18 Bantam MGL PG drag?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

18 Bantam MGL PG drag?

Post by Slazmo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:16 am

Just imported my third 18 Bantam MGL PG into Aus and noticed that it's got a super "hot" drag, best way to describe it as engaged probably at 2 or 3kg pull when fully backed off and about 10kg easy when engaged - drag star is stiff going from backed off to full drag.

Bought it off a reputable eBay seller for $300 AUD in immaculate condition - like new (internally is like new).

Took it to work and disassembled it on my lunch break and found the main drag washer dry, the washer below the main gear and clutch return plate wet like with a lubricant - reel is internally like factory assembled with extremely little to no use.

In turn I lubricated the main drag washer - and flattened the drag star (()) washers a touch to give some better drag star modulation. At the present I can now get full modulation from drag off and still get to full drag with a couple turns of the drag star.

Just wondering has anyone else noticed this drag pressure from factory?