Is it true that US and Japanese line manufacturers have different lb rating system

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it true that US and Japanese line manufacturers have different lb rating system

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Sounds like the same people who manufacture fishing line are the same people who run government :lol:
Fishingelbow wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 am
Manufacturers lie about both line strength and diameter? Holy mackerel! Who's have thunk it? :shock:

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Re: Is it true that US and Japanese line manufacturers have different lb rating system

Post by bobmatsuoka » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:24 am

Japanese line is rated by the highest test lb. In my opinion, sometimes there's difference in their dia system even for the same brand. Japanese braid diameter is sold by PE 1 is 0.165 milimeter, 1.5 is 0.205, 2 is 0.235, and 3 0.285. However, I have used varivas PE 4 for offshore. Avani casting is rated foe 62lb and avani casting SMP for 70. SMP seems to be thicker
In my opinion, US, EU or JP. They will all have more or less the same strenght by diameter. There are no more than half a dozen fiber manufacturer, and even in Japan there's only to 2 factories to weave it for all line brands.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 pm

bobmatsuoka wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:24 am
Japanese line is rated by the highest test lb. In my opinion, sometimes there's difference in their dia system even for the same brand. Japanese braid diameter is sold by PE 1 is 0.165 milimeter, 1.5 is 0.205, 2 is 0.235, and 3 0.285. However, I have used varivas PE 4 for offshore. Avani casting is rated foe 62lb and avani casting SMP for 70. SMP seems to be thicker
In my opinion, US, EU or JP. They will all have more or less the same strenght by diameter. There are no more than half a dozen fiber manufacturer, and even in Japan there's only to 2 factories to weave it for all line brands.
Thank you.