Daiwa Experts SOS! Bought a JDM Steez CT SV TW700 and think I made a mistake. USDM differences?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Experts SOS! Bought a JDM Steez CT SV TW700 and think I made a mistake. USDM differences?

Post by Thenewrick » Wed May 24, 2023 9:19 pm

Hi I registered specifically because I’m sort of upset and confused.

I wanted to get a Steez CT SV TW. I saw the U.S. vendors called it a CT70 and it cost about $750. On a JDM tackle website I found a Steez CT SV TW700 for about $500. I saw that the JDM version had a lower gear ratio which appealed to me. And I watched a YouTube video where he compares the older CT SV TW to the limited edition new version(which I think is what the new usdm version became?) and he found virtually no differences.

So I figured okay I’d get the JDM one and save some $.

Now I think I made a big mistake.

I read that the JDM version I bought has different gears without the hyperdrive technology and has a smaller handle.

Is this true? I really wanted the hyperdrive gear technology. I’m getting major FOMO. I also prefer a larger handle because I’m a big guy with bigger hands.

I already panic bought a $11 95mm reel on Aliexpress that says it fits Daiwa reels.

I’m just having regrets for not spending the extra on the American version.

Can anyone confirm that my thinking is correct? Are there any other differences? How big of a deal is it that I’m not getting the hyperdrive? Is there a way to find out if my reel has the hyperdrive?

I get so confused by fishing gear specs. It’s so unclear what you’re actually getting or not getting. I’m frustrated.

I’m hoping someone out there is an expert on Steez specs. I’m a little obsessive over little details like this. I use my gear hard and really wanted the best of the best. Now I’m thinking I got “old” 2nd tier tech and a less comfortable handle.

The JDM vendor has a cancelation fee I don’t want to pay so I’m stuck with it. Just really bummed out and having buyers remorse but I might just be ignorant. :|

SOS to Daiwa experts out there!

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Experts SOS! Bought a JDM Steez CT SV TW700 and think I made a mistake. USDM differences?

Post by dennis_rf » Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 am

That’s quite an interesting topic you are opening up. I have yet to see a statement clearly defining what hypergear actually is and really see where the differences are. My impression so far was Daiwa just decided to start giving its gear cutting technology a fancy name because… marketing.
So did the gears really change from the Steez SV TW to its Limited variant? I don’t remember 100% but I also felt like when the term came up initially, existing platforms got a magic hyper update out of a sudden. Nameless frame before, now for the new reel it’s called a hyper one. Double pinion support? Call it hyper!
I hope there’s someone with more gear cutting knowledge and a side by side comparison at hand to clear things up if anything has changed since things are hyper.

To me at this point hyper means nothing, they are using it for everything and anything. The og Steez CT SV TW is a ridiculously smooth and silent reel, no matter what.
Handle length… sure. You should get a longer one, I do that on all my JDM reels.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Experts SOS! Bought a JDM Steez CT SV TW700 and think I made a mistake. USDM differences?

Post by bronzefly » Thu May 25, 2023 4:04 am

First we can address Hyperdrive technology. It is a new gear design, not a rebranding of something else. Basic information about this has been published since Daiwa released the US Zillion G and is there for viewing on their website:

Daiwa Zillion

I've seen a couple of depictions that more accurately describe the shape of the new gear design. The gist is that there is more constant surface area contact between both drive and pinion gears in order to provide all the benefits described - smoother, more rigid, more power, etc.

To the OP, yes, the JDM version has different gears (non-Hyperdrive) and a smaller handle (80mm). Another thing people overlook when buying a JDM Steez or JDM Exist is that they do not come with 5 years of Executive Service, and of course no warranty. Daiwa has extended its Executive Service program to all US Steez and Exist purchased new from an authorized US Dealer. 5 years of free cleaning and repair through an Executive Service Center, which The Tackle Trap is one. If you think about it, that is a huge value proposition in and of itself.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 25, 2023 4:04 am

Thenewrick wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:19 pm
Hi I registered specifically because I’m sort of upset and confused.

I wanted to get a Steez CT SV TW. I saw the U.S. vendors called it a CT70 and it cost about $750. On a JDM tackle website I found a Steez CT SV TW700 for about $500. I saw that the JDM version had a lower gear ratio which appealed to me. And I watched a YouTube video where he compares the older CT SV TW to the limited edition new version(which I think is what the new usdm version became?) and he found virtually no differences.

So I figured okay I’d get the JDM one and save some $.

Now I think I made a big mistake.

I read that the JDM version I bought has different gears without the hyperdrive technology and has a smaller handle.

Is this true? I really wanted the hyperdrive gear technology. I’m getting major FOMO. I also prefer a larger handle because I’m a big guy with bigger hands.

I already panic bought a $11 95mm reel on Aliexpress that says it fits Daiwa reels.

I’m just having regrets for not spending the extra on the American version.

Can anyone confirm that my thinking is correct? Are there any other differences? How big of a deal is it that I’m not getting the hyperdrive? Is there a way to find out if my reel has the hyperdrive?

I get so confused by fishing gear specs. It’s so unclear what you’re actually getting or not getting. I’m frustrated.

I’m hoping someone out there is an expert on Steez specs. I’m a little obsessive over little details like this. I use my gear hard and really wanted the best of the best. Now I’m thinking I got “old” 2nd tier tech and a less comfortable handle.

The JDM vendor has a cancelation fee I don’t want to pay so I’m stuck with it. Just really bummed out and having buyers remorse but I might just be ignorant. :|

SOS to Daiwa experts out there!
I had this argument a while back. I ended up getting a Millionaire CTSV, but I considered a JDM Steez CTSV for the same reason you did. I assumed the only difference was cosmetic and a handle/knob change for the USDM model (also an executive warranty program). Someone corrected me though and said it used the newer gears. I am not sure if you could search and find the thread, but the same thing came up to as what "hyperdrive" gears actually are. I am sure the newer cut gear teeth on the US model are great if they are anything like the new Zillion or other new Daiwas that use those gears, but the previous generation is fine too. I would by no means be worried that you were getting old tech. I have been totally satisfied with my Millionaire, and I am pretty sure it's gears are close to the older Alphas. For the handle though, you are right, I cannot stand an 80mm handle. I can work with my Conquest's 84mm (mainly cause I cannot find a stock replacement), but 80mm feels odd. The Aliexpress handle should work fine, but if it were me I would have gotten a stock one from Daiwa USA to keep that reel clean and purdy looking. Basically any 90mm would work, as should the Aliexpress one.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 25, 2023 4:15 am

Its basically the same reel except way cheaper. You can buy a $50 Gomexus handle, Zillion gears and still come out on top in value.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu May 25, 2023 5:20 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 4:15 am
Its basically the same reel except way cheaper. You can buy a $50 Gomexus handle, Zillion gears and still come out on top in value.
That depends on your definition of value. $500 + $50 (handle) + $70 (gears)... if one can install the gears themselves, that's good, otherwise paying to have it done. So you're at $620 now, you have no warranty, and if you are spending that much on a high end reel, it should be serviced annually $30 a year x 5 years = $150. Now you're at $770... sure, some guys can service reels themselves... have one gear set failure, one level wind problem, or one serviceable warranty event in that 5 year time frame, add all that up and in my book, you do not come out on top in value. To each their own however...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 am

Thanks for the replies.

How come the jdm CTSVTW700 doesn’t have the hyperdrive gears? Is there any way to tell?

Did I get some type of older version or did the JDM not update their Steez with hyperdrive and it only went to other countries like USA? I guess in my mind I’d think JDM would get the tech first then other countries.

Is there anyway to look up my serial number or model number to see if it has hyperdrive or because it’s JDM it just doesn’t get it? Is there a JDM version that does have hyperdrive that I’m not aware of.

The US warranty is nice but I suppose I didn’t see myself using it and $250 was a big difference. There’s a reel repair shop here incase I ever run into trouble. Is there no warranty at all with JDM stuff or is it just lessened?

I really wish I had gotten the hyperdrive gears :(. That’s like my main concern with baitcasting reels is the strength and smoothness of the gears because I’m so hard on my reels. I cast hard, reel in hard, use high drag and so on.

Recently broke a rod catching a bowfin on accident and my Curado DC struggled with fighting it. It’s the ultra high gear ratio version and it felt like it didn’t have enough torque and the handle was kinda small. Felt kinda helpless.

Oh and it’s possible I could just have the gears switched out for the hyperdrive gears? Is it mostly just 1 or 2 main gears that’s making up the hyperdrive system? Maybe I can fish it hard and one day if it starts having issues I can upgrade to hyperdrive if they’re interchangeable.

The handle I got was shockingly cheap at $11 shipped so I’m not confident it’ll work but I’ll give it a try.

Anyways maybe there’s a chance mine has hyperdrive and the handles work?

Why wouldn’t JDM get hyperdrive? Did I get an old version on accident and is there a newer JDM version of the CT SV TW?

I hope the handle I got works. It’s 95mm.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu May 25, 2023 5:50 am

The CTSV might not have been the right choice at all with hard use that you outline. Also, walk softly when ordering from Japan vendors. Ordering-cancelling-refunding are things that ruin it for the rest of us when they decide to limit or stop their sales to the US. Stick with Dick Sporting Goods or the like. You should assume no warranty when buying from Japan.

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Thu May 25, 2023 5:58 am

Is this site affiliated with tackle trap?

I saw that there were hyperdrive gears for sale for zillion and they are supposed to fit the ctsv and that they are brass. I thought the ctsv gears were aluminum. Now I’m even more confused. It’s so frustrating that there isn’t a very clear spec list for products that can be easily read and understood. I was hoping for brass hyperdrive gears and I think I got aluminum old generation gears. But why would the JDM ctsv have the old tech and the usdm get the new tech? I’m so confused.

I’m generally not a warranty guy. If something breaks I tend to take it to an independent shop and upgrade it whatever it is. Cars, computers etc.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu May 25, 2023 6:03 am

Thenewrick wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:58 am
Is this site affiliated with tackle trap?
Tackle Trap is a former advertiser on the site. Bronzefly is a longstanding member.

There's also a bit of a dive into Daiwa's HyperDrive gear design in our review of the '21 Zillion/Zillion G. It's more related to the way the gears are cut than the material.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillionsvtwg.html

Example, aluminum is used in the JDM Zillion to save weight. Bronze is used in the USDM Zillion for better durability.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Thu May 25, 2023 6:09 am

To add insult to injury I just looked at my order confirmation and they’re sending me the wrong reel anyways lol. Okay learned my lesson no more JDM bargain hunting. I added the 6:1 ratio version to my cart and when I paid for it and got a confirmation on the order it says it’s sending the 7:1 ratio version. Fml.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu May 25, 2023 6:53 am

They feel exactly the same. JDM steez CT is as smooth as reels can be, so being worried about some Daiwa branding on the box is completely pointless. You gotta run over a baitcaster with your truck to break it, so the warranty is completely not needed and IF you do happen to have an issue with something, you can order everything you need on PLAT. As for the handle, the original looks very barebones, so 80 or 90mm, its better to swap it to something that looks better for a reel of this caliber. There was one handle on Ali that were pretty amazing for the money, but it looks like they're sold out. You can always pm the seller and ask them if they will more stock in the future. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802NhnCMl

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 am

Thanks for the replies.

I asked to cancel my order but if they won’t do it without penalty fees I’ll just take it and use it and try the Ali express handles. If the gears ever fail I figure I can just buy the upgraded hyperdrive ones then.

I’m still just so mad that the jdm ones don’t have the newest gears. This doesn’t make sense to me. Do the Japanese brands often send the newer best tech to the USA then later on it gets added to jdm models? It just seems so backwards to my assumptions.

How do I even know what reel I ordered? Is it a 2016 model? A 2019? It’s so vague. I wanted the 2021+ newest one but I guess they often don’t tell you what version they’re selling.

I don’t know. I’m just so frustrated by all of it. It’s so different than buying anything else where it’s absolutely clear what you’re getting and what’s different between models.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu May 25, 2023 7:26 am

Thenewrick wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 am
How do I even know what reel I ordered? Is it a 2016 model? A 2019? It’s so vague. I wanted the 2021+ newest one but I guess they often don’t tell you what version they’re selling.

I don’t know. I’m just so frustrated by all of it. It’s so different than buying anything else where it’s absolutely clear what you’re getting and what’s different between models.
Depends a lot on your source for the tackle. JapanTackle (banner above) is very good about responding to messages and answering questions you may have. Maybe not the most inexpensive source, but certainly reputable otherwise we would not have them advertising on the site.

When you're chasing the best price, sometimes you get what you don't pay for ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 25, 2023 7:54 am

Thenewrick wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:14 am
Thanks for the replies.

I asked to cancel my order but if they won’t do it without penalty fees I’ll just take it and use it and try the Ali express handles. If the gears ever fail I figure I can just buy the upgraded hyperdrive ones then.

I’m still just so mad that the jdm ones don’t have the newest gears. This doesn’t make sense to me. Do the Japanese brands often send the newer best tech to the USA then later on it gets added to jdm models? It just seems so backwards to my assumptions.

It's the same reel. Put a longer handle on if you like. Yes it's the early version of the Steez CT 70 but a Steez CT 70 is a Steez CT 70 wheather it is a 2019 or 2023. It's going to fish and feel the same. The gears may not be hyper but they are super smooth. The handle may be shorter because it's JDM and they like that but you save hundreds of dollars.