Best deep cranking reel...10xd, mb big m 7.5...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best deep cranking reel...10xd, mb big m 7.5...

Post by clemsondds » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Hey, I am looking for a good cranking reel. What's your favorite? Trying to figure out if I should I go with a steez or antares...or more like a tranx? Would be going on a MB Launcher. So what do you use for your deepest cranks?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best deep cranking reel...10xd, mb big m 7.5...

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm
Hey, I am looking for a good cranking reel. What's your favorite? Trying to figure out if I should I go with a steez or antares...or more like a tranx? Would be going on a MB Launcher. So what do you use for your deepest cranks?
Are you going to run braid/leader or maybe a heavier fluro in the 15-20 range? Personally, I would go Z2020H or Conquest 200 HG. Daiwa Catalina is another hidden gem or one of the Zillion HDs build on the Tat frame, also the 200 sized Curado.

Hard to say without knowing the type line and your preference for faster IPTs or lower retrieve rates.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:41 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 pm
clemsondds wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm
Are you going to run braid/leader or maybe a heavier fluro in the 15-20 range? Personally, I would go Z2020H or Conquest 200 HG. Daiwa Catalina is another hidden gem or one of the Zillion HDs build on the Tat frame, also the 200 sized Curado.

Hard to say without knowing the type line and your preference for faster IPTs or lower retrieve rates.
Thanks for your feedback. What's your personal favorite? I really just want to hear what you guys are using. I actually do hav a daiwa catalina...was looking to move that to my mid depth crankbait rod. What line do you use? I have always used fc in the past trying to get max depth. Thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:12 pm

I don't fish any cranks of that depth here personally, but I would personally select a Z2020H/6.4:1 ~ 30.5 IPT or a Conquest 200 HG/same ~ low 30s.IPT range, both for line capacity and cranking power while still maintaining higher IPTs.

If you are going with a Steez, get the A model and if you end up with the Gen II Steez A, look for the deeper spool from the Gen 1 model. I think an OG Zillion HLC would be a great option as well

I'm sure an Antares MD would also be killer, I'm just not familiar with the newer Antares reels.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:46 am

What ratio reel are you hunting? I second the suggestion of the old Zillion HD off the Tatula frame. I have a Zillion TWS, run it with 7.3 gears, and it is a pretty stout old reel. I moved it to a 7'11" Heavy with 25lb fluoro for now with A-rigs and swimbaits, but before it was my big cranking setup with 15lb fluoro. Always did great and cast a long way, but I still would prefer to install 5.5 gears in it. I have trouble slowing down and the lures mentioned would be moving way to fast for me at or above 30" per turn.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:33 am

Z200 on long cast for weight transfer baits. All around for the baits that want to roll on the cast. I can nearly spool my Z200 of 65# braid on long cast with a Big M which is a weight transfer 2 oz crank.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm

I am partial to an OG Zillion CC for that range.