Shimano Casitas 150

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Casitas 150

Post by romans » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:04 pm

So here is my dilemma that i am hoping for some help on. I have this reel basically new with upgraded spool bearings. I have had it for years and just this year started really using it. In the reels range of weights it casts really good and to me palms about perfect. The downside is I keep throwing baits with it right at the threshold of where the casitas is user friendly to you are constantly making brake adjustments. Changing baits,line and rods defeats the combo so I am looking to change the reel.
I am not trying to turn the reel into a BFS reel, just make it more user friendly on the lighter baits I like to throw with this combo.
I looked into the MGL spool and doesnt appear to be a cost effective solution. What I saw was $94 for the spool,I figure at that price I might as well go with a entirely different reel. If somebody knows where to get said spool cheaper I am all ears.

I see finesse spools for like $35 but I am concerned that they would be too shallow, at least with my limited experience the honeycomb type spools were typically extremely shallow and they give line capacities of said spool but I do not understand the numbers at all.

Are there others options that I am not aware of? Or is it time to just suck it up and get a different reel all together?
Thanks