21 Exsence A 4000 ($100 off) vs Vanquish

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

21 Exsence A 4000 ($100 off) vs Vanquish

Post by Bigfella123 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:09 am

So my tackle store is selling the exsence 4000 for $500 on sale. I got my hands on it and loved it!! I need a new twitching reel for coho and steelhead, but I was waiting to see the reviews for the 23 vanquish. Now im torn haha. Both jdm models in the 4000 size for the vanquish are lighter, but slightly more expensive, and im not sure how the warranty works for jdm reels if there is any? They also had a 22 stella for sale so I got hands on that also. I got to feel the infinity loop which was awesome, that spool goes up and down so slow!! I have heard that the exsence felt more "solid" compared to the 19 vanquish.

Anyway, can anyone give me some comparisons with either the 19 or 23 vanquish vs the exsence (preferably in the 4000 size)?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 21 Exsence A 4000 ($100 off) vs Vanquish

Post by Winstondry » Tue May 09, 2023 11:26 am

Here’s my take on your question, if the latest most updated model means much to you, then the obvious answer is the new Vanquish. While I’ve not handled the Vanquish, I do own both the 3K and 4K Exsence reels. They are as smooth as any other top tier Shimano spinning reel I’ve handled and I’ve had several Stellas at different times, although I’ve not actually used my 4K reel, the 3K gets used quite a bit.

I also prefer the stealthy Batman-esque look of the Exsence.

If you look hard enough online, you may even find them for about $100 cheaper than the sale price stated in your post.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue May 09, 2023 11:45 am

Bigfella123 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:09 am
Anyway, can anyone give me some comparisons with either the 19 or 23 vanquish vs the exsence (preferably in the 4000 size)?
Infinity Loop and that silly shark fin piece actually makes a difference - on my Stella FK I'm getting noticeably longer casting distance with PE1 YGK on a 9ft Labrax AGS. Normally I wouldn't say you need the latest model of any reel...but Shimano definitely doubled down on line management with the new Stella, and the new Vanquish will come with the same tech. For me it's a no brainer to wait for the Vanquish.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Wed May 10, 2023 7:46 am

I have the previous model Vanquish and I love that reel. It is the smoothest spinner I own and has a buttery drag. For reference also own the old and new model Exsence and the Certate.

As for the Vanquish not feeling as solid as the Exsence I can agree with that. The Vanquish is more of a finesse reel meant for light line and light drag. The Exsence was designed as a sea bass reel so it’s meant for bigger fish and hard runs. But in saying that, the Exsence still feels finessey and has a light winding when you turn the handle and has a buttery drag. If you are fishing for coho and steelhead I would definitely go with the Exsence or the Stella. Plus you will be supporting your local tackle store which is a plus.

Personally though from now on I will only buy reels from the US because of the warranty. The Vanquish isn’t available in the US so any parts you need for that reel will have to be ordered from Japan and you will have to find someone who can work on jdm reels. A USDM reel you can just send it in to Shimano with people who work on those same reels everyday and know them inside out.

Honestly no wrong decision with either of those reels. Let us know what you end up with.

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Thu May 11, 2023 10:07 am

Sweet, thanks for the thoughts. Looks like the 4000 sized vanquish models have a carbon handle too, which is light, but not my cup of tea. The 5000 vanquish has a metal handle, but the 4000 exsence with metal handle is lighter. I will go pick up the exsence today :D

coho08
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by coho08 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 am

I have the 21 Exsence 3K and the 3K 23 Vanquish, two entirely different monsters.

The Exsense is the best "larger" fish spinning reel I've ever used with one major caveat, the drag. The carbon fiber drag stack is the worst drag I've ever used on a high-end reel. There is a massive sticking point before the drag releases and I almost threw my setup on shore after losing two huge buck steelheads because the damn drag didn't release quickly or smoothly enough on the first big runs. If you fish for steelhead you know what I'm talking about, they turn into silver torpedos. Change to felt washers and problem solved.

The body is amazingly light given how sturdy it is and it's certainly smooth, just not Vanquish smooth.

For lighter line applications the 23 Vanquish has made the highest end spinning reels obsolete at the price. This absolutely includes the Stella, the Exist isn't even close IMO.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:29 pm

coho08 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 am
The Exsense is the best "larger" fish spinning reel I've ever used with one major caveat, the drag. The carbon fiber drag stack is the worst drag I've ever used on a high-end reel. There is a massive sticking point before the drag releases and I almost threw my setup on shore after losing two huge buck steelheads because the damn drag didn't release quickly or smoothly enough on the first big runs.
It is 100% not designed for freshwater bass fishing (or steelheads lol) - it's a saltwater surf reel and the decision Shimano NA made to bring over the Exsence and not the Vanquish is among the biggest head scratchers in the tackle world.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:34 pm

Bump.

Is there any remedy for the sticking drag for the Exsence? Is there a felt drag washer set available for the Exsence 4000?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:10 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:34 pm
Bump.

Is there any remedy for the sticking drag for the Exsence? Is there a felt drag washer set available for the Exsence 4000?
How many people have experienced it? I used to fish an Excense A 3000 on my dropshot rod and didn't notice these issues. But I never had fish slam my baits and go on a sudden run, my drag got eased into when I set the hook.

Once the drag is engaged it's always felt super smooth. I landed a DD largemouth on that reel on light line and was never worried about the draf.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:39 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:10 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:34 pm
Bump.

How many people have experienced it? I used to fish an Excense A 3000 on my dropshot rod and didn't notice these issues. But I never had fish slam my baits and go on a sudden run, my drag got eased into when I set the hook.

Once the drag is engaged it's always felt super smooth. I landed a DD largemouth on that reel on light line and was never worried about the draf.
Good to know, I'm just referencing the post by coho08 above.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."