Which REEL?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which REEL?

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm

Hey guys,

Donnie D. here. Getting back into fishing this year more so. I have the old green curado's and citics. Just cleaned and greased all of them. Still working great.

I am looking to get a new baitcaster, which compare to the old green 200e curados? I ideally want a 200 size spool but will settle for a 150.

Found some japan website better pricing then us sites.

I have been looking at the curado dc, diawa zillion sv tw, tatula sv, scorpion dc,
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which REEL?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:54 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm
Hey guys,

Donnie D. here. Getting back into fishing this year more so. I have the old green curado's and citics. Just cleaned and greased all of them. Still working great.

I am looking to get a new baitcaster, which compare to the old green 200e curados? I ideally want a 200 size spool but will settle for a 150.

I have been looking at the curado dc, diawa zillion sv tw, tatula sv, scorpion dc,
I enjoy a variety of reels. How many do you want? If just one I would be hard pressed to not buy a Zillion SVTW. I think the Curado MGL 150 is a solid reel too. The JDM Metanium is another solid choice.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:00 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

Lots of solid 100 Daiwa/150 Shimano reels...there are fewer true 200 sized spools in the low profile category, and there are fewer still in 200 sized round reels.

Curado K 200/CU DC 200 has the bigger/deeper spool, and one of the Tatula models has a true 200 size, although I'm not sure which model. The prior Zillion TWS HD (non SV braking) model might also be ideal or the Tatula HD/Catalina if you can find them.

Good luck, and you will likely have more options and variety with the 100 Daiwa/150 Shimanos.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:54 pm
KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

I enjoy a variety of reels. How many do you want? If just one I would be hard pressed to not buy a Zillion SVTW. I think the Curado MGL 150 is a solid reel too. The JDM Metanium is another solid choice.
One reel for now. Problem with the Zillion SVTW is the spool size. Only a 100 size spool.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:05 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:00 pm
KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

Lots of solid 100 Daiwa/150 Shimano reels...there are fewer true 200 sized spools in the low profile category, and there are fewer still in 200 sized round reels.

Curado K 200/CU DC 200 has the bigger/deeper spool, and one of the Tatula models has a true 200 size, although I'm not sure which model. The prior Zillion TWS HD (non SV braking) model might also be ideal or the Tatula HD/Catalina if you can find them.

Good luck, and you will likely have more options and variety with the 100 Daiwa/150 Shimanos.
I found tatulas 200 for 146 on amazon and curado dc 200 for 180 plus shipping on japan website. Which is better option?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:09 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:05 pm
dragon1 wrote:
KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

I found tatulas 200 for 146 on amazon and curado dc 200 for 180 plus shipping on japan website. Which is better option?
First off..."Welcome Back Mista Kott-ah...da bass been missin' ya!".

There is no right answer for this, if you like DC braking profiles and the sound and are okay with spending more, the CU DC 200 might be perfect. If you want T-Wing and Daiwa Magforce braking, then the Tat 200 might be the way to go. What techs and rod are you pairing it with?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:12 pm

This should be very helpful on the CU 200 DC.

http://tackletour.com/previewshimanocurado200dc.html

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:06 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:09 pm
KillaBass wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

There is no right answer for this, if you like DC braking profiles and the sound and are okay with spending more, the CU DC 200 might be perfect. If you want T-Wing and Daiwa Magforce braking, then the Tat 200 might be the way to go. What techs and rod are you pairing it with?
I dont need special brakes. Used to the green curado braking system and my thumb. Gonna use the reel for spinnerbaits or swim jigs. I want a full allumium reel that will have the longevity as the curados.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:08 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:06 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:09 pm
KillaBass wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
KillaBass wrote:
Hey guys,

I dont need special brakes. Used to the green curado braking system and my thumb. Gonna use the reel for spinnerbaits or swim jigs. I want a full allumium reel that will have the longevity as the curados.
Just a question, what size line are you planning on using? I started with bigger reels, original Tatula's and Zillion TWS's, even had a Tatula 200. That Tatula 200 held like 120 yards or more of 25lb fluorocarbon (maybe more). Again, I don't know what you want, that is on you, but recently I began using smaller and smaller reels and have never run out of line or had capacity issues. Just curious what your application is for, generally I would only pick a 200 for right under true big bait duty.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:47 pm

Using 15lb-20lb mono . needs to hold the same amount of line as a curado 200e7.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm

The Tatula 150 holds a lot of line, more than you'd really ever need for bass fishing. If you go to the 200, you will have a fixed rotor. This is original Magforce. What you will find is that it tends to fluff up at the beginning of the cast and be a little choked off at the end of the cast. The 150 is Magforce Z, which is a moving rotor. The 200 holds like 170 yds of 12# line, which is overkill imho, unless you are throwing a-rigs or big glide baits. Both reels are identical in outer dimensions, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:47 pm
Using 15lb-20lb mono . needs to hold the same amount of line as a curado 200e7.
The Curado 200E is an iconic reel...excellent condition ones are bringing ~ $200 and NIB $230+

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm
The Tatula 150 holds a lot of line, more than you'd really ever need for bass fishing. If you go to the 200, you will have a fixed rotor. This is original Magforce. What you will find is that it tends to fluff up at the beginning of the cast and be a little choked off at the end of the cast. The 150 is Magforce Z, which is a moving rotor. The 200 holds like 170 yds of 12# line, which is overkill imho, unless you are throwing a-rigs or big glide baits. Both reels are identical in outer dimensions, though.
Reel size wise. Are the curado 200e's any bigger or smaller than the current curado 200 dc's?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:15 pm

Get a Bantam from Japan Lure Shop, Digitaka, or Japan Tackle. The 22 model is very nice. Or...find a Daiwa SV103! :)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:27 pm

KillaBass wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm
Reel size wise. Are the curado 200e's any bigger or smaller than the current curado 200 dc's?
Very similar size. The DC may be a hair smaller.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.