Braided line tests

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braided line tests

Post by CheezusCrust » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am

Some interesting stuff I think you guys should know.

I bought some sunline siglon pe8 in 16 lbs test and tested the breaking point.I did a single san diego jam knot and it broke at around 4-5 lbs.Then I did a double san diego jam knot that means I doubled the line and tied the knot like you normaly would.And it broke at around 14 lbs test.So that GREATLY improved the breaking point of the line.But the line is so thin it breaks very easily.

So I spooled up some 15 lbs power pro I had used once last year.It's basicaly brand new.I tied a single SDJ knot and it broke at 10 lbs.Then I doubled the line and went around the hooks eyelet TWICE.I put a thick wool sock around my hand and pulled hard.The scale was reading 21 lbs and the line was still holding up despite being 6 lbs over it's suggested breaking point.I find that very interesting.I always thought power pro broke under the suggested poundage the manufacturer put on the box.But like many other braided lines I think you need to double the line and go around the hook's eyelet twice otherwise the line will cut into itself being so thin and break.Another thing,I was watching videos on YT of guys testing different braided lines and they all were tyìng single knots.I'm sure the results would have been different if they doubled the line like I did.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braided line tests

Post by slipperybob » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:29 pm

There is a difference between a line break and a knot break. No matter what line test a person uses, even if the line is wrapped a round cylinder, there is a flattening of the line that which could influence the break point of the line as well.

For myself, I use it on tackle hardware of which I know that I am going to fish with and use the type of knots that I plan on tying. I give it a crude fish scale test and see how the line breaks and when it breaks. There is a feel, that when the braid is either slipping and cutting at the knot and there is a feel where the braid lines are about to break too. If pulling with a moderate speed, one may not feel that. If pulling really slow, sometimes you feel and will be able to tell if the line is about to give. In addition to examining a line break, one should ought to see multiple stress points throughout the line after the break. Most often fluorocarbon lines yields this type of results. So once you snag the line and pull it to the point where the line breaks, often means that there is very high probability the the line will break anywhere from the end of the line all the way to where the spooled line is. Way too often when my braid line snags and I go to wrap it around a stick, seems like half the time the braid line breaks on my wrapping instead of somewhere else like my knot on the hook. Now there's probably 30 yards or 30 feet of braid dancing in the water currents.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 pm

Slipperybob, have you ever tried wrapping your line around your arm instead of a stick? Of course, you'd better have a shirt sleeve of some kind on your arm, but I've found I could break braid up to #30 test without injury. I'm sure I could go higher with adequate covering. Never had the line break at my arm (yet); I suspect the much larger diameter is the key here.
Never moon a werewolf!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:19 pm

I was doing housekeeping a while ago and needed to figured out what pound test braid each of my reels was spooled with. So I put a strong loop on the loose end of a spool of factory line and pulled it with a fish scale. Main line always broke way below the advertised strength for me (not at the knot, mid-line). 40lbs broke around 25, 30lbs broke around 17. I don't worry too much about it because both are way above my drag settings, but it's interesting.

This was PowerPro Maxcuatro, I didn't test other lines. Should go back and try...

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:30 am

Stated breaking strains are all over the place. It's best to buy by diameter, though they're often pretty misleading too, but if you can see the line you will get a good idea of it's actual diameter. I expect most premium braids break at a similar point for the same diameters, but the stated test strength will have you pulling your hair out! 4 strands are typically more robust for abrasion, 8 strands generally cast a bit better and are quieter through the guides.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:30 am
Stated breaking strains are all over the place. It's best to buy by diameter, though they're often pretty misleading too, but if you can see the line you will get a good idea of it's actual diameter. I expect most premium braids break at a similar point for the same diameters, but the stated test strength will have you pulling your hair out! 4 strands are typically more robust for abrasion, 8 strands generally cast a bit better and are quieter through the guides.
I agree with diameter and breaking strains.
I have heard many say better casting distance with 8-strand vs 4-strand, and have had same impression, but have seen several casting tests show otherwise including this:
https://youtu.be/uTph2Bq04L8
“Generally” may still hold true…

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 am

Interesting video. I wonder whether the braid diameters were similar or whether they were just the same quoted breaking strain. That's the only variable not addressed in the video.