Open-ended question about reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Open-ended question about reels

Post by jwalker497 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 pm

As a newbie to bass fishing, i had to familiarize myself with rod action lengths and powers and understand where rods shine and the limitations, leo’s and cons within. I think i have a basic understanding of that. So now i need some help when it comes to reels.

I am still not clear on understanding the power and strengths of certain reels compared to others, where each one shines over others and the limitations as well, so i need your help.

Before any keyboard commando feels the need to insult my ignorance, or my curiosity (other forums) - please do us both the favor and don’t comment. Move on, No need to post some derogatory comment. But to those that choose to respond and provide some of their experience and knowledge - i thank you in advance, and appreciate your input.

Of the reels listed below,
1) how would rank them in terms of handling lightweight vs heavy weight applications (lightest to heaviest)?
2) What would be the range of weights (or applications/techniques) in ounces that each reel could handle

i broke them out in 2 categories, low profile reels and round reels

Low profile reels
Steez CT SV
Zillion SV TW
Steez SV
Steez A
metanium DC
Zillion HD
Antares MD DC
Lews SD
Shimano Tranx

Round reels
Calcutta Conquest 100
Calcutta Conquest 200
Calcutta Conquest 300
Cardiff 300

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Open-ended question about reels

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:46 am

Just as a base for consideration:

Low profile reels - I'll give input on a few....granted you can always try to toss 1/8 oz on a Conquest 300 or a 5oz full sized swimbait on the Steez CT SV, dat be your prerogative.
Steez CT SV - your highly refined all-purpose MG LP reel, not much it can't do other than heavy resistance lures in the 1oz + category. Excellent in the 3/16-3/4 oz range for all lure types and presentations, just match up the gear ratio, and keep in mind this is a smaller frame and spool in the Steez line-up but overall an absolutely exceptional reel.
Zillion SV TW - workhorse in the same vein as the Steez SV TW, weight ranges likely better in the 1/4+ arena and upwards to say ~ 1.5 oz.
Steez SV - do you mean the last generation prior to the TWS version? If so, same-same applications but has a larger frame, bigger spool, and a bit more robust than the CT.
Steez A - Aluminum version with deeper/heavier spool in the Gen 1, all-purpose reel but better suited for 3/8-2 oz.
metanium DC - Shimano version of high end MG with DC braking assist, all-purpose reel, good for those that want the DC sound and some mag braking assistance on their Shimano reel vs the centrifugal systems...some peeps are fans of the DC, some are not for various reasons.
Zillion HD - basically same as the Zillion SV TW, but with a different spool meant for heavier baits, but essentially no real tangible difference on gearing, internals, drag strenth, frame size, etc. But you get a kool black color.
Antares MD DC - don't have any input...SW specialized but does have issues with bad design in the lower front area that allows for water intrusion from what I have read.
Lews SD - no input.
Shimano Tranx - too much variance to answer as there are sizes 200-500. Bigger 300-500 are anything big bait/large swimbait to SW work.

Round reels - these are in order of size to application already...
Calcutta Conquest 100 - typical 1/4-1 oz, mostly moving bait applications with some jigs and plastics as well on the XG model. Great all-purpose round reel.
Calcutta Conquest 200 - excellent for 3/8-2oz, has more line capacity and higher IPTs per same gear ratio as the 100, I really enjoyed my 2014 4.8 200 CQ for moving baits (I prefer Conquests mostly for moving presentations)
Calcutta Conquest 300 - this will be your 3/4+ reel, A-rigs, swmibaits, big blades on spinnerbaits, pike/lighter musky work, glides, has more line capacity but still smaller than the 400 size.
Cardiff 300 - Same as the Conquest/CQ 300, but much less refined...I would personally do most of my heavier beater work on the Cardiff since it won't be as refined or handle lighter lures/casting as well IMO. Add catfish and bait fishing (granted probably doesn't have a bait clicker).

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 pm

jwalker497 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 pm
As a newbie to bass fishing, i had to familiarize myself with rod action lengths and powers and understand where rods shine and the limitations, leo’s and cons within. I think i have a basic understanding of that. So now i need some help when it comes to reels.

I am still not clear on understanding the power and strengths of certain reels compared to others, where each one shines over others and the limitations as well, so i need your help.

Before any keyboard commando feels the need to insult my ignorance, or my curiosity (other forums) - please do us both the favor and don’t comment. Move on, No need to post some derogatory comment. But to those that choose to respond and provide some of their experience and knowledge - i thank you in advance, and appreciate your input.

Of the reels listed below,
1) how would rank them in terms of handling lightweight vs heavy weight applications (lightest to heaviest)?
2) What would be the range of weights (or applications/techniques) in ounces that each reel could handle

i broke them out in 2 categories, low profile reels and round reels

Low profile reels
Steez CT SV
Zillion SV TW
Steez SV
Steez A
metanium DC
Zillion HD
Antares MD DC
Lews SD
Shimano Tranx

Round reels
Calcutta Conquest 100
Calcutta Conquest 200
Calcutta Conquest 300
Cardiff 300
Nobody here is likely to insult. People are generally happy to help.
Steez CT - Great reel, versatile, small footprint, excellent performance. 1/8 oz to 5/8 oz is what I would consider it's optimal wheelhouse. Rod dependant of course.
Zillion SV TW - Great reel, very comfortable platform. Less braking force than the Steez CT. Boost spool can get a little fluffy on low settings with hard casts. I'd say a quarter ounce to just over a full ounce is about right.
Steez SV (Original without boost spool) - Still my favorite newer Daiwa reel. Comes with two spool options, depending on the gear ratio. With the 1016, 3/16 oz to roughly a full ounce. With the 1012, you can go down to 1/8 oz without issue, but it holds less line. Still plenty for most bass fishing duties. Also super comfortable to palm. This reel performs even better with newer ZPI spools. These can also be used with the Zillion SV TW, as well as some KTF spools. Both of these spools make casting more consistent with the Steez. Some people really like using the Zillion boost spool in it as well.
Only Shimano reel I can help with is the Metanium DC. Not as comfortable in my hands as the three above, but not bad. Casting range is similar to the Zillion, but the Zillion might be able to go a bit lighter. Nice reel if you don't mind the DC zing and whine.
I can't help with any of the other Shimanos or heavy duty reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 am

Generally line capacity and reel/spool size dictate use. For example the Steez CT SV is the absolute best at lighter applications, also has the smallest size and smallest spool at 30mm. It is classified as a 70 size, even though those ranks are just designated by company, no actual size ranking system.
Moving up from the CT, your Zillion SV, Steez SV, Conquest 100, Steez A, & Metanium DC are general purpose bass reels. The SV's can go down to 1/8 with plastic comfortably (w/ 12-14lb fluoro) and the other reels can do the same with 3/16 plus plastic. I actually haven't used the Metanium DC, so I am assuming/repeating info on it. Where these reels max out is for you, I wouldn't throw over 1.5oz or so, but others might.
The Conquest 200, Zillion HD, Antares DC MD, and maybe the Lew's Super Duty (not sure which model) will be 200 class reels right before "true" big bait reels. They will throw 1/2oz probably up to 2oz or 3oz. Again, some people push 200 size reels hard and go over, for me they are just a tad more fitted for slightly bigger lures than a 100 should throw.
Last, and reaching big bait reel status, the Conquest 300, Tranx 300/400, and Cardiff 300 should handle bigger stuff. Most of the time they are built identical to the 400 size, just more narrow. So if capacity isn't an issue, a 300 is just as capable as a 400. This isn't the case going from a 100 size to 200 size though.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:33 am

I'm curious to see how long it takes the "newbie" OP to reply back with feedback and thanks for our lack of insults thus far...
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Post by jwalker497 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 am

This is awesome info. Thank you very much.

Regarding the Steez SV (yes latest version) if the Steez CT can handle an ounze, would the SV be able to go about 1.5oz?

jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Post by jwalker497 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 pm

Very helpful so far. PS - I have a tranx 300 size

I would like to set my Rod/Reel Combos up by Water Column, then by technique. I know there are soo many techniques but generally speaking, I prefer to categorize the combos by the following
1) Bottom Technique Combos
2) Moving Bait or Mid-water Combos
3) Top-Water Combos

Below is a list of all the techniques I am familiar with
BOTTOM - NedRig, ShakyHead, Wacky/Weightless, T-Rig/Free Rig, Tokyo/Jika Rig, Jigs, Tube Rod, Bubba/Drop Shot), Punch
MID - Crankbaits, Swimbaits, Squarebills, Lipless, Spoons, Jerkbaits, Spinnderbaits/Chatterbaits, Wake Baits, A-Rigs, Swimjigs
TOP - Poppers, Buzzbait, Frog, Walking Baits, Whopper/plopper,

For bottom rod/reels is it safe to assume, Braid would be the best type of line to be used? Thats what I have been using, see no issues. In fact I have been using? for everything actually. I don't see a need to use anything other than braid for the bottom techniques listed above. Do you?

So for Mid-Water column, moving baits, what do you think is the best line to be used? Im thinking fluorocarbon or Mono? Any exceptions to this?? I learned the hard way that Braid is awful for Jerkbaits and Walking lures.

Lastly for top water, I am leaning towards mono since it floats. Expection to this is Braid for Frogs works well, Any other exceptions?

Am I thinking about this correctly?
Anything you would do differently?
Any Exceptions?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 pm

jwalker497 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 am
This is awesome info. Thank you very much.

Regarding the Steez SV (yes latest version) if the Steez CT can handle an ounze, would the SV be able to go about 1.5oz?
No on either..."can" and "should" are two different realities. Hence why I stated you can try to toss 1/8 on a Conquest 300 or 5 oz on a Steez CT...but I would STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST IT.

For up to 1.5 oz and more power techs of 1/2 + most of the time, go Steez A1 or A2, Zillion HD, Curado 200, Bantam, reels of that nature.

jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Post by jwalker497 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:07 pm

So the Steez is more than capable at 1oz to 1.5oz?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:27 pm

jwalker497 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:07 pm
All the info here has been sound imho. If you are referring to moving/resistance baits, I personally wouldn't go over 1 oz with the Steez SV TW, because of the aluminum gearing and magnesium frame. That being said, the Steez A has the same gearing, but a slightly more solid aluminum frame. The aluminum frame mutes gear vibration better than magnesium over the long term, which is why I'd go up to 1.5 oz with resistance baits with the Steez A. I think the Steez SV TW would work for up to 1.5 oz bottom contact baits, but I'd personally stay at/below 1 oz. with ANY baits on it. Imho, the Zillion HD would be superior to the Steez A if you want a reel dedicated to consistent use of 1-2 oz baits, especially if they are high-resistance.

Regarding lines, I'm a braid guy, too, but bottom contact lures on braid is very dependent upon the bottom composition. Sandy or rocky bottoms will damage braid quickly. Here in GA, there's mostly soft red clay bottoms, especially in the ponds I frequent. Braid for most baits is fine in those instances. Regarding topwaters and walking baits, just use a 2 ft leader of heavy mono between your spook and the main line of braid, and the tangles will cease.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:46 pm

I would just suggest that when throwing anything at or above a full ounce, use a reel designed for it. As Tim mentioned, a full magnesium body with aluminum gears likely won't hold up to heavy resistance baits. Aluminum and brass are better suited for that. Material and gearing are a better way to judge what the reel should be used for.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:00 pm

jwalker497 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:07 pm
Steez A1 and A2. Personally I would go with a prior generation Zillion HD TWS for 1-1.5 oz or a Z2020H, or OG Zillion or a Ryoga, if that's what you tossing all the time.

The other clarifier is what lures/techs/type line and conditions are you planning for the 1-1.5 oz? For example, a 1.5 punch set up will tear up most any reel over time, especially with braid...so you want to select a sturdy larger aluminum frame and brass gears if you can, on that reel. I would personally beat the snot out of a good value XH geared Lews or other OEM rather than destroy a high end Daiwa or Shimano for punching or flipping into heavy stuff with braid and near locked down drag.

Now take those same 1-1.5 oz jigs and plastics in weeds and sparse wood, and the Steez A, Zillion, Bantam, Metanium, and many other reels in this saiz range would be fine, whether you use fluoro, straight braid or braid+leader.

If you are tossing say a 1.5 oz glide bait or walking bait, there's not a lot of resistance on cranking, so line capacity and line recovery on long casts will be more important.

Big bladed spinnerbaits with size #6-#7+ whether willows, Colorado, Indiana, or tandems, will straight up tear down a high gear ratio reel over time, especially the pinion gear, regardless of gear material...add in fast moving river waters and it's worse. Same with high resistance deep crank, big wakes, big bladed chatters...it's just the nature of the beast. For these techs, lower gear ratio and stout brass gears will generally last longest...ahem, Conquest 200/300 lower gear ratios or OG Zillion 6.3 or 4.9 Crazy Cranker or cranking special Shimano geared low profiles.

Lots to learn...one bite at a time to eat the entire elephant.

jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Post by jwalker497 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:28 am

i have a set of NRX rods
852c

Thinking steez cat clr the 852-893
the steez sc for the 873
the steez A for the 894-895

Also have a few moving bait and too water rods
same thought process there
Medium rods CT, Med-Heavy the SV, The Heavy would be Steez A

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:43 am

So how many reels have you bought so far after all the comments you get? You can also share your opinion of the reels pair with the rods you have.

jwalker497
Angler
Angler

Post by jwalker497 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:15 am

I like the smaller body reels especially with these lighter rods.

but when i go out i don’t have a boat so sometimes i’m throwing all kinds of stuff on 1 rod and reel.

I just want to make sure the smaller CT can handle up to ounce if need be.

And the SV can handle a little over 1oz on occasion

I’m assuming the steez A, i don’t have any is a bigger body reel than even the Steez SV