw on the setup would be a 16th oz jig and plastic. I know a spinning setup would provide the castability and line capacity, but I much prefer casting. Thanks for any suggestions!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Finesse/BFS reel for distance casting?

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:49 am

For such use my current favorite is:
Kyuing Superlite Ajing SAC762S: Casting 7'6”(2.28m) Lure:0.6-10g Line 2-6lb PE-Line:0.3-0.8PE; FUJI Rings & Parts; Solid Rod tip;Super Fast Action;
1/16 Oz might be a a little too light, 3 g is usually lightest what I cast. I tried 1 g but it's too light. Very hard to get rod bent at all with 1 g. Rod top rating (10 g) is correct, it casts it best.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ng+SAC762S

I read negligently...I don't have suggestions for long casting baitcaster for this range. I use ct Alphas for such use, but reels with bigger diameter spool than that casts better. But I guess that reel with 34 mm Daiwa SLPW RCSB SV Boost 1000S G1 spool would be pretty good for this range in distance vise. You can find that spool from site sponsor JapanTackle. It fit's sv tw zillion and std. steez's and so on.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:35 am

I am a big fan of the 17 Engetsu 100 for distance casting 1/4 oz total weight on a ML rod. It has a heavier spool but is shallow and once it gets to spinning it doesn't want to stop. I throw 1/4 oz Super Spots, 1/4 oz Bomber cranks, Rapala OG Tiny 04 and weightless 4" Senkos on it with 20# braid. It's a long casting seel with 1/4 oz baits with a hard cast with a high release point. Your typical bomb cast. The spool is a bit heavy with some startup inertia for soft target casting to cover. In those applications I prefer an SV type spool, fixed inductor light weight or MGL spool.

Nevermind you want SUB 1/4 oz cranks. Disregard.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:39 am

If using braided line, the Gekkabijin AIR TW is great for what you mentioned. I used mine for bombing finesse baits for smallies this year. Worked wonderfully.

Left and right hand in stock:
https://www.digitaka.com/items/4/4/2/Ge ... +AIR+TW+PE
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:39 am
If using braided line, the Gekkabijin AIR TW is great for what you mentioned. I used mine for bombing finesse baits for smallies this year. Worked wonderfully.

Left and right hand in stock:
https://www.digitaka.com/items/4/4/2/Ge ... +AIR+TW+PE
True! I didn't recognize that 1/4 Oz is just 7 grams... GekkaBijin is really nice reel and just perfect for this. It's designed for light lures as casting distance in a mind. I love mine.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:18 am

A pixy with a px68 Finesse Special spool is the longest casting finesse set up i have personally tried.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:10 pm

My best lightweight casting reels are Kyorim Black Knight II:s.
Funny thing about that, is, they are left hand reeled. And because of that, there's brake's are NOT adjusting on the throw, like they should do :lol: (Chines bad copy of FTB)
So, my BK2:s are like basic mag brake...

I believe right now, that fixed mag brake is best for finesse "distance casting".

So, if you want to throw far, don't buy Daiwa's Air or Shimanos FTB.
They are made for easy fishing.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Daiwa's GekkaBijin Air std spool is longer casting than Roro's fixed inductor. Inductor move back in lenghtens casting distance also in bfs fishing.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 pm

You will do well with Daiwa GekkaBijin or Shimano Aldebaran BFS. Both reels are a little expensive. However, with BFS type lures you are not going to cast a mile and most reels will be close. ABU ALC BF7 can be found relatively cheap in Japan and it casts well too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 am

FYI, there is a DIY/Rays BFS deep spool that evidently helps launch finesse baits extra distance on the Gekkabijin, so it should work on other Daiwa platforms with this same spool design and specs.

This said, I'm not sure that a 1/16 oz hair jig is going to "launch" with any BFS reels.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:59 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 am
FYI, there is a DIY/Rays BFS deep spool that evidently helps launch finesse baits extra distance on the Gekkabijin, so it should work on other Daiwa platforms with this same spool design and specs.

This said, I'm not sure that a 1/16 oz hair jig is going to "launch" with any BFS reels.
I have lightest(?) spool for GekkaBijin (Roro's). It sure helps launch lightest ~1 g lures. But 3 g or more there is not any distance advantage for Roro, because original spool will start effortlesly.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:03 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:59 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 am

I have lightest(?) spool for GekkaBijin (Roro's). It sure helps launch lightest ~1 g lures. But 3 g or more there is not any distance advantage for Roro, because original spool will start effortlesly.
I believe, he is talking about the "very deep" spool for the Aplhas/steez air, which is not that light (8 gram or so), but may offer further casting with heavier lures (>5 gram)... At least you will have difficulty emptying a full spool.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Hello fellas, I'll ask Tim to chime in. I'm not sure if it's the Roro or a different make. I know that it really helps with providing longer casts on the Gekkabijin and retains about the same casting ability with the same weights.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:46 pm

Here is the spool gents, available in fixed rotor or SV. Per what hoohoorjoo stated, the fixed at half spool should cast 1/16 oz fine, but I'm not sure it would gain more distance than the factory spool. For 1/8+ BFS, this spool evidently bombs great for distance.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256802442 ... _shipto=US

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:25 am

The deep Ray's spool for the Gekkabijin/Alphas Air TW that Van referred to will do 1/16 with a half-full spool, but the fixed inductor version should do a little better. It is lighter and a fixed rotor usually does best with tiny lures. The added bonus is that it will handle up to 1/2 oz beautifully, provided you fill the spool fully. Otherwise, you will dump the entire spool on a cast.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.