Daiwa spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa spinning reels

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:48 pm

Someone explain to me how a free floating spool works on a spinning reel. Daiwa says their Kage MQ LT has a free floating spool.
Maybe I missed something

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa spinning reels

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:21 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:48 pm
Someone explain to me how a free floating spool works on a spinning reel. Daiwa says their Kage MQ LT has a free floating spool.
Maybe I missed something

Jeff
The spool is supported on bearings, not on shims. They have kits for already. Both of my Certates are free-floating.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:47 pm

I always wonder about bearing locations and all practical locations on a spinning reel. 13 or 12+1 is about max in a casting reel (2 main gear, 2 pinion, 4 in handle total, 2 levelwind, 2 spool, and 1 anti-reverse). For a spinning reel I am not sure. I think they can have 2 handle knob, 2 main gear, 2 pinion, 2 spool shaft, 2 spool/drag, 2 levelwind?, 2 line roller?

I bring this up because I don't know if Daiwa just uses 2 bearings on the main shaft for "free floating" design or more. I swear I look at some spinning schematics and they have more bearings on the main shaft but then don't use them elsewhere (many use 1 in the line roller).

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:54 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:21 pm
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Maybe I missed something

Jeff
The spool is supported on bearings, not on shims. They have kits for already. Both of my Certates are free-floating.
I guess I did miss that
Johnny did your certate come that way?

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:51 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:54 am
Johnny A wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Maybe I missed something

Jeff
I guess I did miss that

Jeff
No, it’s an SLP aftermarket item @ $30 USD shipped. It’s so easy an old guy like me could do it!

DAIWA SLP WORKS SLPW BB Spool Drag Kit S2 Shipping from Japan

One bearing goes on the shaft, the other goes under the drag washers. They’ve been doing an option like this for almost 15 years.

I was using it when I was doing 7lb Sunline and landed several 5lb+ LMB

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:06 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:51 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:54 am
Johnny A wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Maybe I missed something

Jeff
I guess I did miss that

Jeff
No, it’s an SLP aftermarket item @ $30 USD shipped. It’s so easy an old guy like me could do it!

DAIWA SLP WORKS SLPW BB Spool Drag Kit S2 Shipping from Japan

One bearing goes on the shaft, the other goes under the drag washers. They’ve been doing an option like this for almost 15 years.

I was using it when I was doing 7lb Sunline and landed several 5lb+ LMB
Thanks I'll look it up

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:57 am

I wish someone said their new Daiwa/Shimano spin had an anti-reverse switch. I’ve officially been labeled an old timer by both makers.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 am

Travis, I'm with you. Seems the younger guys I talk to can't understand why you would want one but I certainly miss them on all the newer reels.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:38 pm

timinmo wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 am
Travis, I'm with you. Seems the younger guys I talk to can't understand why you would want one but I certainly miss them on all the newer reels.
Agreed sir, but I hooked up the horse and buggy to go to work this morning.

Always a pleasure and hope you’re well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 pm

timinmo wrote:
Yeppers...same Gen that can't understand manual transmissions in an car or truck...until they have to actually drive one. It does help lower the stolen vehicle theft rate with the new recruit of auto thieves, eh?

Lol.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:26 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 pm
timinmo wrote:
Yeppers...same Gen that can't understand manual transmissions in an car or truck...until they have to actually drive one. It does help lower the stolen vehicle theft rate with the new recruit of auto thieves, eh?

Lol.

Precisely right sir. :)