New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:46 pm

All my reels are Shimano’s (Metaniums, Bantam, Antares), but I just decided to branch out and try a Daiwa Steez A II (JDM version). It replaced a Bantam on my Megabass BMG.I took it out tonight for a some testing. It doesn’t seem like it casts quite as far as my Shimano’s and isn’t a comfortable to palm. I’m not giving up yet, but am I just better off sticking to Shimano? I was thinking that the Steez is the pinnacle for Diawa reels.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Post by chreim20 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:24 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:46 pm
All my reels are Shimano’s (Metaniums, Bantam, Antares), but I just decided to branch out and try a Daiwa Steez A II (JDM version). It replaced a Bantam on my Megabass BMG.I took it out tonight for a some testing. It doesn’t seem like it casts quite as far as my Shimano’s and isn’t a comfortable to palm. I’m not giving up yet, but am I just better off sticking to Shimano? I was thinking that the Steez is the pinnacle for Diawa reels.
I've tried Daiwa but the ergonomics of Shimano just feel much more natural to me in my hand. Daiwa makes great products, but at the end of the day, I have to feel comfortable using the products. This is obviously going to be a personal preference. Stick with what feels better in hand. The Shimano reels you are using are NOT inferior to Daiwa reels by any means.

Freespoolit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freespoolit » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pm

I have a steez a the prior gen.

I’m also a fan of the shimanos. I feel like they’re more fun to cast and palm better.

I think the steez does a better job being easy to use. They don’t cast as far but don’t backlash as much either if you’re swapping out stuff or casting into the wind.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 pm

Imho, if anyone says either one is superior to the other, then they are splitting hairs. There is plenty to like about either brand and it comes down to personal preference. I'm a Daiwa guy, because I like consistent control. This comes at the price of a slightly lessened distance, which Im ok with. Centrifugal brakes just aren't as consistent as mag braking. That fact can't be argued. Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:21 pm

I used to prefer Shimano, but in recent years I have been a bigger fan of Daiwa mostly because of the many different spool options for any given Daiwa platform (34 mm spools especially).

Both brands feel great in my hand. The overall feeling of quality is what makes Shimano and Daiwa stand out and above most other brands. Yes, Steez is great and high-end Daiwa, but if palmability is an issue for you then consider all the other Daiwa platforms, e.g. Alphas and Pixy. Or just stick with what you already like.

Casting distance depends on so many factors - casting environment, weather conditions, lure, line, and rod - and both brands do fine for me. So does ABU and other brands when it comes to casting distance. On a football field with zero wind I may get best distance with Shimano and ABU. In actual fishing situations, when chasing trout along small streams with trees and wind in the mix, Daiwa does at least as good as Shimano (for me).

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:07 pm

Daiwa is not gonna win in casting distance some might cast better but overall with regular bass lure Shimano win hand down. As far as comfortable, over the years Shimano produced reel that is a tad more ergonomic and sit a tad lower, narrower making palming the whole reel better compare to Daiwa. The only Daiwa reel I found to be as comfortable as bantam and Curado 70 is 2020 alphas SV TW. Zillion SV TW with new design but still use old 34mm spool making the reel a tad taller and wider. I’m not sure about steez A but heard that Steez CT as small and as comfortable as Alphas.
Now though if you like smooth operation and easy to control, daiwa is the best. Also there are many customization that you can do with Daiwa to make it a reel you prefer.
I join the others and giving up on Shimano just because at my old age, distance is not everything but smoothness is what I prefer most.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:04 am

I'm curious as to how you compare the smoothness. Daiwa seems to win in that category in the mid price point. I think the Steez A 2 and new Zillion share gears so they should feel very similar.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 pm
Imho, if anyone says either one is superior to the other, then they are splitting hairs. There is plenty to like about either brand and it comes down to personal preference. I'm a Daiwa guy, because I like consistent control. This comes at the price of a slightly lessened distance, which Im ok with. Centrifugal brakes just aren't as consistent as mag braking. That fact can't be argued. Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
I was just about to make a Shimano purchase and now I’m not so sure
Great point about opinions
I have a TDZ 100M that I think is smooth
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
I can think of an “else”: a centrifugal system needs extra mass to experience that force and then work against a surface. In BFS mass = weight = “bad”. The FTB works on the spool itself without the need of any inductor or brake assembly so the limited acceptable mass can be used where it’s needed - in the stability of the spool itself.
So I think the combination of both weight and as mentioned by you linear and not exponential brake force make a great sub 3/16oz lure spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:43 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:00 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
I can think of an “else”: a centrifugal system needs extra mass to experience that force and then work against a surface. In BFS mass = weight = “bad”. The FTB works on the spool itself without the need of any inductor or brake assembly so the limited acceptable mass can be used where it’s needed - in the stability of the spool itself.
So I think the combination of both weight and as mentioned by you linear and not exponential brake force make a great sub 3/16oz lure spool.
To a lesser extent, you are correct regarding the weight savings on the spool itself. I figured that the weight savings would be the obvious, tangible point regarding FTB braking, so I pointed out the less obvious point of magnetic braking being more stable. Light lures magnify the flaws of baitcasting reels, therefore magnetic braking offers more consistent speed regulation in this "worst-case scenario". In my hands, Daiwa wins in ease of use. I want fishing to be as effortless as possible, because it is my therapy. The last thing I want is to blow up a new spool of line, then spend my valuable time picking out and/or cutting loose a birds nest.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:20 pm

Casting distance Shimano vs Daiwa? This is a whole nother can of worms. There are some big time Daiwa distance spools that I would put up there against anything Shimano has to offer.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:52 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:20 pm
Casting distance Shimano vs Daiwa? This is a whole nother can of worms. There are some big time Daiwa distance spools that I would put up there against anything Shimano has to offer.
True - let us not go down that worm hole 🙏🤞🤗🥳

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:44 am

After owning Abu, Quantum, Shimano, BPS and Daiwa, I ended up with Daiwa.

For me they have over-all better quality and better constructions design. The latest iteration of the Zillion might contradict the better construction design idea, considering the outrageous amount of screws used. Nevertheless a great performer and long lasting.

Concerning casting, my personal experience leads me to think that people that enjoy hard casting lean towards Shimano and lazy (more efficient casters) that enjoy effortless casting lean towards Daiwa.

Again, in my opinion you get more meters out of the energy you put in your cast with a Daiwa. Shimano might get you a bit further but you really need to put the effort and in a hole day of fishing the easiness and reproducibility of Daiwa wins for me.

Just to mix things a bit, I have a friend that left Shimano for Daiwa and you have no idea how far he can cast :shock:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 am

Both of them gives the me the same distance from my wallet
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:18 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 am
Both of them gives the me the same distance from my wallet
LMAO...gotta not reach so high up on dat top shelf Homie. :lol:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."