Ygk G-soul Upgrade vs Ss112

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ygk G-soul Upgrade vs Ss112

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm

I’ve been using Sufix 832 on all my rods for the past year mainly because it came in white and a lot of people seemed to like it. It’s been a good braid but it’s not my favorite. Has anyone used both the Ygk g-soul updgrade and the ss112 sinking braid? Which one do you prefer? I’m looking to use it on a dropshot rod and a rod for throwing senkos. Just not sure which one would be better for those applications. Does the sinking braid actually help with slack line sensitivity?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ygk G-soul Upgrade vs Ss112

Post by slipperybob » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:33 pm

I bought both but prefer the G-Soul Upgrade straight up. So that's the one I spooled up for use.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:36 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm
Does the sinking braid actually help with slack line sensitivity?
Yes in my experience. I've been using YGK SS112 for quite a while now and it's my go to bass finesse spinning braid (20# to 10# range). I also like G-Soul upgrade, but in the larger diameters, still not as much as Daiwa Samurai however. I'll continue using YGK SS112 until I find something I like better on my bass spinning gear. It's really good stuff...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:19 pm

I have been using YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 (30#, 40# and 50#) for the past two years. After reading the description and reviews of the SS112 Sinking Braid, I decided to try it on my spinning reels and baitcasters that were using light weight lures in deeper water subsurface presentations. The SS112 did appear to “sink” more rapidly than the G-Soul Upgrade in those presentations.

Both have become my “go to” braids; SS112 Sinking Braid (12#, 14# and 20) for spinning and lighter weight, subsurface baitcaster techniques and G-Soul Upgrade for almost all other uses.

Regards,
Doc

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:36 am

We use Sufix 832 exclusively. I would tell you to remember that Sufix diameters are HUGE. I love the line, but it is always thicker than competitors normally. Not sure about the specific brand you are looking into, heard of YGK, never used it. What I was getting at is that the smaller diameters of equivalent line test might help sinking/slack line sensitivity too.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Thinking of trying out some of these lines and had some questions for people who have had experience. I like throwing topwater on braid, has anyone used the ss112 for topwater? Did you find it negatively effected the action or your ability to work the baits similar to how fluoro does?

What # test are you guys using on baitcasters? Even the 60# g soul upgrade is smaller diameter than any braid I have ever used on a baitcaster. Worried I may run into issues running such a small diameter braid on baitcaster.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 am

I think working top water lures ultimately depends on your tip twitching technique. The typical tip down technique drives the line to subsurface and heavier line weight tend to keep lures more downward on the pop. I'm not using SS112 for top water lures so couldn't say how it works out.

I'm not fishing anything big so the 25# G-Soul Upgrade is the largest line I'm using. I have 15# and 20# Diawa J-Braid on the other reels.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:15 pm

I use 30# YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid with a 15# Sunline Defier Amilo mono leader for topwaters.

My finesse baitcasters and spinning reels are spooled with 16 or 20# YGK SS112 Sinking Braid, which are using weightless/lightly weighted subsurface lures.

Regards,
Doc

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:08 pm

You guys are fishing 25# and 30# ygk upgrade on baitcasters and no issues? That is really small diameter braided line for baitcasters.Very impressive

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:31 pm

I've got 25# G-soul Upgrade spooled on Shimano Bantam MGL mounted on Poison Adrena 6'11 M+ rod.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:02 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:08 pm
You guys are fishing 25# and 30# ygk upgrade on baitcasters and no issues? That is really small diameter braided line for baitcasters.Very impressive
The 30 lb. G-Soul Upgrade is too thin and soft to be fished around rocks, as expected. It is also just too soft and thin to be used on a baitcaster and a stiff rod. I was fishing a swimjig around rocks last night and I would break off after my jig made contact with any rock. I also broke off after making contact with a railroad tie. I love the way the ultra-soft line handles, but it probably should only be used on baitcasters with a leader and baits in the top of the water column. I would go up a size or two from most lines because it is so thin. It is so soft that it is hard to feel a backlash coming. These types of braids can be dangerous.
On the other hand, the SS112 is very durable around the hard stuff because of the Ester core. I have had nothing but good luck with the 10 lb. for finesse fishing. I'm tempted to go up a size or two on the G-Soul Upgrade, but I may try something else. I love FX2 for its durability, but the guide noise wears me out. I am looking for a compromise braid and the G-Soul Upgrade wasn't it. It is too far on the soft and manageable side of the braid spectrum.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm

toddmc wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:02 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
The 30 lb. G-Soul Upgrade is too thin and soft to be fished around rocks, as expected. It is also just too soft and thin to be used on a baitcaster and a stiff rod. I was fishing a swimjig around rocks last night and I would break off after my jig made contact with any rock. I also broke off after making contact with a railroad tie. I love the way the ultra-soft line handles, but it probably should only be used on baitcasters with a leader and baits in the top of the water column. I would go up a size or two from most lines because it is so thin. It is so soft that it is hard to feel a backlash coming. These types of braids can be dangerous.
On the other hand, the SS112 is very durable around the hard stuff because of the Ester core. I have had nothing but good luck with the 10 lb. for finesse fishing. I'm tempted to go up a size or two on the G-Soul Upgrade, but I may try something else. I love FX2 for its durability, but the guide noise wears me out. I am looking for a compromise braid and the G-Soul Upgrade wasn't it. It is too far on the soft and manageable side of the braid spectrum.
I may try some g soul 60# on one of my baitcasters and see how it goes. Otherwise I will probably stick with my j brand grand. Just got some sunline defier braid and its similar to the ss112 may have to throw that ss112 on a different spinning reel so i can compare the two.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Never tried SS112, my go to braid is 16lb upgrade on my spinning reels.

I do have some Sufix 131 6lb that I haven't used yet.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:49 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm
toddmc wrote:
Firstoutfisher wrote:
I may try some g soul 60# on one of my baitcasters and see how it goes. Otherwise I will probably stick with my j brand grand. Just got some sunline defier braid and its similar to the ss112 may have to throw that ss112 on a different spinning reel so i can compare the two.
I bet that the 60 lb. is good for baitcasting. The 30 lb. is a little small and too soft.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:49 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm
toddmc wrote:
Firstoutfisher wrote:
I bet that the 60 lb. is good for baitcasting. The 30 lb. is a little small and too soft.
I use 30, 40, 45 and 50 lb. G-Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid on almost all of my baitcasters, dependent on lure/reel/rod. The 30 lb. YGK has been used without issue for more than two years on every fishing trip, "fun" fishing and tournaments..

Regards,
Doc