Open-ended question about reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Open-ended question about reels

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:00 am

jwalker497 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:15 am
I like the smaller body reels especially with these lighter rods.

but when i go out i don’t have a boat so sometimes i’m throwing all kinds of stuff on 1 rod and reel.

I just want to make sure the smaller CT can handle up to ounce if need be.

And the SV can handle a little over 1oz on occasion

I’m assuming the steez A, i don’t have any is a bigger body reel than even the Steez SV
I think a CT, whether the Steez, Alphas, or Millionaire would absolutely SCREAM with a 1oz weight. I run 8lb fluorocarbon on mine (think they all have the same spool)., and even a 3/16 jighead with plastic seems to load the spool. I do have a ML rod, but using a 3.5gram head with a 2" Easy Shiner really spins that spool hard. Personally, I think any of the CT reels max around 1/2oz, from my experience with that spool at least.
As far as durability goes, I haven't seen anyone mention a Steez CT or any CT reel getting rough, but I figure most aren't using them for heavier duty applications.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:50 am

jwalker497 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:15 am
I like the smaller body reels especially with these lighter rods.

but when i go out i don’t have a boat so sometimes i’m throwing all kinds of stuff on 1 rod and reel.

I just want to make sure the smaller CT can handle up to ounce if need be.

And the SV can handle a little over 1oz on occasion

I’m assuming the steez A, i don’t have any is a bigger body reel than even the Steez SV
Since you already have the reel, why don’t you try those first better than worry for the reels you don’t have. There is no one size fit all, or not all using the gears the same.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:47 am

jwalker497 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:28 am
i have a set of NRX rods
852c

Thinking steez cat clr the 852-893
the steez sc for the 873
the steez A for the 894-895

Also have a few moving bait and too water rods
same thought process there
Medium rods CT, Med-Heavy the SV, The Heavy would be Steez A
This is what I would go with depending if you're a Daiwa or Shimano fan. I like Daiwa reels, but have a few Metaniums. You're not going to want to throw 1 oz baits on either the 852 or 893. They would be really underpowered.

852 - Steez CT or Met
893 - Steez CT/Zillion or Met
873 - Zillion/Steez SV TW or Met/Bantam
895 - Steez A2/Zillion HD or Bantam

These are my reel and rod pairings:

842 - Steez CT
893 - Met
873 - Met
905 - Zillion HD

The new Zillion HD is a JDM reel and differs from the regular JDM Zillion by having brass gears and a 100 mm handle. It can handle up to 1 oz baits with the aluminum frame and brass gears.