New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Post by SSS » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:34 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:30 am
SSS wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:03 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:50 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:15 pm
The 2016 steez platform is super outdated, and Daiwa has been milking it as much as possible. Should have tested a zillion 2021 instead of wasting money on any steez.
What makes it outdated? While it is true that the current Steez and Zillion models are based on a frame design that originates from 2016, I personally think that there is little to improve on. If you go smaller (ie Steez CT model) you are sacrificing line capacity and even ergonomics.

I have many of the high end models of Shimano and Daiwa and I have to say that the haptics of the 2016 Steez frame are by far the best in the business, at least in my humble opinion.
I understand though that the frame might not as comfortable for smaller hands and hence some users might push for Daiwa to go smaller with their frames.

As someone that fishes 75% from the bank, I do prefer a decently sized spool to ensure I have enough line available for longer casts with heavier line. The 70 sized spools just do not cut it for me.

Between the 2016 Steez SV TW and the 2021 Zillion, I would still choose the Steez any day of the week. It is more refined and just an amazing all around reel. I do not see any other reel out there to offer that level of all around capability.

But hey, there are many choices out there for you to pick from! :)
In my opinion, the frame itself. Ever since they released the Steez CT, i wasn't sure why the standard steez tw is still a thing. Now that the Zillion is out, which is a small compact little reel, there is even less reason to bother with the 2016 steez frame, especially at the price they're still selling these for. This is like the 2013 Metanium frame that overstayed its welcome.
I have small hands and in my experience, the frame of the Steez TW SV has better ergonomics than the Zillion TW SV and is possible one of the best palming reels being sold. It palms as a much smaller reel and still gives you a tight grip. I also would choose the Steez any day of the week if I could afford to buy 3 or 4 more to have on the deck.
Have small hands as well, and i wouldn't agree on that statement. To each their own of course, but i personally find the og steez to be much comfier to palm than the newer steel. THe older steez fits in my palm like an egg.
Last edited by SSS on Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:34 am

Have small hands as well, and i would agree on that statement. To each their own of course, but i personally find the og steez to be much comfier to palm than the newer steel. THe older steez fits in my palm like an egg.
I agree, the OG Steez was still more comfortable to palm. The 17 Steez TW SV is a close second.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:40 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 am
SSS wrote:

Have small hands as well, and i would agree on that statement. To each their own of course, but i personally find the og steez to be much comfier to palm than the newer steel. THe older steez fits in my palm like an egg.
I agree, the OG Steez was still more comfortable to palm. The 17 Steez TW SV is a close second.
Do you rock Shimano reels as well? How do you find the likes of the slx, scorpion, etc compared to the steez tw?

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:44 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:40 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 am
SSS wrote:

Do you rock Shimano reels as well? How do you find the likes of the slx, scorpion, etc compared to the steez tw?
Not really.

There was a time when I was trying to find what suited me and I bought Daiwa, Shimano, Quantum and Abu Garcia equally.
After playing around with all of them, I ended up on Daiwa camp.
Now, even if I tough another brand was a better option (which I don't) it would be difficult to justify the change as I only use Daiwa and have spare part, spools, bearing, drag disks, handles, tools, etc... and above all, I like their concept and quality.

When I have the chance to try my friend's gear, I still lob lures with other brand reels but just from curiosity.

Then I go on happily with Daiwa :whistle:

I have not tried the SLX nor any of the new Scorpion iterations so I cannot say.

I understand that this a tackle forum and I add gasoline to the fire as well but my philosophy of fishing has changed.

The newest and latest is no longer a top driving force on my purchases.
I look much more to what works over the long run and specific tools for specific jobs.
When I want to buy a reel, I look first to the schematics and I come here to listen to others experiences with a critical mind but silently. Then make an educated decision.

Casting 5% more is worth a backlash every 10 casts? or the extra fatigue in the end of the day?
Is it worth changing to a new reel because its slightly faster or have a clicking drag? and retire another reel that has proved itself and which you know by heart?

Just to give you an idea, I have a Daiwa T3 AIR 8.6L that I use with a Smith BST-EXS47UL/C3 and fish for trout.
I bought the reel in 2014 and the rod shortly after. I have caught tons of trout on it. Several above 20".
Shall I change to the newest and latest Daiwa or Shimano?
I know exactly how that setup reacts to a big fish and I know how much I can abuse it and when I'm on the limit. This took years to achieve. Plus, the ability to engage the gears without needing to engage the handle or use the other hand has given me so many fishes.

Sorry for the long reflection but I think its worth consider despite whatever bard you like/use

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:16 pm

I wasn't aware that Shimano had released a new 23 metanium 100.
I had to order one after seeing that it has a one piece frame like the Bantam.

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/ ... u7qac.html

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:45 am

has anyone used the Steez A/II for frogs?
im interested in how you liked it ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:28 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:45 am

This Wednesday I'll do it and report back

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:59 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:28 pm
goldrod wrote:

Thanks
Looking forward to it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm

shadybanks wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:16 pm
I wasn't aware that Shimano had released a new 23 metanium 100.
I had to order one after seeing that it has a one piece frame like the Bantam.

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/ ... u7qac.html
It is the same as the previous models, just with the USDM spec deeper spool. The Shallow Edition gets aluminum gears but the new 2023 100 version gets brass.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon May 01, 2023 5:46 am

Cracker wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm
Freddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm
Got it. Very similar although I wonder how much difference in weight there is and if they have different braking profiles.
TW HD MAZ-Z Boost - 14.8g
Not sure what is the weight for A II MAZ-Z Boost
The older Steez A MAG-Z spool weighs-?? deeper spool
The '19 Morethan PE spool MAG-Z spool weighs-14.15 g shallower spool
The Zillion TW HD MAG-Z Boost spool-14.8 g deeper spool
The '23 Steez A II MAG-Z Boost spool-?? deeper spool

By all appearances the '23 Steez has the same spool as the Zillion TW HD. If this is true, I've definitely no incentive for picking up the new Steez.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 02, 2023 10:22 am

Freddie wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:46 am
Cracker wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm
Freddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm
Got it. Very similar although I wonder how much difference in weight there is and if they have different braking profiles.
TW HD MAZ-Z Boost - 14.8g
Not sure what is the weight for A II MAZ-Z Boost
The older Steez A MAG-Z spool weighs-?? deeper spool
The '19 Morethan PE spool MAG-Z spool weighs-14.15 g shallower spool
The Zillion TW HD MAG-Z Boost spool-14.8 g deeper spool
The '23 Steez A II MAG-Z Boost spool-?? deeper spool

By all appearances the '23 Steez has the same spool as the Zillion TW HD. If this is true, I've definitely no incentive for picking up the new Steez.
Magnets also have an effect. I think the braking profile on the Zillion HD is stronger than the Zillion SV. Spools swaps by one person indicate that the Zillion HD is fitted with stronger magnets than the Zillion SV. On the other end the Steez SV TW has weaker magnets and the Zillion SV spool in that reel are noticeably "better" in casting by numerous reports. Does this translate into the Zillion HD spool being better in the Steez A or that the Steez A II is better casting than the Zillion HD? Don't know but I suspect the braking profile of the Zillion HD by either spool or magnets is a control orientated profile for taming big baits and bigger line. I just got one and on my 1st cast on max brake setting it showed that Hudd 68 special who was boss and dropped that thing. It seemed like it brought it to a haul mid air and put it in the water like it had a bone to pick. Went middle of the dial and all was well.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue May 02, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:33 am

Only two things that frighten me...

One is nuclear war and the other...people with small hands that smell like cabbage...

Yeah, it's a slow day. LMAO.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue May 02, 2023 11:55 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:33 am

One is nuclear war and the other...people with small hands that smell like cabbage...

People that smell like cabbage with small hands OR people with small cabbage smelling hands?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:55 am
dragon1 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:33 am

People that smell like cabbage with small hands OR people with small cabbage smelling hands?

Haha... sumpfin' like dat...I suppose only Austin "Danger" Powers knows for certain.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed May 03, 2023 12:21 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:59 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:28 pm
goldrod wrote:

Thanks
Looking forward to it

Not a great day for froggin' today! Strong breeze AND our emergent veg isn't quite up to par yet. I'll keep you posted.