New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
butch
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: New Steez A II vs High End Shimano’s

Post by butch » Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 am

Freddie wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:46 am
Cracker wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm
Freddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm
Got it. Very similar although I wonder how much difference in weight there is and if they have different braking profiles.
TW HD MAZ-Z Boost - 14.8g
Not sure what is the weight for A II MAZ-Z Boost
The older Steez A MAG-Z spool weighs-?? deeper spool
The '19 Morethan PE spool MAG-Z spool weighs-14.15 g shallower spool
The Zillion TW HD MAG-Z Boost spool-14.8 g deeper spool
The '23 Steez A II MAG-Z Boost spool-?? deeper spool

By all appearances the '23 Steez has the same spool as the Zillion TW HD. If this is true, I've definitely no incentive for picking up the new Steez.
old Steez A TW spool weight - 13,8 g
23 Steez A II TW spool weight - 16 g

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 05, 2023 6:57 am

Is there a real difference between the old and new Steez A ?
Something about the new Steez makes me want like it more than the previous version but I can’t say what it is exactly

Something Tim mentioned about Shimano vs Daiwa breaking that I can’t remember verbatim but experience recently when casting out jerkbaits was Shimano non dc was inconsistent and gave me backlashes but the daiwa was more consistent and allowed me to cast against the wind ( not too strong of a wind) and not BN.
Soon as it happened I was confronted with his words.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:16 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:57 am
Is there a real difference between the old and new Steez A ?
Something about the new Steez makes me want like it more than the previous version but I can’t say what it is exactly

Something Tim mentioned about Shimano vs Daiwa breaking that I can’t remember verbatim but experience recently when casting out jerkbaits was Shimano non dc was inconsistent and gave me backlashes but the daiwa was more consistent and allowed me to cast against the wind ( not too strong of a wind) and not BN.
Soon as it happened I was confronted with his words.
Pretty sure the old Steez A did not have the Hyper Gears (slightly different cut). This along with no handle bearings and maybe just less desired knobs make for a worse feel.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri May 05, 2023 11:40 am

My Shimanos only become inconsistent when:
A) there’s too much side to side play what makes totally sense because that’s how brake force is increased, by ever so slightly moving the brake cone in or out in that direction. If the spool can move that way, the brake force can vary. The necessary travel / movement is ridiculously tiny.
B) dealing with super unaerodynamic lures and a too weak brake setting

I feel a MGL2/3 Shimano can behave just as reliably as any Daiwa, if you set the brake not for longest cast but for „casts just as far as a Daiwa“. And if you just look at the full numbers + half values on the dial and ignore the possibility to set it to any value in between, you can emulate the steps of a Daiwa-dial.

I only backlash if I willingly go into that max distance realm and really push the limits.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 am

If tried the high end DC reels, a few Steez, some high end Abu reels and the new Zillions BUT at the end of the day, the jdm Metanium reels around $250ish was a no brainer. I kinda sucks using the same reels all the time but “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” really applies to the Metaniums. I’ve fished tons of tourneys as a co angler & casting distance is major from the back of the boat. They pair up great with Nrx rods!

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun May 07, 2023 5:48 pm

I have several Steez including the A and AII and HLC and about 25 other Daiwa reels. My favorite use for Daiwas is for skipping baits with an SV spool. Despite trying really hard, and spending thousands of dollars on the Best Daiwa reels, the Metanium is my favorite reels for most baitcasting duties. There are a few exceptions, such as a 36mm Morethan that is great for heavy braid and 1oz deep trigs and crigs and the Alphas for some light cranking and a Steez with an SV spool for skipping. Mag Z spools in Daiwas are better than SV if casting distance is important.

I fish mostly clear reservoirs where long casts are needed and I have not found a reel that can throw most baits any further than a MET. I change out the Met gears if they loose their smoothness. Bottom line for me is "The Metanium fits my casting needs better than most any Daiwa that I can find, so far."

Despite all that I just said, I will still keep buying all the latest reels by both Daiwa, Shimano and others since I enjoy trying things and refining what I like to use. At this point in my life, the enjoyment of experimentation and use of newer technology holds my attention better than many other things that I have tried. Thats what a hobby like this does for me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 pm

amso4 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:48 pm
I have several Steez including the A and AII and HLC and about 25 other Daiwa reels. My favorite use for Daiwas is for skipping baits with an SV spool. Despite trying really hard, and spending thousands of dollars on the Best Daiwa reels, the Metanium is my favorite reels for most baitcasting duties. There are a few exceptions, such as a 36mm Morethan that is great for heavy braid and 1oz deep trigs and crigs and the Alphas for some light cranking and a Steez with an SV spool for skipping. Mag Z spools in Daiwas are better than SV if casting distance is important.

I fish mostly clear reservoirs where long casts are needed and I have not found a reel that can throw most baits any further than a MET. I change out the Met gears if they loose their smoothness. Bottom line for me is "The Metanium fits my casting needs better than most any Daiwa that I can find, so far."

Despite all that I just said, I will still keep buying all the latest reels by both Daiwa, Shimano and others since I enjoy trying things and refining what I like to use. At this point in my life, the enjoyment of experimentation and use of newer technology holds my attention better than many other things that I have tried. Thats what a hobby like this does for me.

I have not used the metanium but you have got me looking to borrow one or two
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 am

I would still be tempted by a Metanium. I just am not sure they offer much more than a comparably priced Daiwa. With the Zillion I get smooth, so far durable gears, a clicking drag, and a very easy to cast spool. I'd really need to fish one for a few months to get a feel of the Metanium smoothness. I would bet anything my style of fishing would never rough the gears.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon May 08, 2023 7:06 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 pm
amso4 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:48 pm

I have not used the metanium but you have got me looking to borrow one or two
I've never owned a Met either, but I recently decided I 'need' two of them. Haven't owned a shimano since the mg50. I have faith it'll be good.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed May 10, 2023 6:23 am

I might be in the minority, I turned to prefer smoothness off Daiwa compared to Shimano distance.
My last purchased is SLX DC XT70 and every time I use it, I miss smoothness from Zillion and Alphas SV TW. Last decision was to sell brand new CQ100 since I’m not sure how long it would stay smooth. The only Shimano I kept and still smooth is CQ50 (finesse reel) and hardly use CQ101DC. I also kept SLX XT for those heavier applications and when I’m in kayak that I don’t care much for smoothness.
The only thing I missed from Shimano is comfortable palming which most of Daiwa cannot compare.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed May 10, 2023 9:00 am

Hennessy wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 am
If tried the high end DC reels, a few Steez, some high end Abu reels and the new Zillions BUT at the end of the day, the jdm Metanium reels around $250ish was a no brainer. I kinda sucks using the same reels all the time but “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” really applies to the Metaniums. I’ve fished tons of tourneys as a co angler & casting distance is major from the back of the boat. They pair up great with Nrx rods!
I can get crazy distance with my JDM met and , Phenix k2 714 with a fluke. I'd bet $ no spinning rig could outcast it.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu May 11, 2023 2:46 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:00 am
I can get crazy distance with my JDM met and , Phenix k2 714 with a fluke. I'd bet $ no spinning rig could outcast it.
[/quote]

😁

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:15 pm

For the Steez A 2, whay spool options are out there for a little less line capacity. Something that holds around 110 yds of 12 lb line.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:40 am

Scuba Scott wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:15 pm
For the Steez A 2, whay spool options are out there for a little less line capacity. Something that holds around 110 yds of 12 lb line.
The ‘19 Daiwa Morethan PE spool is a shallower spool that would be right there in that ball park. A lot of guys put Steez A spools in the Morethan because they need more capacity but if you are using braid or sub 14# nylon the Morethan spool is perfect. It is also one of the lighter 34mm Mag-Z spools available.

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:06 pm

I thought the Steez CT SV TW 700h was pretty nice all around I just couldn't get used to the right hand retrieve so I put it up on eBay. It's still up there now if anyone is interested in a like new reel for a bargain.