How do you set up your Alphas SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do you set up your Alphas SV TW

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am
It's a shame Daiwa doesn't offer Mag Z option on the Tats and Alphas...they would have a lot of peeps buy as well since the braking profile would likely compete with MGL spools better.
I do have to correct that the Elite Long Cast and Tat 80 may have Mag Z. Hoohoorjoo has stated that his Tat 80 easily and consistently outdistanced his Alphas SV TW.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 am

My Alphas SV TW casts great. I did clean my bearings and also use it more in the ML-M category of lures. 1/16oz shakeyheads up to 12ft cranks.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:10 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 pm
I like the alpha reel, so I have several of them. I paired a few 8lb samurai hidden fluro on them and I can cast around 50 yards with a megabass ito shiner.
I tightened the tensioner a bit
This is forbidden.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:26 am

I went a different way. I put 45yds of 16lb fluoro and put it on a jig rod I use for skipping 3/8-1/2 jigs. It worked great. Not sure I am going to keep it set up that way, but It worked well for skipping with the SV spool.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:21 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 am
My Alphas SV TW casts great. I did clean my bearings and also use it more in the ML-M category of lures. 1/16oz shakeyheads up to 12ft cranks.
Generally what brake settings are you running for the 1/4 - 3/8oz total weight range?

I have to rewatch your video on this reel :lol:

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:43 am

Does anyone know if it would somehow be possible to get the Tatula 80 magnets into the Alphas?
Thanks to the different locking mechanisms the side plate assemblies don’t look alike.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am

As mentioned by dragon1, I did see improvement with distance after I flushed the spool bearings. I tried it with 10# copolymer first, but it didn't cast well at all, as the OP noted. I went to light braid and a short leader and it's a cannon now. I have extra Ray's rotors on hand, but haven't felt the need to swap it since I went to braid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:47 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:43 am
Does anyone know if it would somehow be possible to get the Tatula 80 magnets into the Alphas?
Thanks to the different locking mechanisms the side plate assemblies don’t look alike.
You should be able to swap them. I would pull the spool bearings out of the side plate and see is there is a screw there. I've only magnet swapped the OG Steez platform but I was able to swap the entire magnet assembly between an SS SV and IS73. Not sure if there is a difference in Tatula 80 magnets and an Alphas SV 800.

The difference in brake profile between the two reels is likely entirely due to the different spools with braking systems. If you want to change the braking profile of the Alphas you would have to do some spool tuning with inductor swapping and/or spring swapping. I like the stiff springs on the Ray's Long Cast spools. You can get a spool for like $35 and swap the spring or spring and inductor. I would use the Ray's Long Cast for the Tatula 100 then put the Alphas parts on the Ray's spool to make a Tatula 100 SV spool and punt that or use it.

Alternatively you can leave it alone and use it as a plastics reel to skip baits and target cast cover. Thats what mine is planned for. For braid and small cranks I would get a Curado 70 MGL if I didn't already have the Engetsu 100 which is what I do use for 1/4-3/8 oz baits and 20# braid distance casting.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm

reason162 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:21 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 am
Generally what brake settings are you running for the 1/4 - 3/8oz total weight range?

I have to rewatch your video on this reel :lol:
I'd have to say the reel is pretty much set to 4-6 for all the baits, spool tension just enough to allow the slightest side play. Line is 10lb FC.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing