Steez A II Tws

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez A II Tws

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:17 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:51 am
amso4 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 am
I just picked up the new 23 Steez AII and the 21 Steez A HLC from JLS. I was surprised at the big difference between the spools. I did not realize that Magforce Z and Mag-Z were not necessarily the same thing. Granted the HLC spools is 36mm and the others are 34, the inductor sits much lower and has a stiffer spring in the Magforce Z spool when compared to the Mag-Z spool. I put the RCS SV spool for comparison. I bet they will perform very differently with the Magforce Z being much faster than the Mag-Z.

Have not thrown either yet due to the weather.

magfore and mag z spools sidex.jpgmagfore and mag z spools topx.jpg
The two are both Magforce Z spools. They operate on the same principal. Centrifugal weights inside the spool extend the induction rotor into the magnets. There will be little differences from spool to spool like inductor length, thickness and spring rates. These differences occur even in SV spools.

The HLC spools are either Magforce Z or Magforce Z Boost. Their big difference is the short, sometimes tapered inductor with a very stiff spring. They are very fast spools for bomb casting baits that sail well through the air and should be used with a line that pass through the reel and guides without getting in its own way such a braid or smaller diameter non braid. I have the original HLC spool in an IP68 and it will make an entire spool of 50# braid dissappear with the long casting Terminator frog. If I try to pitch the same bait its a nightmare. I could never imagine spooling it with heavy flouro and casting plastics. Nightmare fuel to think about. Maybe the new Boost HLC is more forgiving.
Nice! Is there a Mag Z Boost 36mm that drops in the OG Zillion and TD Fuego?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 am

Yeah, it's from the Steez A HLC.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:49 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 am
How does it compare to the Zillion PE, Megabass IP Honeycomb, and DIY Zillion 36 mm spools? I have read that you said the OG Rays 36mm was the best in the OG Zillion/TD Fuego/TDZ 100M
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:49 pm
LowRange wrote:
How does it compare to the Zillion PE, Megabass IP Honeycomb, and DIY Zillion 36 mm spools? I have read that you said the OG Rays 36mm was the best in the OG Zillion/TD Fuego/TDZ 100M
No idea. Its an HLC Magforce Z Boost spool so I would expect TD Zillion HLC but with a bit more versatility thanks to the two part spring likely offering a soft and stiff spring instead of one stiff on/off spring. It might actually be useable making soft casts only compression the soft spring to partially extend the inductor instead of the OG HLC that stays pined to the side of the spool unless you bomb cast.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
No idea. Its an HLC Magforce Z Boost spool so I would expect TD Zillion HLC but with a bit more versatility thanks to the two part spring likely offering a soft and stiff spring instead of one stiff on/off spring. It might actually be useable making soft casts only compression the soft spring to partially extend the inductor instead of the OG HLC that stays pined to the side of the spool unless you bomb cast.
Thanks for the input.

What about the OG Rays 36mm spool?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Some say that the Steez hlc spool is a crazy horse wild child
I think it’s not so bad but !! You need to take your time and get it dialed in for how you fish.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:54 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm
I think it’s not so bad but !! You need to take your time and get it dialed in for how you fish.
Right on brother, thanks for your input. Would it be a worthwhile install in an OG Zillion and what lures and techs do you think it would excel for?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:21 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:54 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm
Right on brother, thanks for your input. Would it be a worthwhile install in an OG Zillion and what lures and techs do you think it would excel for?
I’ve not ran it in the OG zillion but my spool of choice in that reel for the OG zillion is an ip79 spool however some people prefer the 100m spool
If your gonna consider the Steez hlc spool vs the OG zillion hlc spool I have to say this
With the Z boost spools just as with most Z boost spools, the spool slows down and then it seems to speed back up before the lure lands in the water and it’s the weirdest thing to me. So I try to dial in the reel precisely. I don’t particularly think that Z boost spools give you the ability or capability to use lighter than normal lures but it definitely gives you more distance. So to answer your question definitively
It would depend on what your goal/ use is.
3/8 and above imho more than worth it if you’re casting off of a point and dragging jigs or soft swimbaits. I’d even say that if casting weight less soft plastic swimbaits over the pads and swimming a lure back as you’ll had the comfort of being off the pads or cover
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:35 pm

[/quote]I’ve not ran it in the OG zillion but my spool of choice in that reel for the OG zillion is an ip79 spool however some people prefer the 100m spool
If your gonna consider the Steez hlc spool vs the OG zillion hlc spool I have to say this
With the Z boost spools just as with most Z boost spools, the spool slows down and then it seems to speed back up before the lure lands in the water and it’s the weirdest thing to me. So I try to dial in the reel precisely. I don’t particularly think that Z boost spools give you the ability or capability to use lighter than normal lures but it definitely gives you more distance. So to answer your question definitively
It would depend on what your goal/ use is.
3/8 and above imho more than worth it if you’re casting off of a point and dragging jigs or soft swimbaits. I’d even say that if casting weight less soft plastic swimbaits over the pads and swimming a lure back as you’ll had the comfort of being off the pads or cover
[/quote]

Appreciate it bro...sounds like I need to just located another Megabass IP Honeycomb for my typical usage.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:18 pm
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Thanks for the input.

What about the OG Rays 36mm spool?
I like that one as a pitching and plastics spool. I use mine a lot in my IP68 to pitch and skip weightless plastics on a gen 1 xx PP. Let's me use the HLC spool with braid for frogs and heavier flouro for the Ray's. Hard to find though. The current one is really shallow and highly ported. I wouldn't want to use that one. A modern analog would be the 1516 Zillion TWS rays spool. It wouldn't fit the TD Zillion but it would give the Zillon TWS similar performance to the 1st gen Ray's TD Zillion spool.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:45 am

Kool thanks for the update. That's the only shortcoming of the OG Zillion 36 mm, the lack of available aftermarket spool compatibility, and lack of variety from other Zillion variances (aside the 36mm US Trail Gigas). The lone standout is the SV103.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am

Does anyone have any on the water experience with the steez a II yet? Was thinking of getting one to toss around worms but recent comments saying pitching with this spool would be a nightmare has me second guessing it.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:18 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am
Does anyone have any on the water experience with the steez a II yet? Was thinking of getting one to toss around worms but recent comments saying pitching with this spool would be a nightmare has me second guessing it.
Yep.
Got 2, will be picking up a 3rd.
Why would you think it wouldn’t be good for pitchin’, if I may ask?
That’s the 2nd thing I bought it for. Crankin’ is for the first.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:18 am
jprice92 wrote:
Yep.
I'm not sure, that was based on others comments about the hlc spools not being suited for pitching.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:40 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:18 am
jprice92 wrote:
Yep.
I'm not sure, that was based on others comments about the hlc spools not being suited for pitching.
I think they are 2 different types of spools. The HLC could be the spool designed for weights > 1/2 oz. I had the Zillion HD and it was not good for weights < 1/2 oz.