Are the DC brakes overhyped in your opinion?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Are the DC brakes overhyped?

Yes
58%
No
30%
No experience with them
13%

Total votes: 40

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Are the DC brakes overhyped in your opinion?

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:46 pm

How do you feel about the Shimano's DC braking system?

As someone who has had a Conquest 100DC TE, couple of Met DC MG, Conquest 50DC and the 2015 Met DC, which is the only DC reel that i currently own, i think they're just alright. I like the sound quite a lot, but that's pretty much the only "advantage" i would give a DC reel over other shimano or daiwa offerings. I am not casting further (unless the other reel uses an SV spool), and i am certainly not casting better when throwing at head wind. I also dislike how DC reels are heavier on average and have much heavier spools as well.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Are the DC brakes overhyped in your opinion?

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 pm

Here is what I will say. My partner was a Shimano man with several DC models. He backlashed more with the DC than his non-DC Metaniums.

We were throwing spinnerbait on windy points. After borrowing my SV103 he now has 4 Zillions.

And I don't have to listen to that awful sound all day.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:57 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 pm
Here is what I will say. My partner was a Shimano man with several DC models. He backlashed more with the DC than his non-DC Metaniums.

We were throwing spinnerbait on windy points. After borrowing my SV103 he now has 4 Zillions.

You might be the first person i ever hear not liking the dc whine :lol:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 pm

No. They are nice and there is not that much hype imo.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:45 pm

I have 2- 17 Scorpions, 2- 21 Scorpions and a Calcutta Conquest 100HG. I have a bunch of other reels, several Metaniums, Scorpion 70's, Chronarch's, Zillions, Millionaires, Tatula's etc.. I like fishing with ever single one of them and enjoy the different differences in every single one of them. I personally DO find the DC's more agreeable in the wind but I also find most of my Daiwa's to be the same and I will pick a DC or Daiwa if I know the conditions lead me that way. So I guess that's a long winded way of saying I like them and don't think they're overhyped more than any other reel that's came out supposedly going to be the end all. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:26 pm

When I am fishing at night, and have a few drinks in me, I prefer the DC braking system.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:39 pm

No they are. I have not found those hyped at all. :)

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:35 am

No, Shimano DC reels are not overhyped. I like them for fishing in the wind and throwing large light lures ( jerkbaits/buzzbaits).
They are not the solution for all. If that was the case then Shimano would be making only DC reels.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:48 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:57 pm
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 pm

You might be the first person i ever hear not liking the dc whine :lol:
Beautiful lake, bird chirping, a real lovely day....last thing I want to hear is that whine ever 30 seconds for hours on end.

Nothing is more fool proof than an SV spool on max breaking.

I do veteran outings. Had a 20 year Air force man in the boat. Never used a baitcaster. Handed him an SV103 on max and said back it down as you get comfortable. He was tossing chatterbaits and calling his shot in 30 minutes.

All that said, Shimano makes a heck of a product and you'd be lucky to have one.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:27 pm

Love my DC reels, I have a Conquest DC200HG, 2 DC 100HG's, and an Exsense. They cast great, but its nice that they are more forgiving. On a calm day with no wind, I can cast my Bantam and Metaniums the same or further than a a DC reel, but when the wind gets up I am more consistent with a DC reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:11 am

John2204 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:27 pm
Love my DC reels, I have a Conquest DC200HG, 2 DC 100HG's, and an Exsense. They cast great, but its nice that they are more forgiving. On a calm day with no wind, I can cast my Bantam and Metaniums the same or further than a a DC reel, but when the wind gets up I am more consistent with a DC reel.
People say that they're forgiving and that they're great to cast at head winds. But the thing is, daiwa and their sv spools have been doing this noticeably better for almost a decade now, and no electronic brakes are needed for it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:33 am

DC braking has its time and place and advantages over centrifugal braking. I did post many years here that it's rather ironic that Shimano's top tier braking system is essentially an electronically controlled mag brake...but I digress.

IMHO, 3D Mag Z and if it existed, 3D Mag V, would "incorporate" all other types of mag brakes into one platform.

While I really enjoyed my first DC Calcutta Conquest 100 from well over 12 years ago, the sound becomes annoying on quiet days where I would rather hear the natural surrounds. And no, I personally haven't experienced better control in wind or calm settings with DC braking versus properly set/well designed Mag braking.

The main reason I sold all my older Shimano DCs, even though I preferred the older DC settings and profiles better (i.e., OG Exsence DC and Calcutta Conquest 100), I didn't want to deal with replacing a very expensive DC module, or not being able to locate one as the model become older and no longer supported with parts.

YMMV
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:48 am

I voted for overhyped, even though I do love the sound they make. I have only had experience with the metanium dc, but I greatly prefer the zillion sv tw over it overall.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:26 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:33 am
DC braking has its time and place and advantages over centrifugal braking. I did post many years here that it's rather ironic that Shimano's top tier braking system is essentially an electronically controlled mag brake...but I digress.

IMHO, 3D Mag Z and if it existed, 3D Mag V, would "incorporate" all other types of mag brakes into one platform.

While I really enjoyed my first DC Calcutta Conquest 100 from well over 12 years ago, the sound becomes annoying on quiet days where I would rather hear the natural surrounds. And no, I personally haven't experienced better control in wind or calm settings with DC braking versus properly set/well designed Mag braking.

The main reason I sold all my older Shimano DCs, even though I preferred the older DC settings and profiles better (i.e., OG Exsence DC and Calcutta Conquest 100), I didn't want to deal with replacing a very expensive DC module, or not being able to locate one as the model become older and no longer supported with parts.

YMMV
Sounds about right

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:52 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:33 am

YMMV
Yea, if DC brakes were actually breaking, i would never even consider buying a DC reel. What are they? Like $180 for the Met DC module? That beyond ridiculous. But at least, as far as i am aware, there isn't enough complexity for them to break. I've heard stories of people leaving their DC reel inside their car in the middle of summer, and that melted the inside, and the braking or just the sound would be completely gone, but other than that, you don't hear anyone complain about them breaking, and you never see a used DC reel with a broken DC module.