New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:54 am

Chode wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:45 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 pm
Imho, if anyone says either one is superior to the other, then they are splitting hairs. There is plenty to like about either brand and it comes down to personal preference. I'm a Daiwa guy, because I like consistent control. This comes at the price of a slightly lessened distance, which Im ok with. Centrifugal brakes just aren't as consistent as mag braking. That fact can't be argued. Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
What about their dc line like the slx dc xt 70? Does it exhibit consistent control? Is it better, worse, or same? ty
Actually the SLX DC XT 70 with i-DC5 is very consistent in control. To me, the iDC 5 is very capable of what SV can do and does better with none-aerodynamic type lures. I can feel the DC brake work better/harder than SV when overrun occurred on mid cast. On the other hand the idc5 brake feel over brake to me. I setup mine with F mode dial to 2 and feel I can get more with SVS infinity. If I change dial to 1 it become harder to control from bomb casting. Now my setting is N mode with dial 2 or 3 to loosen up the brake even I use 10lb FC line.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:48 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:54 am
Chode wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:45 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 pm
Imho, if anyone says either one is superior to the other, then they are splitting hairs. There is plenty to like about either brand and it comes down to personal preference. I'm a Daiwa guy, because I like consistent control. This comes at the price of a slightly lessened distance, which Im ok with. Centrifugal brakes just aren't as consistent as mag braking. That fact can't be argued. Why else would Shimano put mag braking on their BFS offerings? Simple answer is that consistent control is needed when tossing the light stuff, and mag brakes deliver that. I'm in no way throwing shade, just stating a fact.
What about their dc line like the slx dc xt 70? Does it exhibit consistent control? Is it better, worse, or same? ty
Actually the SLX DC XT 70 with i-DC5 is very consistent in control. To me, the iDC 5 is very capable of what SV can do and does better with none-aerodynamic type lures. I can feel the DC brake work better/harder than SV when overrun occurred on mid cast. On the other hand the idc5 brake feel over brake to me. I setup mine with F mode dial to 2 and feel I can get more with SVS infinity. If I change dial to 1 it become harder to control from bomb casting. Now my setting is N mode with dial 2 or 3 to loosen up the brake even I use 10lb FC line.
Thx for all that info

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:54 am

I have to agree that a major appeal of Daiwa to anglers is the ease of use. I can fish with very inexperienced anglers who can use Daiwa SV reels. For me personally they need less adjusting and you don't have to be as careful. Shimano reels do generally cast further, but it is minimal and you'd have to measure to see the difference. I'd take a few meters or so for control and ease of use. This being said I still like Shimano and will always own both.

Concerning the old Steez SVTW frame, it is okay, but I understand the complaints of it being outdated. I'd have a hard time paying for a Steez A 2 or SVTW when the Zillion is a much better deal and feel to me.

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:49 am
The Steez is too wide and uncomfortable in my opinion. I may keep it a while, but I am likely headed back to Shimano…
I just got a steez A TW HLC and spent some time palming it before fishing. It is shaped much different than shimanos. I feel like it has an odd wide taper that sticks out most near the brake adjustment dial. Something like the metanium and even antares have this area slimmed down. The way I palm with my hand size (normal palming) the protruding bump rubs against the bone on the side of my pointer finger knuckle. Its not very comfortable. I want to try the steez ct, but i dont think I will purchase another reel with this frame (steez a, ltd, etc). If available, I would try to get hands on the reel before buying.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:17 pm

Bigfella123 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 pm
Rodster14 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:49 am
The Steez is too wide and uncomfortable in my opinion. I may keep it a while, but I am likely headed back to Shimano…
I just got a steez A TW HLC and spent some time palming it before fishing. It is shaped much different than shimanos. I feel like it has an odd wide taper that sticks out most near the brake adjustment dial. Something like the metanium and even antares have this area slimmed down. The way I palm with my hand size (normal palming) the protruding bump rubs against the bone on the side of my pointer finger knuckle. Its not very comfortable. I want to try the steez ct, but i dont think I will purchase another reel with this frame (steez a, ltd, etc). If available, I would try to get hands on the reel before buying.
the A TW HLC is larger and the spool size is larger.. the Steez A II spool will not fit in your HLC..
I think that you will like the Steez A II personally. The HLC is a larger frame if Im not mistaken
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:03 am

Frame size between the two are the same. The HLC gets the hole milled out bigger. The Steez TW reels are all native 36mm frames but only the HLC made use of the 36mmn available diameter.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:09 am

I have decided not to keep the Steez. I will be posting it for sale soon. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:25 pm

What is the difference between the spool of the Steez A II and the Zillion TW HD?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:27 pm

Freddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:25 pm
What is the difference between the spool of the Steez A II and the Zillion TW HD?
As I recall - TW HD has 16lb -100m
A II - 14lb-100m/16lb-90m
Both are MAG-Z Boost.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm

Got it. Very similar although I wonder how much difference in weight there is and if they have different braking profiles.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm

Freddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm
Got it. Very similar although I wonder how much difference in weight there is and if they have different braking profiles.
TW HD MAZ-Z Boost - 14.8g
Not sure what is the weight for A II MAZ-Z Boost

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:30 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:03 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:50 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:15 pm
The 2016 steez platform is super outdated, and Daiwa has been milking it as much as possible. Should have tested a zillion 2021 instead of wasting money on any steez.
What makes it outdated? While it is true that the current Steez and Zillion models are based on a frame design that originates from 2016, I personally think that there is little to improve on. If you go smaller (ie Steez CT model) you are sacrificing line capacity and even ergonomics.

I have many of the high end models of Shimano and Daiwa and I have to say that the haptics of the 2016 Steez frame are by far the best in the business, at least in my humble opinion.
I understand though that the frame might not as comfortable for smaller hands and hence some users might push for Daiwa to go smaller with their frames.

As someone that fishes 75% from the bank, I do prefer a decently sized spool to ensure I have enough line available for longer casts with heavier line. The 70 sized spools just do not cut it for me.

Between the 2016 Steez SV TW and the 2021 Zillion, I would still choose the Steez any day of the week. It is more refined and just an amazing all around reel. I do not see any other reel out there to offer that level of all around capability.

But hey, there are many choices out there for you to pick from! :)
In my opinion, the frame itself. Ever since they released the Steez CT, i wasn't sure why the standard steez tw is still a thing. Now that the Zillion is out, which is a small compact little reel, there is even less reason to bother with the 2016 steez frame, especially at the price they're still selling these for. This is like the 2013 Metanium frame that overstayed its welcome.
I have small hands and in my experience, the frame of the Steez TW SV has better ergonomics than the Zillion TW SV and is possible one of the best palming reels being sold. It palms as a much smaller reel and still gives you a tight grip. I also would choose the Steez any day of the week if I could afford to buy 3 or 4 more to have on the deck.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:03 am
Frame size between the two are the same. The HLC gets the hole milled out bigger. The Steez TW reels are all native 36mm frames but only the HLC made use of the 36mmn available diameter.
I thought the same but having both the Steez A TW HLC and the Steez TW SV, I can tell that they are not the same. The Steez A is taller and overall, a different frame.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:18 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:37 am
LowRange wrote:
I thought the same but having both the Steez A TW HLC and the Steez TW SV, I can tell that they are not the same. The Steez A is taller and overall, a different frame.
You're right. Its the A that is native 36mm. The SV TW is native 34mm. Small but perceptible difference. The tell tail is the flat spot above the spool rim on the A with a 34mm spool. That area gets milled out on the HLC to accommodate a 36mm spool. It is not present on the SV TW. This makes the A 2mm taller than the SV TW.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:18 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:37 am
LowRange wrote:
You're right. Its the A that is native 36mm. The SV TW is native 34mm. Small but perceptible difference. The tell tail is the flat spot above the spool rim on the A with a 34mm spool. That area gets milled out on the HLC to accommodate a 36mm spool. It is not present on the SV TW. This makes the A 2mm taller than the SV TW.
Spot on.

Unless you have the reels in hand and inspect them with a keen eye, one would probably will never notice the difference.