New Finesse/BFS reel for salt water

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrSteveBrule
Angler
Angler

New Finesse/BFS reel for salt water

Post by DrSteveBrule » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:18 am

Hi all!

Been lurking around for a while now but still could not make a decision so decided it might be easier to ask. :roll:
I am looking for a new baitcaster for lighter weights (3g-12g) that Id be using mostly for sea fishing(perch/zander with a chance of accidental pike). I won’t be pitching or flipping at least yet and just do regular over head and side casting on open water from a boat. Lure weights are estimates but aim for something closer to 5g than 15g.
This whole BFS is kinda new to me, but recently saw a Curado BFS which kinda opened the portal to this world. However, Im a bit worried about the line capacity on these reels but at the same wish to have the option to buy a bfs rod for the reel to give it a go.
Kinda clueless what to pick..I suppose I could buy a reel with a lot of different spools and parts available for purchase but I’ve never really maintained or modded any reels before so the thought of opening up an expensive reel scares me a bit.
I am not really interested in buying a cheap BFS reel from China either as their durability worries me and would rather stick with familiar brands like Shimano/Daiwa.
Is there a finesse baitcaster with line capacity closer to 80-100 yards that would allow me to experiment and see if my next reel should be pure BFS or not? Or reels that could easily be transformed into that direction?
I already have reels like Curado DPV 201 and some Ambassadeurs that I use for pike fishing and would like something a lot lighter. I also fly fish so doubt Id use a baitcaster for streams/trout fishing but who knows what future brings :big grin:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New Finesse/BFS reel for salt water

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. We're glad you decided to join us. It sounds to me like you want a reel that is closer to the "power bfs" spectrum. The Alphas SV TW shallow spool version would get you into that territory for around $200 USD. It is an excellent reel that is easily capable of 4 grams with light braid. I would suggest you use that braid, with a short leader that doesn't let the knot onto the spool. Line capacity won't be an issue if you go that route.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm
First off, welcome to the forum. We're glad you decided to join us. It sounds to me like you want a reel that is closer to the "power bfs" spectrum. The Alphas SV TW shallow spool version would get you into that territory for around $200 USD. It is an excellent reel that is easily capable of 4 grams with light braid. I would suggest you use that braid, with a short leader that doesn't let the knot onto the spool. Line capacity won't be an issue if you go that route.
I agree. I have the standard Alphas SV TW and it would be my choice for your style of fishing. Roro does make a shallow BFS spool for the Alphas SV TW (both versions) if you decide you will be casting lighter lures in the future. Zero modifications needed. Just swap the spools and done.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DrSteveBrule
Angler
Angler

Post by DrSteveBrule » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Thank you for welcoming me and for the quick
help! Glad to be here! \:D/ So if I understood correctly both of you recommended me to get the Alphas SV TW and the ”shallow spool version” is obtained via aftermarket parts mentioned by Hobie-Wan?

Also, is a round reel like a Calcutta Conquest BFS completely out of the question for power BFS? Must admit that the price of an Alphas is a lot better when it comes to learning the ropes of maintenance/modding and light weight fishing in general.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:59 pm

No, there is an 800 and an 800S model, "S" designating the shallower spool version. It isn't a true BFS spool, but it is shallower than the spool in the standard model. Also, the S model has 8.5 gear ratio in the XH designation, while the standard model is 8.1 gear ratio in the XH designation.
The Conquest bfs would also fit your needs. It looks from what you've posted that you still have and use other round reels, though I enjoy the small profile of the Alphas immensely.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrSteveBrule
Angler
Angler

Post by DrSteveBrule » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 am

Alright, thanks for clarifying hoohoorjoo. Would a Daiwa 21 Zillion SV TW be as good as an option as the Alphas SV TW 800S? I like its looks a bit more and price difference is not huge during Black Friday sales.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 am

DrSteveBrule wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 am
Alright, thanks for clarifying hoohoorjoo. Would a Daiwa 21 Zillion SV TW be as good as an option as the Alphas SV TW 800S? I like its looks a bit more and price difference is not huge during Black Friday sales.
Welcome to forum DrSteveBrule! I have 2016 model Zillion sv tw and 2 of BFS spools for it. In my opinion Zillion is too big and heavy reel for BFS, despite of there is available of BFS spools for Zillion. I don't have Alphas 800, but I have Alphas ct and Alphas GekkaBijin Air, and those are nicely palmable little reels, which I like very much. Zillion sv tw is also great reel but for heavier use.

DrSteveBrule
Angler
Angler

Post by DrSteveBrule » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:58 am

Thanks! Isnt it only 15g difference between the two? Havent held/palmed any of these but on video there isnt a huge difference. According to some research the Zillion is very versatile and should be able to do pure BFS too.
At this point I am not sure if in future I’ll prefer casting sub 5g or closer to 10g weights. Kinda looking for a great platform to explore and try what I enjoy most.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:26 am

DrSteveBrule wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:58 am
Thanks! Isnt it only 15g difference between the two? Havent held/palmed any of these but on video there isnt a huge difference. According to some research the Zillion is very versatile and should be able to do pure BFS too.
At this point I am not sure if in future I’ll prefer casting sub 5g or closer to 10g weights. Kinda looking for a great platform to explore and try what I enjoy most.
I have used couple of times Zillion sv tw for pure BFS with short and light one hand rod, and it felt really heavy and bulky...If you are going to use 2 hand rod's then it's probably different story also with lightest lures. But it's 34 mm spool and it has more starting inertia than in smaller spools. But if you are going to use little longer 2 hand rod's, this will help also with starting inertia. 34 mm short axle reels like Zillion sv tw is most versatile in case of aftermarket spools, because those are for 34 mm more than other sizes. With 2 aftermarket spools Zillion sv tw can handle lures of 2 g - 100 g :D

But as you are trying light baitcasting, I would suggest Alphas over Zillion.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:34 am

There is still an aftermarket BFS spool for the Alphas SV TW, regardless of what model you select. I should have been more clear
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:48 am

I don't think the newer Zillion 21 SV TW 1000 reels are bulky by any means and I can cast weights down to 5g quite well with mine. The current Zillion comes in @ 175g which is the same weight as the Alphas. The Alphas do better in the lower weight ranges and are a good bit cheaper. I prefer the ergonomics of the Zillion over the Alphas but they are both great platforms and a bargain lately.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:13 pm

DrSteveBrule wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 am
The Alphas is absurdly small in hand. To me, it's the best palming reel I've ever used,(tied with the Steez CT). I have 5 variants with this Alphas frame now, and will be acquiring one more, the Silver Creek TW. The Zillion is a compact reel, as well, but not as small as the Alphas.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:37 pm

The smallest reels I use in saltwater would be my alpha sv105 or type r, Daiwa does make the coastal tw in a 80 edition now but it has a pretty deep spool compared to a bfs reel.

DrSteveBrule
Angler
Angler

Post by DrSteveBrule » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:17 am

Still havent made up my mind with these. :oops:
Looking at the line capacity of Alphas air tw for example (0.16mm 90m), line strength of ~15 to 20 pounds (~7kg-10kg) should be enough for my needs. Should've paid more attention to this as it seems most AIR/BFS reels fits enough...
Knowing I'd be casting a wider range and perhaps a bit more towards power BFS than sub 5g lures, should I take durability into consideration between the Alphas SV TW - Alphas Air for example?
Does these breaking news about my line requirements change anything when it comes to your suggestions? :D To me it seems I can pick any BFS reel as long as it handles salt water..Roro spools arent super cheap so I'd rather just have a reel out of the box that fits my needs.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:07 am

Good sports equipment are important and for enthusiastic baitcaster fisherman good reel is really important, because it feels in every cast and in every crank…It is always hard decision which is best reel for purpose. Alphas Air is really nice BFS reel (Actually I don’t have std. Alphas Air, but Gekkabijin and ct Alphas with K.T.F. spool) and it’s saltwater fine. I don’t know which line are you planning to put in it, but line capacity might be issue with 5-10 g lures. But you can purchase deep spool for it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255019237412 (Not so expensive than Roro’s.) Obviously it's a good spool: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=88844 And yes, Roro’s are expensive as Chinese aftermarket spools.