Braid to fluorocarbon

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:13 pm

surgeon knots tests "just" below the FG knot for breaking strength...and is 1000% easier to tie.

So, the jury is out on the 'best' knot for tying braid to flouro.
1-2%

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:19 am

I just stick with the the back to back uni knot. Hasnt failed me in 15-16 years, and I can tied it quickly and easily on the water. Surgeon's knot is one I'm trying also for larger mono leaders to think braid. HAs promise and is easy to tie.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:09 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:13 pm
The best knot is the one you yourself can tie reliably ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:09 am
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
That, and "the one you have most confidence in". I lost an 8 pounder at Clear Lake to a surgeons loop, haven't tied it since then. Probably totally unfair to the knot, maybe I should learn how to set the drag ;) But let's be honest, we make these superstitious decisions all the time. My FG reliability went up that remaining 4.5% or so (95 to 99.5%) when I started using the Daiichi Knot Assist. Also makes it easy to tie on the water, no need to lean the rod to create line tension etc. So that's what it is.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 pm
Cal wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
That, and "the one you have most confidence in". I lost an 8 pounder at Clear Lake to a surgeons loop, haven't tied it since then. Probably totally unfair to the knot, maybe I should learn how to set the drag ;) But let's be honest, we make these superstitious decisions all the time. My FG reliability went up that remaining 4.5% or so (95 to 99.5%) when I started using the Daiichi Knot Assist. Also makes it easy to tie on the water, no need to lean the rod to create line tension etc. So that's what it is.
I have been using the uni-uni knot for years. Never had a knot failure, but I find it annnoying with the knot hitting the guides. Have been eyeballing the Daiichi knot assist tool. Do you recommend it?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Cal wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
I have been using the uni-uni knot for years. Never had a knot failure, but I find it annnoying with the knot hitting the guides. Have been eyeballing the Daiichi knot assist tool. Do you recommend it?
I like it and would recommend it, especially if you were tying FG Knots before. I think it helped because I was very used to using that knot, anyway; I don't think it'll change the opinion of anybody who doesn't like FGs.

It just helped me go from "line between my teeth, rod leaning away from me to create line tension while I go cross-eyed making wraps right on front of my face" to "tool in my hands while I tie the knot". The latter is a vast improvement, particularly on the water :)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:18 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Cal wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
I like it and would recommend it, especially if you were tying FG Knots before. I think it helped because I was very used to using that knot, anyway; I don't think it'll change the opinion of anybody who doesn't like FGs.

It just helped me go from "line between my teeth, rod leaning away from me to create line tension while I go cross-eyed making wraps right on front of my face" to "tool in my hands while I tie the knot". The latter is a vast improvement, particularly on the water :)
Thanks! On the the xmas list ;)

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:20 pm

I picked up at "knot assist tool" from alliexpress for $18. It works well for tying the FG.

Plitz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Plitz » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 pm

So nobody is using the GT knot ?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Properly made Uni knot never fails, but it is a little weak point and it can't properly be reeled through guides.

FG knot is stronger knot and it is very slim and it can be reeled through guides. I use currently nearly only FG knot and I use Daiichi FG Knot Assist tool for it. For most thickness I use (FG = 0.49, 0.39 and 0.30) it works good. With 0.30 mm has to be careful that knot goes correctly. Assist tool allows to make FG knot in everywhere and for 0.49 and 0.39 I think could do knot even in total darkness. FG knot tool doesn't make it faster to make knot so I try to make knots ready at home.

Because currently I use FG knots, it allows me to use long leaders, which I like and it is handy in my opinion. For BFS it makes easier to fish in very shallow water because of 0.49 mm FC lifts bait a lot. In BFS fishing I have different thickness leaders with me in a Minigrips bags, short less than 1 m of braid with those, it's different coloured marker than my main line, which helps me seeing where mu lure comes in murky waters. I tie double Uni from braid to braid, and it has never failed and braid to braid double Uni can be reeled in. Different thicknesses of leaders because of if I change from very shallow fishing to bottom contact fishing in deeper place. And because of I use braid at rapids, long FC gives some extra protection against rocks. In BFS I don't use longer FC leader than length of rod, because I don't like to reel it to small spool. In case of seatrout fishing with 34 mm or bigger spools I use that long leaders than I found reasonable extra protection when fishing in rocky places or extra floating in shallow water. Currently I actual like feeling of my properly tied FG lefts from spool trough guides, it makes some strange satisfaction that can do this kind of knot and rely on it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:08 am

Thanks again - did not get it last year...will this year :-)

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 am
Currently I actual like feeling of my properly tied FG lefts from spool trough guides, it makes some strange satisfaction that can do this kind of knot and rely on it.
How long is your leader for your sea trout applications?

When I go longer than 8-9ft (so as to reel the connection knot into the spool) my casts feel squirrely - I think bc of different dia/weight of fluoro to braid in the middle of the cast. With the Twing I do not see a small compact knot like the Alberto/Albright making a big difference - it certainly casts just fine if I leave the knot between reel and stripper guide.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:28 am

My rod's are 9 - 12 feet. Usually I have reeled something ~2 feet of leader to my spool. So I have used 10+ feet leaders. I have tried this only with T-wing reels.

In my OG HLC Zillion has not braid, it's thin nylon in there and there very thick 20 feet m shock leader, tied by surgeons knot.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am

Another vote for the FG…I rarely have to retie it because if I do break off it’s always at the lure/bait end of the leader. I run it through T-Wings, multiple large fish, and weeks without having to retie. What’s not to like?

I’d rather tie a good knot once a week and have confidence in it than tie a sub par knot every other day and be afraid of it every time I set the hook.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:43 am

Midnight is my favorite.