Replacing 20 met spool bearing

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Vabass
Angler
Angler

Replacing 20 met spool bearing

Post by Vabass » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:10 pm

I've got a 20 met with a bad spool bearing. I've of course tried ultrasonic and acetone to no avail.

Normally I would just measure and buy a new one but this one has a small o ring attached to it. Shimano schematic shows it as non serviceable and to replace the whole spool. It doesn't even have an individual part number just the one for the entire spool.

My question is has anyone swapped from a bearing with o ring, to a regular aftermarket bearing? If so did u notice a difference with casting, noise, etc. Thanks for any info

Jba1975
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Replacing 20 met spool bearing

Post by Jba1975 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:35 am

I’ve not changed the spool bearings on mine yet, but plan to in the near future. The part# for the o-ring is BNT5802. You can order from their site.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:48 am

I have had a few metaniums and that’s a normal thing. Yes you can change the spool bearing out. It’s the pinion and spool bearings that get busted first for those reels with heavy use.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:43 am

Vabass wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:10 pm
I've got a 20 met with a bad spool bearing. I've of course tried ultrasonic and acetone to no avail.

Normally I would just measure and buy a new one but this one has a small o ring attached to it. Shimano schematic shows it as non serviceable and to replace the whole spool. It doesn't even have an individual part number just the one for the entire spool.

My question is has anyone swapped from a bearing with o ring, to a regular aftermarket bearing? If so did u notice a difference with casting, noise, etc. Thanks for any info
Are you in the US? Shimano shows the spool bearings at BNT5804. They say that bearing, and a few others, "cannot be replaced by the customer" but that's just because, in this case, the average customer doesn't have a spool pin remover. It does show that bearing as out of stock at the moment.

https://fishshop.shimano.com/collections/metmgl150hgb

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 am

Well yep I was definitely wrong I must have pulled the wrong schematic. I do still wonder what exactly that o-ring purpose is though. Also thanks for the help

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 am

Vabass wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 am
Well yep I was definitely wrong I must have pulled the wrong schematic. I do still wonder what exactly that o-ring purpose is though. Also thanks for the help
My understanding is the o-ring is to make quieter and smoother the operation of the bearing by tightening the "operating tolerance", per se. It helps to minimize and/or eliminate the bearing play on the spool.

I could be totally mistaken however. :-s
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:18 am

Hmm interesting I think I will try some aftermarket ones until they come back in stock .

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 am

Vabass wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:18 am
Hmm interesting I think I will try some aftermarket ones until they come back in stock .
I don't have any personal experience with any MM Shimano beyond the 14 CQ 200 4.8 I used to own...this said, I wonder if the o-ring is somehow drying out the oil in the bearing?

Just wondering out loud.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:23 pm

Honestly Im not sure. I ended up finding this reel fishing inshore and I could tell it had been underwater at least a couple of weeks.

I disassembled it and only needed a new drag and anti reverse. But no matter how I cleaned the spool bearing it still screeches during casts.

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:48 am
I have had a few metaniums and that’s a normal thing. Yes you can change the spool bearing out. It’s the pinion and spool bearings that get busted first for those reels with heavy use.
Oh that's good to know I purchased a jdm met since I found the first one and it's quiet for now anyway.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:32 pm

Vabass wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:23 pm
Honestly Im not sure. I ended up finding this reel fishing inshore and I could tell it had been underwater at least a couple of weeks.

I disassembled it and only needed a new drag and anti reverse. But no matter how I cleaned the spool bearing it still screeches during casts.
Well SCHITE man! If the Shimano MG Core body was underwater that long and it was just the bearings gone bad, that is absolutely incredible!

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:38 pm

Yeah I was impressed the guides on the rod were completely rusted through. The spool had a small nick of corrosion and that was it. Also this was pure saltwater not just brackish.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:46 pm

Vabass wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:38 pm
Yeah I was impressed the guides on the rod were completely rusted through. The spool had a small nick of corrosion and that was it. Also this was pure saltwater not just brackish.
Damn...Shimano should make their bearings and MM gears out of Core body material and coating. :-k

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:03 pm

I have 2 Shallow Mets I've put ZPI's in. Just as smooth and quiet as stock. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:44 pm

a1712 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:03 pm
I have 2 Shallow Mets I've put ZPI's in. Just as smooth and quiet as stock. Brian.
Did you only replace the spool bearings?