T Wing rusting

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

T Wing rusting

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:10 pm

Ok first the bubbling paint, now t wings rusting. Anyone else have that problem with their daiwas being used in salt?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: T Wing rusting

Post by godshippy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:44 pm

I've only used a Tatula in the salt one time and thought the salt might corrode the T-wing; so my Curado MGLs are the only ones that see the saltwater now.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:00 am

For SW a ceramic guide would be better with plastic housing...unless the material is anodized properly.

For SW I would choose a Shimano over Daiwa for resistance to salt, and just deal with the MM gears and bearings.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:00 am

Salty Parrot wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:10 pm
Ok first the bubbling paint, now t wings rusting. Anyone else have that problem with their daiwas being used in salt?
Where did yours rust? My original type r tatula has been 100% saltwater use and it hasn't rusted, it just needs a new gear set.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:59 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:10 pm
If salt is left sitting on it it happens, it’s always been purely surface level cosmetic amounts of rust for me though and it literally wipes off, i’ve never had any deep pitting even on my 2017 steez a that’s been exclusively used in the salt since 2017 and i’ve beat the living crap out of this thing.