Do magnetic braking systems wear out over time?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mbleming
Angler
Angler

Do magnetic braking systems wear out over time?

Post by mbleming » Thu May 11, 2023 7:59 am

I have a Megabass IP68 reel that is giving me some casting issues even when I have the brakes set to the highest level and spool tension pretty high. I can barely tame the spool and get loops often times if wind isn't dead still. Is it possible that the braking magnets have weakened over time? Is this something that happens with use? If so, can they be replaced? The issue is less pronounced when casting heavier lures, but anything from 1/4 to 3/8 can give me varying levels of trouble...any ideas?

Thanks!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Do magnetic braking systems wear out over time?

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:43 am

Obviously neodym magnets could become weaker...:
https://totalelement.com/blogs/about-ne ... -over-time
Like all magnets, neodymium magnets will eventually lose their strength over time, but this process is slow and can take many years or decades.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 11, 2023 10:41 am

I would check to see if it is a spool issue 1st. Do you have another spool to swap in even if it is only a 34mm spool from another Diawa?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:41 pm

Similar problem as this?
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... lit=Magnet

Has the magnet assembly been taken apart before?

mbleming
Angler
Angler

Post by mbleming » Thu May 18, 2023 12:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help...I do not have another spool to try with the reel, unfortunately. I'd love to try another that might work better with lighter stuff (1/4 oz and up). I'm clueless about how to tell which aftermarket spool will and will not work with this reel...Any ideas of what would work? I'm going to try to respool it and get a look inside to see if anything looks off and try to dial it in again.
thanks again!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri May 19, 2023 7:03 pm

By the time they do, you will be 50 years older and forget you even had the reel. Nothing to worry about. Never ever had anything wrong with magnets from daiway or abu.