IGFA rated lines

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

IGFA rated lines

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:53 am

Are there any fishing lines that are approved by the IGFA for their reported strengths?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: IGFA rated lines

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:19 am

Ande has always been IGFA rated. Momoi also makes rated lines.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 am

Also, there is no line that is verified by the IGFA as meeting their requirements. The line is verified after the catch as part of the record qualification process, as it has always been.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 am
Also, there is no line that is verified by the IGFA as meeting their requirements. The line is verified after the catch as part of the record qualification process, as it has always been.
Are any lines closer to their actual pound test rating than others?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:54 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Are any lines closer to their actual pound test rating than others?
Japanese lines tend to break right at their stated # test. The 2 lines I mentioned earlier are both manufactured within the spec's. of IGFA for each # test listed, which is why they state "IGFA rated".

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Correct but as a member you can submit a line sample to have it tested for compliance before fishing for a record. You still would have to submit a sample as part of a record application.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 pm

dhottle wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:55 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Correct but as a member you can submit a line sample to have it tested for compliance before fishing for a record. You still would have to submit a sample as part of a record application.
Thanks for reminding me about that, Dwight. I had forgotten. I let my membership lapse years ago.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:20 am

Stren Original mono should break at it's labeled strength. They advertise it as boating a world record Marlin....... perhaps a line class record?

Sufix used to have an IGFa line that looked good in some test reports. I think it was called Key Lime... something?

Stren Super knot, or whatever the latest rendition, should be close to IGFA, maybe just a hair over.

And as someone mentioned above, Ande has one.

I know there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 am

The Maxima starts at 50lbs. I probably won't be using that for bass this week!

Nice to see you still posting Bronzeye

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm

I should have checked Maxima's current offerings in that line! I have spools of its Tournament Silver IGFA line in 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 lb. test from yesteryear, so I recklessly assumed that it was still offered over a broad range of popular strengths.