Line recommendation for topwater/jerkbait combo

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Line recommendation for topwater/jerkbait combo

Post by Senkobass1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:44 pm

For topwater, Sunline defier is hard to beat. Almost no stretch and still floats. Tried braid on my walking baits and hated the trebles getting stuck on the line. Didn’t like the idea I had an extra connection knot either. I will note that the only time I use defier is for topwaters.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:29 pm

Any other thoughts on this? I usually have two jerkbait rods setup. One of them I plan to use for poppers in the morning...so thinking about running 30lb 131 braid to mono leader, and then the other jb rod running straight 12lb tatsu. Thoughts?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:34 am

Freshly spooled 131 line seems to like to float on the surface of water. Well it's 20# I am using. I like it for topwater.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:24 pm

On my ML casting rod I am running 20# Smackdown to a 6# Hybrid or 8/10# fluoro leader depending on technique. In cooler water when I am not using any smaller topwaters (sub-1/2oz), I use 8lb R18 as a mainline for jerkbaits and finesse cranking.
Andy

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:50 pm

I've run 8lb Sniper on my medium jerkbait spinning rod for many years. It does great in the open water I usually fish every prespawn.