Skeet Reese goes to Kast King?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Skeet Reese goes to Kast King?

Post by tincanary » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:13 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:46 am
tincanary wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 pm
Keep in mind a lot of the pros aren't gear nerds like we are. To them, it's a tool to do a job. To us, it's that and much more. They take it out of the box, fish it till it breaks, then buy another. Sometimes they might get an outing out of that piece of gear or they may get multiple seasons. For as much as I love the higher end stuff, I'll never forget where I came from. I too fished the cheaper stuff in years past and truthfully, some of the most proficient fishermen I know use nothing but Ugly Stiks and blister pack reels from Walmart. They think I am the one that's crazy for spending good money on rods and reels.
Agreed...but for me it's about principles of what I discover and research myself instead of just falling in line with any program from ANY institution...not just hyperbole from feeshing pros.

I was in the auto industry for 17 years, certified with 14 brands, and spent the last 10 years with "luxury makes"...I can't tell you how many times I saw peeps paying massive premiums for "lipstick on a pig".
Oh yeah I see that stuff daily living near the GM Tech Center. I feel like that was one of the big reasons for their financial issues 15 years ago, too much lipstick on a pig and models competing across different product lines from the same company.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:28 am

tincanary wrote:
Keep in mind a lot of the pros aren't gear nerds like we are. To them, it's a tool to do a job. To us, it's that and much more. They take it out of the box, fish it till it breaks, then buy another. Sometimes they might get an outing out of that piece of gear or they may get multiple seasons. For as much as I love the higher end stuff, I'll never forget where I came from. I too fished the cheaper stuff in years past and truthfully, some of the most proficient fishermen I know use nothing but Ugly Stiks and blister pack reels from Walmart. They think I am the one that's crazy for spending good money on rods and reels.
They may not be gear nerds but I couldn’t imagine my bread and butter being ANYTHING except being the most dependable available. You ever watch a tournament and see a rod snap or reel jam? Let’s talk “Pucker Factor ALPHA”. Especially a Classic or MLF tourney.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:14 am

tincanary wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:13 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:46 am
tincanary wrote:
Agreed...but for me it's about principles of what I discover and research myself instead of just falling in line with any program from ANY institution...not just hyperbole from feeshing pros.

I was in the auto industry for 17 years, certified with 14 brands, and spent the last 10 years with "luxury makes"...I can't tell you how many times I saw peeps paying massive premiums for "lipstick on a pig".
Oh yeah I see that stuff daily living near the GM Tech Center. I feel like that was one of the big reasons for their financial issues 15 years ago, too much lipstick on a pig and models competing across different product lines from the same company.
Yeppers...GM (now "Government Motors" :P ), cannibalized their own lineups through too many water downed duplicate product branding...hence the demise of Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer, and Saturn (even though OG autonomous/independent Saturn was excellent, profitable and moving in the right direction overall)....lots of corporate Ineptitude and government involvement that were responsible for the erosion of GM (and many other corps) throughout the generations.

Apologies to the OP for getting off course.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:15 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:17 am
There are budgets for people and also many people don't care so much about what gear they use.

Do you drive a Lamborghini or Porsche? If you drive that lowly Ford, Chevy or Dodge, you must not care about the safety of your passengers and also love to have a sluggish, sloppy ride. You must never buy off brand items from the grocery store either.
Come now, that might apply for 50 dollar KKs and pissyfuns to use as loaners and beaters but $220 - for a kastking!

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 am

Not sure about you guys, but Skeet could probably out fish me any day with his Kastking gear. My high dollar daiwas and shimanos wouldn't stand a chance.
It's the fishermen not necessarily the gear.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am

I fished with a well known guide and tournament fisherman out here in SoCal, who is sponsored by a particular brand. I knew I should've raised my hand when he told me to 'not bring anything, I've got it all'

So, get to the lake, and he hands me his sponsor's equipment.

Now, I don't know about you all, but I have my rods and reels dialed in and I have gone through a lot to make sure they are optimized for the style of fishing that I do.

Needless to say, the mid-end gear just felt weird in my hands.

A few months later, our club has their yearly 2 day tournament in Lake Havasu, and we are there at the same time the MLF is having their big event. I ran into the guy at the weigh in as he was trailering, so I went to say hi.

None of this rod and reel sponsor's gear was on deck. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am
I fished with a well known guide and tournament fisherman out here in SoCal, who is sponsored by a particular brand. I knew I should've raised my hand when he told me to 'not bring anything, I've got it all'

So, get to the lake, and he hands me his sponsor's equipment.

Now, I don't know about you all, but I have my rods and reels dialed in and I have gone through a lot to make sure they are optimized for the style of fishing that I do.

Needless to say, the mid-end gear just felt weird in my hands.

A few months later, our club has their yearly 2 day tournament in Lake Havasu, and we are there at the same time the MLF is having their big event. I ran into the guy at the weigh in as he was trailering, so I went to say hi.

None of this rod and reel sponsor's gear was on deck. :lol:
Yeppers....like catching Roland or Jimmy still sneaking in some Shimanos, or some guys throwing MB 110s, custom rods, etc. It's always been the norm, even when the Pros had endorsement deals with top end companies.

Like Fender said on Robots..."one's for show and one's for blow".
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:20 pm

mrpao wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 am
Not sure about you guys, but Skeet could probably out fish me any day with his Kastking gear. My high dollar daiwas and shimanos wouldn't stand a chance.
It's the fishermen not necessarily the gear.
I, and MANY others....likely don't live vicariously through a pro's abilities, nor is our personal enjoyment and memories made through what abilities we do not possess, in another humanoid's flesh and blood form.

Just sayin' what should be just as obvious

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:14 am

KastKing's innovation; Swing Gauge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3JpmzdYeSg&t=150s I guess also this innovation is patented, to protect it not to be stolen by Shimano or Daiwa.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:18 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:14 am
KastKing's innovation; Swing Gauge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3JpmzdYeSg&t=150s I guess also this innovation is patented, to protect it not to be stolen by Shimano or Daiwa.
I was under the impression that nary any patent or intellectual property was ever honored under the Corporate Globalist CCP...less they own or have a controlling stake in said entity. :P

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 am

Strange...They state that their cone -shaped line guide is patented?
ADVANCED LINE GUIDE - The patented LFTV (Low Friction Tapered Vortex) Line Guide decreases the angle at which the line enters the guide, limiting friction during casts.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 am
ADVANCED LINE GUIDE - The patented LFTV (Low Friction Tapered Vortex) Line Guide decreases the angle at which the line enters the guide, limiting friction during casts.
They probably just copyrighted the name.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:04 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 am
They probably just copyrighted the name.
And used a Billy Gates Google translate on their iPhone. Poke... :whistle:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:28 am

Wow KK has introduced an innovation into the fishing industry? That's almost as impressive as Googan squad releasing a fishing pole that is more sensitive than a branch i found while bank fishing.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:28 am
Wow KK has introduced an innovation into the fishing industry?
:D Yes, and Swing Gauge isn't the only one innovation they have introduced. At least they have earlier introduced FAF brake, which actually is evolution from Shimano's FTB brake.