Bantam A O-ring

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bantam A O-ring

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:26 am

Will the new Bantam work with a broken O-ring? I have heard a lot of them come that way, just a reel I had been looking at. Also considering the Metanium Shallow but haven't heard much about it.

I stay hopeful that my Bantam would come with a good O-ring, just a question though in case it was damaged.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam A O-ring

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:50 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:26 am
Will the new Bantam work with a broken O-ring? I have heard a lot of them come that way, just a reel I had been looking at. Also considering the Metanium Shallow but haven't heard much about it.

I stay hopeful that my Bantam would come with a good O-ring, just a question though in case it was damaged.
If you mean the one that is in the sideplate access turnkey, yes it should be fine.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.ph ... highlight=

FWIW, I had my '22 Bantam HG sideplate off a couple dozen times in the short period I owned this reel trying to figure out a few mechanical details, and the o-ring gasket never failed. If you read the posts on that link there is some good information provided.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:10 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:50 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

If you mean the one that is in the sideplate access turnkey, yes it should be fine.

FWIW, I had my '22 Bantam HG sideplate off a couple dozen times in the short period I owned this reel trying to figure out a few mechanical details, and the o-ring gasket never failed. If you read the posts on that link there is some good information provided.
Yep that's the one. I'm so tempted to just get another Zillion, but wanna try something new. Does either version of the Metanium have this issue?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:10 am
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:50 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

Yep that's the one. I'm so tempted to just get another Zillion, but wanna try something new. Does either version of the Metanium have this issue?
I haven't read anything about the o-ring being an issue in the Met, more so the MM gears whining, which is likely attributed to the key washer pressure plate being a soft metal and deforming, whereas the washer pressure plate on the Bantam appears to be more stout.

Unless you are fishing salt/brackish water or in the rain all the time, the o-ring failing is really not a bit deal.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm

If you're on the fence, then I would say just pick up another Zillion. I prefer the new Zillion over the new Bantam A, but got them because of the weight balancing out a couple of my rods better.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:09 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm
If you're on the fence, then I would say just pick up another Zillion. I prefer the new Zillion over the new Bantam A, but got them because of the weight balancing out a couple of my rods better.
That's where I am at. I for sure plan to get the Conquest BFS, unless there are awful reviews before the HG comes out. I like a heavier duty reel but feel buying one disadvantages me because I use so many lightweight lures. This is why I started looking at the Metanium Shallow Edition. Again though, so hard to not just grab any ratio Zillion. I might would buy another 100HG Conquest if they come in stock but was planning on only dropping around $400 on the BFS version. I have been using my older Zillion SVTW's for cranking and other random duties though and I hate that my newer reel might be dedicated to a less used technique.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:09 pm
godshippy wrote:
That's where I am at. I for sure plan to get the Conquest BFS, unless there are awful reviews before the HG comes out. I like a heavier duty reel but feel buying one disadvantages me because I use so many lightweight lures. This is why I started looking at the Metanium Shallow Edition. Again though, so hard to not just grab any ratio Zillion. I might would buy another 100HG Conquest if they come in stock but was planning on only dropping around $400 on the BFS version. I have been using my older Zillion SVTW's for cranking and other random duties though and I hate that my newer reel might be dedicated to a less used technique.
Have you considered the Zillion Silver Wolf?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:35 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:01 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:09 pm
godshippy wrote:
Have you considered the Zillion Silver Wolf?
I have, but I am set on using fluorocarbon for now. Wasn't sure how it would handle lighter fluorocarbon, 10-12lb range. Could always sell the spool and get a Boost Shallow though? The question of using fluoro and the 8.5 ratio were the only things that kept the Silver Wolf out of my sights, but I could handle both if needed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:17 am

FWIW, I use copoly and mono on both my 2019 Steez Morethan PE SV reels, on is a 7.1:1 and the other 8.6:1, on both the stock PE spool and other 34 mm spools...never had an issue with line lay, casting performance, etc.

A kid from Canada
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by A kid from Canada » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:39 am

But line capacity on the Silver Wolf using 12# Flouro could be a problem.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:53 pm

A kid from Canada wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:39 am
But line capacity on the Silver Wolf using 12# Flouro could be a problem.
Yes, however I think he is more worried about the high speed wormgear levelwind and the stacking of fluoro on the spool. There are a plethora of 34 mm spools that can be dropped in to provide incredible performance with 12 lb fluoro...and which would match up closely to a shallow spool version of say the Met or the 22 Bantam.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:42 am

Forgot about the high speed levelwind actually. Not sure how it would affect fluorocarbon's lay. I'd be fine with just getting a regular Zillion, selling the spool, then buying the Boost Shallow. Just been hard to do. I have had 3 Zillion SVTW spools for sale a while, hoping to replace them with Boost Shallows or 1012SV spools.

Still not 100% sure what I will grab, new Zillion in 5.5, 6.3, or 7.1, new Bantam in 6.2 or 7.1, or a Metanium Shallow in 6.2, 7.1, or 8.1. Just gotten to a good state on my setups and it is hard to shift reels around. Other weird thing I couldn't find was an Alphas SVTW spool, would love to switch out a Gekkabijin spool for an Alphas SVTW where I could run 7lb fluorocarbon (not interested in the Ray's deep 28mm).

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:14 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:42 am
Forgot about the high speed levelwind actually. Not sure how it would affect fluorocarbon's lay. I'd be fine with just getting a regular Zillion, selling the spool, then buying the Boost Shallow. Just been hard to do. I have had 3 Zillion SVTW spools for sale a while, hoping to replace them with Boost Shallows or 1012SV spools.

Still not 100% sure what I will grab, new Zillion in 5.5, 6.3, or 7.1, new Bantam in 6.2 or 7.1, or a Metanium Shallow in 6.2, 7.1, or 8.1. Just gotten to a good state on my setups and it is hard to shift reels around. Other weird thing I couldn't find was an Alphas SVTW spool, would love to switch out a Gekkabijin spool for an Alphas SVTW where I could run 7lb fluorocarbon (not interested in the Ray's deep 28mm).
Haha yeah mango, that's part of the fun...appeasing the OCD afflicted and soothing the frustrations of "finding perfection".