Daiwa Deep Crankbait Reel Options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Deep Crankbait Reel Options

Post by FamKench » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:14 pm

I found a tatula elite 6.3 on Amazon for 199.95. the other gear ratios were still full price. I think it would be a good cranking reel. I'm going to use it on my glass rod however for square bills and chatter baits.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:56 am

You can get them for a little less on Aliexpress for around $170 but returns would be a nightmare and you have to wait a month for it to show up so $200 off Amazon isn't bad. I don't know why these run so much in the US market. They are really proud of them. They are good casting reels though. I like that spool as much as the Zillion 1000 SV Boost for an all around spool and it holds more line making it more of an all around than the awesome but shallow SV Boost spool IMO.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:56 am
You can get them for a little less on Aliexpress for around $170 but returns would be a nightmare and you have to wait a month for it to show up so $200 off Amazon isn't bad. I don't know why these run so much in the US market. They are really proud of them. They are good casting reels though. I like that spool as much as the Zillion 1000 SV Boost for an all around spool and it holds more line making it more of an all around than the awesome but shallow SV Boost spool IMO.
I agree. I was going to get another tatula sv from digitaka, asian portal, etc. for $170 because it's such a good price and awesome reel but I already have 2 and wanted to expand my daiwa reel collection and add an elite into the lineup. Right now I have over 10 different casting models from daiwa.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:15 am

If you can find a Daiwa Catalina 4.9 (Zillion looks with pink accents), that has been my reel for a while. Smooth, casts nice and even has a audible drag. Takes a 1516 sized spool so, that's up to up for a spool. I have been running 30lb braid with a leader and it's been performing great.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:36 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:15 am
If you can find a Daiwa Catalina 4.9 (Zillion looks with pink accents), that has been my reel for a while. Smooth, casts nice and even has a audible drag. Takes a 1516 sized spool so, that's up to up for a spool. I have been running 30lb braid with a leader and it's been performing great.
I was thinking the same thing with the Catalina, however the OP wanted lighter weight.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:49 am

Not familiar with the Catalina series but appears they would weigh as much as the Millionaire 203.

What’s a good source for Daiwa spools? I’d like to try a deeper spool on the Zillion SV TW 6.3 which is used for shallow crank baits.
Last edited by PhilHTX on Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:43 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:15 pm
I've spent a good bit of time cranking with the new US Zillion G 6.3:1 and have been very pleased with the distance, rigidity, and smoothness of this platform. If it's within budget, it is defiantly worthy of your consideration.

Same here, I have two deep cranking rods one with the Zillion G in 6.3:1 and one with the 5.5:1 no issues with either.