Nanobraid, Gliss opinions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Nanobraid, Gliss opinions

Post by Randingo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 am

I'm curious about what kind of experiences people have had with either of these two products, in particular in spinning applications. How is it better or worse than more traditional braids like 832 or Sunline SX-1? Is it more application specific, and if so, where does it really shine? Thanks.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Nanobraid, Gliss opinions

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 am

Randingo,

I've made several observations regarding Sufix Nanobraid, too, I have fished Berkley Nanofil.

I like Nanofil; I love the Nanobraid.

I am using the 2 lbs. test and it is only one-thousandths of an inch in diameter, said to be 3X as strong as others in its class.

Take a look over on the Ultralight forum for all the details.

*** All I have heard about Gliss is that it works well in some test strengths, but it should be used in open water only as it fails easily if it rubs up against structure.

Brad

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 am

i have been using nanobraid for 2 years now, since it was originally available at cabelas (in 6, 8 and 10lb tests) and used gliss last year (in 18 and 24lb tests).

i have not had any issues with nanobraid, it casts well, is not super loud through the guides, and has been durable for me. as to be expected with its small diameter, it doesn't have very good abrasion resistance, but i usually use a leader anyways. i have used this line for everything from the ned rig to small cranks to drop shots, and for smallies, walleyes, panfish, etc. have no issues with nanobraid, it is spooled up on almost all of my reels. switched over to nanobraid mostly from 832 (a couple reels has power pro super slick) and have not looked back.

gliss started off good, the 18lb green was strong, smooth, cast great, but after a few months of use it turned around. first issue was it started getting very fuzzy and fraying, and after cutting quite a bit off it kept doing it. both 18 and 24lb did this, and it made tying knots difficult, the line almost separated into many many strands. i still have some 24lb pink gliss on one reel, but i dont think it will be there when the season starts. i have a brand new spool of 24lb green hanging on the wall and i will probably use that untill the fraying starts. (and the fraying is not a guide issue, both rods that used that line have torzites, with no problems with the guides)

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Post by Kravetz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:20 am

I like gliss,it is quieter and casts better than braid just not as durable and will start fraying after awhile. I even used some 24lb for light punching last year for a couple of months when I ran out of braid. it worked fine with 1/2 oz tungsten and 2/0 punch hook until my line sawed off over a branch and lost a 5 pounder. Have one spool of 18 left and will probably try it on my drop shot baitcaster.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 am

Just spooled up with 24lb. Gliss for small sq. bills and traps, mostly open water, doing well so far. I was less than impressed with 40lb. for bottom contact, frayed badly.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 am

I have now had Sufix Nanobraid (not to be confused with Berkley Nanofil) on my ultralight Shimano 1000 Ci4+ reel for about 5 or 6 months. I use the 2 lbs. test and the rig is aimed at panfish but you all know how it goes . . . a bass likes a snack now and again. So far, I have landed up to a 4 lbs. large mouth bass on it. I may have had several larger fish, I think once I hooked a bowfin, but what a large fish can do is run to cover and get off. Tiny jig head hooks have straightened out before the line has ever broken.

But, so far, even rather large bass have failed to actually snap the line.

I agree with the comment about the fact that it doesn't excel in abrasive environments, that it can be sawed apart. I had that happen early on. But, I wouldn't be using 2 lbs. braid for that sort of fishing.

Anyway, its tensile strength is just off the wall. I'll likely spool it on a 2500 or a 3000 Shimano reel for targeting bass directly. I believe it is available all the way up to 14 lbs. test.

At 2 lbs. and .001" in diameter, I fish this tiny line direct to the lure and I can't imagine a fish being able to see it very well. On the larger tests, I'd likely use a fluorocarbon Invizx leader at 6 or 8 lbs. test.

Brad

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am

Aside from the weak abrasion resistance, do these hybrids produce wind-knots?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Reverendo wrote:Aside from the weak abrasion resistance, do these hybrids produce wind-knots?
Yes, on a spinning reel, the 10# Gliss consistently formed wind knots. No problems with it on casting gear, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Reverendo wrote:Aside from the weak abrasion resistance, do these hybrids produce wind-knots?
Havent had any wind knots in the 2 years Ive used Nanobraid.

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 pm

+1 on the nanobraid. I use the 2lb on my UL spinning setups and it does great. I do run Sniper 3lb leader on it though so abrasion is a non issue.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 am

I tried gliss. I liked it. Casted well and was smooth, but as others stated abrasion resistance isn’t there. I came in second tourney due to my line snapping fighting a fish. It really did work great for buzz baits, but I don’t think I will ever trust it again.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 pm

I have been using Gliss almost exclusively for the last several winter smallmouth seasons. It is absolutely true that it has poor abrasion resistance so the use of a leader is mandatory. I normally use 24 lb with a 10 lb sniper leader about 7 feet long secured with a FG knot. Even though the line has poor abrasion resistance I have not had any significant issues using this combination, and the lines attributes far out way the potential problems. The only real issue I continue to have is the line is so small in diameter that it will dig in to the spool on a bait casting reel if pressure is applied such as really big smallmouth or removing a snagged bait.
To mitigate this one must always remember to manually pull out some line before reeling in from a freed snag, or remember to expect the line to dig during a cast after a big fish.I usually make a half hearted cast after landing a fish over say 3 pounds because I know the line flow will probably stop at the same distance I set the hook on the fish, then pull out the dig, reel in and make a real cast or pitch.

For me the positives out weigh these negatives and I've enjoyed using Gliss and now find using any other line akin to using well rope, because the diameter of Gliss is so small, and it otherwise handles so well in my application. As far as fraying is concerned I have had no problems with this probably because I change it out fairly often. Since it is so small I can fill a shallow spool use it a while, flip it over by unspooling onto an empty line container twice, respool and now I'm using the end that started out on the arbor. Once I've worn that down I can strip the worn end of the line off and still have enough to effectively fish until that is worn. At that point I'm done with that line and will strip it back off for good. I save most of the used line to use as thread to tie skirts on jigs with.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 am

^ Great input, thanks.
I have Gliss on my Aldebaran with avail spool. I fish in areas with little rock and havent had many abrasion related issues. I do experience dig-ins after snags/big fish and also use the half-hearted cast approach. I do find that the line becomes quite twisted (right word?) on the spool when using inline spinners, so I mostly use reels with thin braid. However, it mainly bothers me to look at the twisted line and it has not not been a big issue when fishing.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am

daiwafan wrote:I have been using Gliss almost exclusively for the last several winter smallmouth seasons. It is absolutely true that it has poor abrasion resistance so the use of a leader is mandatory. I normally use 24 lb with a 10 lb sniper leader about 7 feet long secured with a FG knot. Even though the line has poor abrasion resistance I have not had any significant issues using this combination, and the lines attributes far out way the potential problems. The only real issue I continue to have is the line is so small in diameter that it will dig in to the spool on a bait casting reel if pressure is applied such as really big smallmouth or removing a snagged bait.
To mitigate this one must always remember to manually pull out some line before reeling in from a freed snag, or remember to expect the line to dig during a cast after a big fish.I usually make a half hearted cast after landing a fish over say 3 pounds because I know the line flow will probably stop at the same distance I set the hook on the fish, then pull out the dig, reel in and make a real cast or pitch.

For me the positives out weigh these negatives and I've enjoyed using Gliss and now find using any other line akin to using well rope, because the diameter of Gliss is so small, and it otherwise handles so well in my application. As far as fraying is concerned I have had no problems with this probably because I change it out fairly often. Since it is so small I can fill a shallow spool use it a while, flip it over by unspooling onto an empty line container twice, respool and now I'm using the end that started out on the arbor. Once I've worn that down I can strip the worn end of the line off and still have enough to effectively fish until that is worn. At that point I'm done with that line and will strip it back off for good. I save most of the used line to use as thread to tie skirts on jigs with.
Let me add that you can not use a uni knot with Gliss to connect to the leader line. The double line uni knot broke at 8 and 9 lbs in 24 lb Gliss while the FG knot breaks at 20lb+. Bimini is near 100% with Gliss also. Also if you are casting from shore and is snagged on the bottom. There is a good chance you might have line breakage that occurs somewhere from your reel to the snagged bottom unless your leader line is less than 20 lbs breaking strength. FG knot is high 90% in this line and that can mean breaking the line in the middle since no line is 100% consistent along the entire casting length. You will have 10% variation and that's bad news if your knot is 95% tied at the 100% strong section.