Did the Zillion21 made the Met20 irrelevant?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Did the Zillion21 made the Met20 irrelevant?

Post by Johnny A » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:55 pm

karirick wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:56 am
i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:44 pm
SSS wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:10 am
karirick wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:43 am
SSS wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Have seen and heard a lot of people switching from their Mets to the new Zillion. Even tho the Metanium is more expensive, the zillion has a lot of advantages over it.

1. Plastic side plate and top makes this a perfect reel for cold weather.
2. Aluminum frame and handle side plates makes it salt water safe.
3. The SV spool is better at handling lower weights, casting in windy condition or skipping.
4. Same weight even tho the Met is a magnesium reel.
5. The zillion is smoother under load. Upgrade all its bushings and it becomes insanely smooth.
6. Excellent gear set (only had the duralumin one, so no experience with the brass set) that doesn't go buzzy within a year.
7. Compatible with a crazy amount of custom spools in the 34mm.
8. Noticeably less expensive.
9. T-wing. Not a big advantage to me, but with thicker lines, its pretty good.
Didn't actually fish with my Zillions; but yesterday got 2 Metanium shallow spool editions and palming the reel is much, much more comfortable. 5.8oz on my postal scale. The Zillion side plate (I'm a lefty) has a sharp edge where the adjustment dial is and hits my hand in just the wrong way. Couldn't stand it. I did test cast the Zillion many times at the football field and it casts great; it's 6 degrees outside now; so I will play with the Met later.

If Zillion didn't have that sharp knife edge thing pretty sure I would have kept them. Very nice reels.
Tbh the palming is a preference. They're both pretty small and comfy to palm. But i am not too sure where's the sharp edge on the zillion, tho.
Thought it was just me, I feel that edge too depending on how I grip the reel and which rod. It's the edge of the indent behind the dial that comes to a point and the angle or design element of the side plate. Luckily I have some on rods where I can grip without feeling it. Awesome reels aside from that.
Exactly! I have above avergare size hands and the way I hold the reel once I noticed it I couldn't not notice it.

Got 3 JDM Met's yesterday and they look good, palm well etc.

Hoping to test cast them this morning before football starts.

All $300 and up reels are great; so that's a good problem to have for all.

I ordered the Steez CT SV TW to try and it felt good; didn't cast like I thought; so it's going back.

Plus I got the 3 JDM Met's from JLS for less than one Steez. Wanted the clicker; but maybe a kit for the Met will come out one day.

I have good sized mitts too but find the Zillion SV TW 1000XXH to be very comfortable.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:27 pm

SSS wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:04 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
karirick wrote:
SSS wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Have seen and heard a lot of people switching from their Mets to the new Zillion. Even tho the Metanium is more expensive, the zillion has a lot of advantages over it.

1. Plastic side plate and top makes this a perfect reel for cold weather.
2. Aluminum frame and handle side plates makes it salt water safe.
3. The SV spool is better at handling lower weights, casting in windy condition or skipping.
4. Same weight even tho the Met is a magnesium reel.
5. The zillion is smoother under load. Upgrade all its bushings and it becomes insanely smooth.
6. Excellent gear set (only had the duralumin one, so no experience with the brass set) that doesn't go buzzy within a year.
7. Compatible with a crazy amount of custom spools in the 34mm.
8. Noticeably less expensive.
9. T-wing. Not a big advantage to me, but with thicker lines, its pretty good.
Didn't actually fish with my Zillions; but yesterday got 2 Metanium shallow spool editions and palming the reel is much, much more comfortable. 5.8oz on my postal scale. The Zillion side plate (I'm a lefty) has a sharp edge where the adjustment dial is and hits my hand in just the wrong way. Couldn't stand it. I did test cast the Zillion many times at the football field and it casts great; it's 6 degrees outside now; so I will play with the Met later.

If Zillion didn't have that sharp knife edge thing pretty sure I would have kept them. Very nice reels.
Tbh the palming is a preference. They're both pretty small and comfy to palm. But i am not too sure where's the sharp edge on the zillion, tho.
Thought it was just me, I feel that edge too depending on how I grip the reel and which rod. It's the edge of the indent behind the dial that comes to a point and the angle or design element of the side plate. Luckily I have some on rods where I can grip without feeling it. Awesome reels aside from that.
Can you just sand it off? I did something similar on one of my steez tw's a while back. Became way more comfy to palm.
It's this part of the reel, there is the pointy edge on the rear side of the brake dial:
Zillion 21.jpg
Zillion 21.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 922 times
I'd be scared to sand it and destroy the reel lol. Curious how you did that to the Steez. The "crease" on the Steez TW side plates became uncomfortable to me also when fishing with them for an extended period of time.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:54 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:27 pm
SSS wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
karirick wrote:

Can you just sand it off? I did something similar on one of my steez tw's a while back. Became way more comfy to palm.
It's this part of the reel, there is the pointy edge on the rear side of the brake dial:

Zillion 21.jpg

I'd be scared to sand it and destroy the reel lol. Curious how you did that to the Steez. The "crease" on the Steez TW side plates became uncomfortable to me also when fishing with them for an extended period of time.
This is such tiny tiny part of the side plate lol. Even if you wanted to, you can't destroy the whole reel from sanding it with something like 800grit. And even if you do destroy the side plate, which i am not sure how its even possible, i checked the prices on PLAT. The side plate is only $22 lol. If that part is all that bothers you, and you like everything else about this reel, you shouldn't even be thinking, just sand it and forget it was an issue.

This is what i did to my steez. The lower part was digging into my palm when using jerkbaits, so i sanded it off and buffed it a bit. Now its perfectly comfy and i forget it was once a problem.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:13 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:54 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:27 pm
SSS wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:
SSS wrote:

Zillion 21.jpg

This is such tiny tiny part of the side plate lol. Even if you wanted to, you can't destroy the whole reel from sanding it with something like 800grit. And even if you do destroy the side plate, which i am not sure how its even possible, i checked the prices on PLAT. The side plate is only $22 lol. If that part is all that bothers you, and you like everything else about this reel, you shouldn't even be thinking, just sand it and forget it was an issue.

This is what i did to my steez. The lower part was digging into my palm when using jerkbaits, so i sanded it off and buffed it a bit. Now its perfectly comfy and i forget it was once a problem.
Nice work! I would have never thought to nor think I have the guts to take sandpaper to a Steez haha

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:35 am

I see no reason why one reel would replace another. Both are very good reels, I have multiples of both.
I am surprised to see you guys complaining about rough sections on the reels, I guess everyone has different shaped hands and it's inevitable that some people will find small sections poke at them.
I love both of my Zillions and Mets, but find the Zillions to be much less finicky when casting.
I have noticed one of my Mets not feeling as smooth as when it was new. Some people call it geary.