Smoothness

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Smoothness

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:27 am

I hear numerous anglers recommending one brand of braided line over another based upon smoothness. I'm concerned with strength, diameter, roundness, suppleness, color, cost and now maybe whether or not it is heavy enough to sink; but smoothness doesn't play any part in my purchase decision.

oe

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Smoothness

Post by steve1206 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 am

For starters....strength won't be an issue with any of them...Make sure you tie a good knot to avoid slippage. Stren sonic braid is the smallest diameter compared to listed weight that I have found (but we all know how much listed weight matters)...They are all gonna bleed color no matter how much you spend. Suppleness tends to come with age. Many people like braid the older it gets. I personally don't like braid with a waxy coating (Spiderwire Stealth etc.). I fish the Stren Sonic Braid....Heard nothing but good things about Suffix & Daiwa Samauri....and Power Pro is an old stand-by...

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 am

Take a look ate Tuf-line braid.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/TUF_Line ... -TLXP.html

It comes in 150yd spools also. Had been using Suffix and tried this. Now use it exclusively due to the money savings. Performs great (IMO) and the 20lb feels like sewing thread.

Your results may vary :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:08 am

Fireline Braid is smoother than Sufix 832 braid. Whiplash is smoother than Fireline Braid.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Samurai works for me
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:24 pm

A good site for comparing a wide range of braids can be found at:

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetesting.htm
http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetestingbuy.htm

The key is to find the best strength to diameter ratio with good durability. It is most unfortunate that some braids break at way above their rated load, while others break close to their rated load. Moreover, the diameters stated on many products are meaningless. The above site enables you to make a choice based on the ACTUAL breaking strength of the braid and its ACTUAL diameter.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun May 01, 2011 1:43 am

Sorry for the poorly written first post. My intended point is smoothness is not an important factor when choosing braided line.

oe

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:25 am

TT did an excellent review on premium superlines....I pulled this from the daiwa samurai part of the shootout..."I will say the latest formulation of this line makes it, by far, the softest, easiest handling braided line I have fished to date."
check it out for yourself...http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpremium ... uppg3.html
stress-what happens between fishing trips

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Some braids zing through the guidelines so much that's it's anoying.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish