BFS and PowerPro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS and PowerPro

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Well, I can conclusively say the 8# PP casts better than the 15# on my reel. With all the rain the rivers and streams are running chocolate milk, so I went down to a bridge where I was casting the other day. My first wrist-flick cast with a 1/8 oz spoon landed in the trees on the other side. Wow! Just a joy to cast and I'm loving this BFS fishin'!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Glad to hear you are happy with the 8#, I think braid that size is the ideal BFS line. I have used lots of differing lines over the years but 8# power pro is my go to.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 am

I just need to pick the collective BFS brain-tank again. [-o<

I recently eased my hand into the dark shadow of BFS, and now, my arm just got tore off! :crying:

I just ordered an Alphas Air Stream Custom. :doh:

Anyway, the target is stream trout with a short jungle-combat rod.....should I just stick to the Power Pro 8# that works so well in my Conquest BFS?

I notice a lot of "High Visibility" lines in this BFS genre, and I understand and use high vis for "line watching" with bottom contact lures in more stained waters. Is the high visibility line helpful with these ultra-thin lines when casting lures for trout? Does it help you visually guide the lure into fish holding areas and out of trouble? What's up with the high-vis lines on trout streams?
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:27 am

What is the diameter of your 8lb PowerPro?
I ask because line ratings are dissimilar in USA and EU.

I would say yes, no problem, if your line is around 0.12 mm.
I use black 0.12 mm on one ASC and lime green hi-vis 0.10 mm on my other ASC.

When going ultra-thin line with small and very light lures, hi-vis lines help a wee bit in seeing what you are doing and where the lure is going when casting.
I have not convincingly experienced that hi-vis lines deter fish from biting, and thus run straight braid. Still, I prefer black/moss green low-vis lines in 0.12 - pure habit, I guess.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Smalleyez wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 am
I just need to pick the collective BFS brain-tank again. [-o<

I recently eased my hand into the dark shadow of BFS, and now, my arm just got tore off! :crying:

I just ordered an Alphas Air Stream Custom. :doh:

Anyway, the target is stream trout with a short jungle-combat rod.....should I just stick to the Power Pro 8# that works so well in my Conquest BFS?

I notice a lot of "High Visibility" lines in this BFS genre, and I understand and use high vis for "line watching" with bottom contact lures in more stained waters. Is the high visibility line helpful with these ultra-thin lines when casting lures for trout? Does it help you visually guide the lure into fish holding areas and out of trouble? What's up with the high-vis lines on trout streams?
For me it doesn’t help but my eyes are crap, I personally just keep eyes on the lure. I also use a fluoro leader so I just use what ever braid that matches my reel best 😜

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Personally, I think it's all about your preference. Is 8lb line good enough for YOUR needs? Here is my experience.

I don't like breaking off my main line to snags, so I always make it a point that my main line would always have a higher rating than my leader so only the leader would break off. I started using 10lb S8S PP (lowest S8S PP rating at the time) with a 6lb fluoro leader on a CU70 with a shallow spool. Then I was able to get an ALD BFS, and with this I got the 8lb S8S PP (the 2nd version came out with 8lbs) and tried a 2lb leader. This didn't work out, as the 2lb leader broke off a lot. At 2 lbs, you'd need to tie on a new one probably after every hook up or after around 10 casts. A tiny nick on the line would cause it to break right away if it got hung up or if a fish bites. I was able to settle on 8lb main line with 4lb leader. A few months after, I acquired a 16ALD15R spool. And boy, can this reel cast. I'm able to throw lures to up to a little under 1g. Some 2lb Nanofil (maybe 40 yds) came with the spool and when I tried this line, it increased my casting distance even farther. The distance was quite noticeable when casting light lures.

I used the 2lb Nanofil along with the 4lb leader. I was very happy with the casting distance until my lure got snagged. I was hoping the braid would somehow be stronger than my leader. I pulled until it broke and the main line lost. So I went back to my 8lb/4lb set up.

Since I don't want to go down to a 2lb leader, I've decided to go with 3lbs (which I still need to find a good one) and then probably use 3 or 4lb Nanofil (haven't decided yet).

Nanofil is crazy thin and you can cast those 1-2g lures really way out.

I hope this helped

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am

Thank you, and that definitely helps my understanding of BFS and potentially good lines to try. I do have Nanofil on one of my ultralight spinning reels and it's works well and casts so easily.

Dalleinf, my 8# Power Pro is listed at .013mm.

I'll prolly fill my Air Stream Custom with Power Pro 8# and go from there. With my limited knowledge Power Pro 8# is my 'base'line.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 am

I just post a question regarding PP#8 and Sufix 832 also #8. The PP#8 equivalents to 1lb mono while #8 Sufix ~ 3lb mono. To me, it seems like PP float and drag more in water, plus the bite I feel not as crisp as Sufix. Any ideas? Now on my Alphas air I went back to 18lb Gliss line (the rest of the spool), which seems smaller than PP.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am
Thank you, and that definitely helps my understanding of BFS and potentially good lines to try. I do have Nanofil on one of my ultralight spinning reels and it's works well and casts so easily.

I'll prolly fill my Air Stream Custom with Power Pro 8# and go from there. With my limited knowledge Power Pro 8# is my 'base'line.
Smalleyez, how did you find the #8 Power Pro on the Daiwa ASC? I have been searching for “new” lines for my BFS reels. Previously, I have been using 0.12 Sufix Matrix Pro, which I bought in bulk at low price. These days, powerpro #8 (0.13 mm) is cheaper and I consider using that line if I can get enough line on the spool :-)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am

Noisy PowerPro sounds horrible in BFS reel. I use SpiderWire Stealth Smooth 8.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:14 am

I was thinking the same thing about noise and PP. I have grown to find line noise very unpleasant. It gets worse on more sensitive and lightweight rods/reels for me. Gliss, YKG Gsoul and even slick8 have been my choices for non-fluoro on BFS. I like the silence and smoothness.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks guys. I do not the mind the noise that much. More concerned with how many meters of line I can get on the spool (of line with decent break strain for big sea run brown trout).. Four strand braid performs ok on bfs reels IMO. It does fine with abrasion resistance and less dig, but it does make some noise...

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:48 am

Maybe since you are fishing on rivers with moving water that has a background noise, a little vibration and line noise is not noticeable. At first I used PP since it is a great line that widely available, cost effective and works very well. I accidentally started using "quite" braids and then suddenly, "noisy" braids became unpleasant. I fish silent, clear lakes, so any sound can be noticed.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:45 am

In roughness fishing PP is fine :D . For finesse I prefer smoother braids.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 am
Smalleyez wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am

Smalleyez, how did you find the #8 Power Pro on the Daiwa ASC? I have been searching for “new” lines for my BFS reels. Previously, I have been using 0.12 Sufix Matrix Pro, which I bought in bulk at low price. These days, powerpro #8 (0.13 mm) is cheaper and I consider using that line if I can get enough line on the spool :-)
I'm like Mongo, and I'm a pawn in the game of BFS life. :) That said, I like how the 8# PP cast on my ASC. Keep in mind I'm using it to fish jungle-like creeks in western Wisconsin for big brown trout, so it's not really a finesse situation. Castability and strength are what I'm after.

I have the same line on my Conquest BFS and it casts well. That setup is less for jungle combat and more for finesse and open river waters. Now you guys have me thinking about trying a different line on IT! :-s Just when you think you have things figured out...
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)