Brass gear replacement for steez A TW HLC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Brass gear replacement for steez A TW HLC

Post by Bigfella123 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Hey! Just got a steez a tw hlc, and at some point I would like to put brass gears in it. I fish salmon and steelhead, and would like to have some piece of mind knowing I have brass gears in there when Im ramming a hookset on a 30lb springer :D

Does anyone know if the new zillion sv tw gears fit? I would assume if they fit the steez a, they should fit the hlc too. A 6.3 gear ration would be nice but any gear ratio is okay.

If the above is a no, does anyone know other brass gear replacements for the reel?

Thanks!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Brass gear replacement for steez A TW HLC

Post by SSS » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:36 am

The aluminum gears from all the newer daiwa are super strong. I don't think you need to add brass, this is not shimano and their micro module that explodes when snagging a perch O:)

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:04 am

Yea, the more I research this, the less I am worried about it. Seems like unnecessary hassle. Thanks anyway!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 am

If anything the JDM aluminum Zillion gears seem to be holding their smoothness longer based on the reports thus far. The verdict is not clear yet but the aluminum hyper drive gears are in the lead.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 am
If anything the JDM aluminum Zillion gears seem to be holding their smoothness longer based on the reports thus far. The verdict is not clear yet but the aluminum hyper drive gears are in the lead.
Yeppers...that's what I gather as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."