2022 Bantam sideplate gasket

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

2022 Bantam sideplate gasket

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:59 pm

Anyone have experience with this gasket wearing out or breaking? Will the sideplate cover close properly without this rubber gasket?

Thanks in advance.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2022 Bantam sideplate gasket

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:32 am

Have not heard anyone complain about the gasket. I think its the same as the gaskets that were used in old daiwa reels such as the pixy. The rubber ring that's under the cast control cap doesn't wear out.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2022 Bantam sideplate gasket

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:03 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:32 am
Have not heard anyone complain about the gasket. I think its the same as the gaskets that were used in old daiwa reels such as the pixy. The rubber ring that's under the cast control cap doesn't wear out.
I posted on BBC a few vids of this Bantam, and the one referencing the gasket...got some good responses as well.

Here is my initial on the water short review from today, spooled up 12lb CXX and pair up with my Megabass 30th Anniversary Legend Works Limited Super Diablo II for some test casts with some spinnerbaits.

Here are my initial thoughts tossing a Double Colorado 1/2 oz Chart/White Covert spinnerbait with a 3" white single tail grub:

1. I had two brakes on and the outside dial set at 2 and 3/4 (last ridge setting on the dial before number "3") while casting around the water fall and fast moving waters at Walter Hill Dam...it was fast, fluid, easy to palm, and easily controllable. Smaller profile than my TD Fuego and lighter overall since I have put on Z2020H handle assembly and knobs and the same star drag from the Z2020 but in black, on the Fuego.
2. This short stock factory handle is too short for cranking in today's med-fast currents, and will absolutely be a workout when the river really gets going. I think I need a ~ 94mm + handle and bigger knobs.
3. The gear cranking smoothness is excellent, and very connected and solid with very direct an immediate power transfer. The cranking of these gears requires a bit more energy to rotate vs the same 7.1 duralumin gears in a Steez A1 (stock handle) or 2019 Morethan PE SV 7.1 (smaller OG Zillion Type R handle and zaion knobs). To me, the Steez A and Morethan both are smoother on gear crank and mesh, more like ice smooth, while the Bantam is tighter with more connected feedback and tolerance and more like OG Calais 100/Antares/5.8 smooth + OG Daiwa TDZ/6.3 connected. The Bantam is also not as glass/ice smooth as the 14 CQ 4.8 I used to own, but gear ratio difference has a lot to do with that. FWIW, the absolute smoothest, slippery as snot on ice modern gears I have personally used have been the 8.6 C6191 marine bronze strengthen high tensile brass gears in my 2019 Morethan PE SV XH.
4. The 35 mm diameter spool and narrower width really speeds up fast and drains 12 lb CXX diameter line quickly on casts...I was able to match easily the same distances I consistently achieve with the TD Fuego with stock Zillion 50th spool that I typically run on this rod and same line...granted colder air and water temps made the CXX stiffer today. One thing that was very conspicuous to me is that on a long cast, the initial retrieve is very powerful and more torquey due to the appreciably lower line diameter on the spool, and as I got the spinnerbait closer to me on the same handle retrieve speed and the line on spool diameter increased, the amount of energy/effort required to crank the handle increased quite a bit.
5. Drag system is smooth, tight/strong, consistent and very capable...it doesn't matter if it is only rated to what, ~ 11lbs?
6. Operations is typical Shimano superbly precise and robust, and I am so impressed that the IAR has been refined to get rid of the slight play/slop in the HEG generation of Shimanos.
7. Second part of the test today, I lowered the dial to ~ 2.5 and kept the same 2 centri brakes on and was underhand/roll casting to stumps and under an overhang...it was extremely easy to cast in this manner, although the braking system on this Bantam is much faster to start up and will not babysit the spool speed on flat line trajectories like an SV or Mag Z/Mag V brake system will.
8. FWIW, my TD Fuego 6.3 and Zillion Type R 7.3are well over 10 years old and the gears are lower cranking effort and as smooth as any of these modern reels, but the gears do not feel as connected, as to be expected with proper "wear in" and not "wearing out". Also both reels were owned by at least a couple/few previous owners and have likely been worked for many days/hours and thousands of fish.

In all, I think this Bantam is an absolute keeper, and I see it really shining for pitching and casting plastics, jigs, and lipless more so than power cranking heavy torque baits on thicker line all day in moving water. Perhaps a longer handle will help alleviate some of the required effort on the crank. Overall, the ergos are incredible, disappears in hand (and I no issues with any part of the reel rubbing my thumb or palm in an irritating manner), very compact and sits extremely low on the rod seat, and exceptionally tight tolerances all around.

This reel is a winner fosho.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."