Did the Zillion21 made the Met20 irrelevant?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Did the Zillion21 made the Met20 irrelevant?

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm

Have seen and heard a lot of people switching from their Mets to the new Zillion. Even tho the Metanium is more expensive, the zillion has a lot of advantages over it.

1. Plastic side plate and top makes this a perfect reel for cold weather.
2. Aluminum frame and handle side plates makes it salt water safe.
3. The SV spool is better at handling lower weights, casting in windy condition or skipping.
4. Same weight even tho the Met is a magnesium reel.
5. The zillion is smoother under load. Upgrade all its bushings and it becomes insanely smooth.
6. Excellent gear set (only had the duralumin one, so no experience with the brass set) that doesn't go buzzy within a year.
7. Compatible with a crazy amount of custom spools in the 34mm.
8. Noticeably less expensive.
9. T-wing. Not a big advantage to me, but with thicker lines, its pretty good.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Did the Zillion21 made the Met20 irrelevant?

Post by karirick » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:43 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Have seen and heard a lot of people switching from their Mets to the new Zillion. Even tho the Metanium is more expensive, the zillion has a lot of advantages over it.

3. The SV spool is better at handling lower weights, casting in windy condition or skipping.
5. The zillion is smoother under load. Upgrade all its bushings and it becomes insanely smooth.
6. Excellent gear set (only had the duralumin one, so no experience with the brass set) that doesn't go buzzy within a year.
Didn't actually fish with my Zillions; but yesterday got 2 Metanium shallow spool editions and palming the reel is much, much more comfortable. 5.8oz on my postal scale. The Zillion side plate (I'm a lefty) has a sharp edge where the adjustment dial is and hits my hand in just the wrong way. Couldn't stand it. I did test cast the Zillion many times at the football field and it casts great; it's 6 degrees outside now; so I will play with the Met later.

If Zillion didn't have that sharp knife edge thing pretty sure I would have kept them. Very nice reels.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:10 am

karirick wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:43 am
SSS wrote:

Didn't actually fish with my Zillions; but yesterday got 2 Metanium shallow spool editions and palming the reel is much, much more comfortable. 5.8oz on my postal scale. The Zillion side plate (I'm a lefty) has a sharp edge where the adjustment dial is and hits my hand in just the wrong way. Couldn't stand it. I did test cast the Zillion many times at the football field and it casts great; it's 6 degrees outside now; so I will play with the Met later.

If Zillion didn't have that sharp knife edge thing pretty sure I would have kept them. Very nice reels.
Tbh the palming is a preference. They're both pretty small and comfy to palm. But i am not too sure where's the sharp edge on the zillion, tho.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:10 am
Tbh the palming is a preference. They're both pretty small and comfy to palm. But i am not too sure where's the sharp edge on the zillion, tho.
It's all a preference... like trying to compare a magnesium reel to one that is aluminum. The more apples to apples comparison in this category would be the Chronarch G or Bantam MGL A to the Zillion.

There is no parallel in Daiwa's lineup to the Metanium.

MG reels are always more expensive than AL reels and for most people, price is the deciding factor.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:57 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 am
SSS wrote:
It's all a preference... like trying to compare a magnesium reel to one that is aluminum. The more apples to apples comparison in this category would be the Chronarch G or Bantam MGL A to the Zillion.

There is no parallel in Daiwa's lineup to the Metanium.

MG reels are always more expensive than AL reels and for most people, price is the deciding factor.
The reason why i am comparing it to the Met is because the Zillion feels and fishes like a more expensive reel than it really is. Comparing it to the Bantam would make more sense, but that reel is so heavy that its like using a round reel at that point, and it simply wouldn't be a great choice for something like jerkbaits. As an all around reel, i think the Met and the Zillion are very comparable.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:10 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:57 am
As an all around reel, i think the Met and the Zillion are very comparable.
Performance wise, yes, but again, for most people, price is the deciding factor. So if performance is similar, they're going to go with the more affordable option.

And the Metanium is simply the MG version of the Bantam at this point - used to be the Chronarch.

As a side note, the new Bantam MGL A is nniiiccceeeee ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:46 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 am
If weight isn't a factor (and somehow Daiwa managed to come within 0.4oz if we're comparing brass gear to brass gear) - what are advantages to MG reels?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:04 am

reason162 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:46 am
what are advantages to MG reels?
Weight :)

The Met 20 is essentially a MG version of the original Bantam MGL from 18 (I think that was the year)... the Met 20 is 1.3oz lighter than that Bantam.
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:17 am

Oh and at this point, I believe the Steez is more or less an MG version of the Zillion - but i could be wrong about that. I've not been following the Steez line too closely last few years/iterations as the cost to acquire has me kinda "meh" ... can you imagine that? :lol:

I did acquire and writeup the Steez Limited but I'm not as in tune with all the Steez variants as I once was.
Cal, Managing Editor

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:17 am
Oh and at this point, I believe the Steez is more or less an MG version of the Zillion - but i could be wrong about that. I've not been following the Steez line too closely last few years/iterations as the cost to acquire has me kinda "meh" ... can you imagine that? :lol:

I did acquire and writeup the Steez Limited but I'm not as in tune with all the Steez variants as I once was.
Cal, what is your favorite do it all casting reel?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:20 pm

jprice92 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:44 pm
Cal, what is your favorite do it all casting reel?
:lol: changes every few weeks during the season depending on what I need to test/fish 🤷‍♂️😆
Cal, Managing Editor

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:44 pm

SSS wrote:
karirick wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thought it was just me, I feel that edge too depending on how I grip the reel and which rod. It's the edge of the indent behind the dial that comes to a point and the angle or design element of the side plate. Luckily I have some on rods where I can grip without feeling it. Awesome reels aside from that.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:04 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:44 pm
SSS wrote:
karirick wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thought it was just me, I feel that edge too depending on how I grip the reel and which rod. It's the edge of the indent behind the dial that comes to a point and the angle or design element of the side plate. Luckily I have some on rods where I can grip without feeling it. Awesome reels aside from that.
Can you just sand it off? I did something similar on one of my steez tw's a while back. Became way more comfy to palm.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:56 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:44 pm
SSS wrote:
karirick wrote:
SSS wrote:

Exactly! I have above avergare size hands and the way I hold the reel once I noticed it I couldn't not notice it.

Got 3 JDM Met's yesterday and they look good, palm well etc.

Hoping to test cast them this morning before football starts.

All $300 and up reels are great; so that's a good problem to have for all.

I ordered the Steez CT SV TW to try and it felt good; didn't cast like I thought; so it's going back.

Plus I got the 3 JDM Met's from JLS for less than one Steez. Wanted the clicker; but maybe a kit for the Met will come out one day.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:53 am

I‘m also in on the palming issue on the Zillion. I like my index finger in the front and it just doesn’t work. Price, gearing, clicker… all rendered worthless because it doesn’t feel right in hand.
Casting wise I prefer the Metanium 70, especially with PE1.0 and 5/16 to 3/8oz total weight the Met accelerates faster and bombs further. Only the Shallow Metanium does that a bit better.

You can get clicker for the Metanium on AliExpress. Not as refined as the stock ones but you can tweak around with them to the desired sound / resistance. I’ve put them in all reels that don’t come with one.