Antares in cold weather, does it get really cold?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Antares in cold weather, does it get really cold?

Post by Bigfella123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:08 am

I am thinking of picking up an Antares DC, I saw it is make of aluminum, but Im wondering how cold it gets in cold weather? Does the chrome coating help?

I love my conquest but dang that thing turns into an ice cube while fishing winter steelhead, so much so that I am probably going to get rid of it :crying:

I like the steez a because it has that zaion side plate on the palming side which makes things a little better.

Is the 21 antares dc palm side plate aluminum or ci4?

Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Antares in cold weather, does it get really cold?

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:04 am

It's an ice cube. You want the new Zillion with the plastic top cover over an aluminum frame or a reel made from plastic. Nicest plastic reel is probably the Chronarch MGL. I would take the Zillion or Zillion HD

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Antares in cold weather, does it get really cold?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:03 pm

Hard to beat a threadline in cold weather...FWIW.

But yes, the finish on the Calais and Antares is as cold as the Conquest, Calcutta and other all metal framed reels sans paint coating.

Some good paint does help on reels as well, with darker matte colors attracting more heat.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."