Backlash PSA

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Backlash PSA

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:35 am

I bought a new zillion a month ago. I put line on it and mounted it on a rod. I was out last Saturday for the first time this season. I picked up the rod and laid into a nice cast. All of a sudden, boom. The worst backlash I've had in a while. I forget to set the brakes. They were on 0. Lesson learned. Check your reel settings the first day on the water with a new reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Backlash PSA

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:40 am

Sometimes it happens. And sometimes I have thought that there's different spool in a reel :D But I usually try to cast first cast steady and short, let the line to wet, and then to begin casting normally.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:46 am

Haha...yeah man, like making sure there's TP before sittin' down for da beeg Juan!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:47 pm

I have adjusted (or not adjusted) reels working on them and then gone out and tried a bomb cast, tough situation. Hoping for your sake you had cheap line. I had really, really old line last time I had to cut a backlash so no harm done.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Been there before. It's usually after working on my reels.

Similar situation is going out and forgetting that the drag is backed off 90% from being stored that way. Things get interesting on that first bite of the day.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:42 pm

Couldn't happen to me, my first cast is always a soft side cast to know that everything is braking correctly.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:04 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:42 pm
Couldn't happen to me, my first cast is always a soft side cast to know that everything is braking correctly.
So...kinda like only letting the "turtle head poke out", but not finishing the job, before checking for TP availability?!? :P
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:45 am

flipper502 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Similar situation is going out and forgetting that the drag is backed off 90% from being stored that way. Things get interesting on that first bite of the day.
I forgot about a loose drag causing disasters... I accidentally flipped the anti reverse on my old Stradic CI4+FA and got a disaster one time. I was walking to the back of the boat for the next, lifted the rod to play the fish, and line went everywhere. Was first getting into fishing and using straight 7lb fluorocarbon so that made it even worse of a tangle...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:04 am

njbasscat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:35 am
I bought a new zillion a month ago. I put line on it and mounted it on a rod. I was out last Saturday for the first time this season. I picked up the rod and laid into a nice cast. All of a sudden, boom. The worst backlash I've had in a while. I forget to set the brakes. They were on 0. Lesson learned. Check your reel settings the first day on the water with a new reel.
I cannot tell you how many reel reviews have been delayed on my part due to this same exact scenario :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:04 am
njbasscat wrote:
I cannot tell you how many reel reviews have been delayed on my part due to this same exact scenario :lol:
Lol...man, Mother Murphy is a biaaatch.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 pm
Cal wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
After close to 20 years, you'd think I'd learn but... no :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:36 am

flipper502 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:19 pm

njbasscat wrote:

I've done both of these numerous times. One time I managed both at the same time. There must be a prize for that or something...

Now I set the brakes to damn near max and check the drag of every reel before I leave my vehicle.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:16 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 pm
Cal wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
After close to 20 years, you'd think I'd learn but... no :lol:
Lol...if we can't laugh at ourselves every now and then...whelp, we would just psychopaths?!?

I'm guilty of the drag setting thing quite a bit since I tend to loosen my drag after everything trip, and the brake settings as well mostly on Daiwas. I pretty much leave the Shimano centrifugal brakes either on 1 or 2.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:23 pm

LOL. I remember years ago I had exchanged the ice fishing reel and mounted onto the full rod. I had forgotten that for ice fishing, I set all the brakes to zero. Well the first cast. Wow was like a casting dream. The 1/8th oz lure flew off so extremely well. Then the moment the lure touched the water and brrrrrr......yeah. Felt the line poof. :doh:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:11 pm

Was attempting to teach my son how to use a BC today, he was using one of my Zillions. Tightened down the spool tension a little and handed it to him. Completely forgot to set the brakes, and first cast blew it up. Lesson learned lol.