Is there that much "junk" line making it to shelves?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is there that much "junk" line making it to shelves?

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:50 am

Ahh, the old mysterious breakoff issue. Yeah it's a problem sometimes. Some lines are weaker than others, people don't choose based on diameter like they should, and knot strength can vary widely.......... knot tying is an art.

Another issue you may never have heard of......... mono and fluro lines can be weakened by tight bends created by tying the knot. Additionally, baitcasters can be line wreckers....... when you get a birds-nest, those kinks in the line can weaken some line severely........ when you cast a plug and it breaks in midair and sails off into the distance.......it can usually be traced back to a kink in the line created by your last birdsnest. As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story".

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 pm

2 things can be true at once.
1) There is a lot of very shitty line on the market.
2) And the vast majority of line issues are related to user error. :big grin:

Line is the most important connection between us and the fish, and I feel its one of the lesser points of focus for a lot of guys.

I've noticed that if guys have poor performance with 1 type of line with 1 type of rating, they berate the entire brand and model.
But a lot of guys don't get that there's a difference in performance between say 8lb & 12lb floroclear. Some Models certain rating are excellent while others are trash.

If people put the same thought into line choices as they did Lure choices, There'd be a lot less line stuck in my trolling motor prop every trip :shock:

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:47 pm

I definitely think it's a combination between user error and everybody thinking they can make good line. They're definitely lines that are better than others. gozen 16 for instance will just be the absolute best line ever but somebody will still use it for the wrong application or not spool it correctly and blame it on the line itself. I know a lot of my buddies here throw straight braid with no leaders and wonder why they lose fish when fishing around wood. They're losing when that braid saws into Wood causing slack. People don't understand all the factors and think one the line can generally be good for everything.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:35 pm

User error or equipment choice? :big grin: Most of all, I stop snapping my rod so hard like I'm going for a Guinness personal Record.

There is a lot of small nuances that effects everything and I'll say that it has more effects on that of the spinning reel vs casting reel set ups. Spinning reels deals with more line slap. There's a roller line guide that which often only has a bushing and it's sometimes just some plastic thing with the metal roller just over it. Gosh I sure love having titanium nitride spool lips, they were awesome. And the ever continuous line coil twist effect on spinning reels that one day you get that snarly line twist the sticks out from the spool. That has something to do with just the line lay on the spool that comes with repeated use. Then just the line management on the spool and how the line is compressed and released through use. Line memory through compression deformity and pinches will work it's way.

Why casting reels just makes for horrible slip bobbering set up...oh yeah that little bobber stop line. Just something about the slack line and winching it. There's something about getting comfy and not bothering to feather or thumb down the line onto the spool. That slightly loose line loop has a way of working itself more loose and then bird nest on the cast.

I kind of always liked conventional non-disengaging levelwind line guides. It keeps the line and line guide in sync. Seems like I have the best line life with these. However, always a hassle when it involves removing the spool to go do some bearing cleaning.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:08 pm

G40 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 pm
But a lot of guys don't get that there's a difference in performance between say 8lb & 12lb floroclear. Some Models certain rating are excellent while others are trash.
100% agree with this. Every blend has a sweet spot.
PEACE

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:36 pm

As far as junk line goes, I got some YKG G-Soul Upgrade Braid Fishing Line PE x8 #1 22lb and also the 50lb. I did some benck break strength tests and find the 22lbs breaks at about 10lbs and the 50lb breaks at about 15lbs! For a comparison I checked some Superslick 8 rated 15lb and it breaks at 18lbs. During all the testing the lines broke in the line, not at the knots.

I know JDM lines are rated lower than USDM, but this seems ridiculous to me. The YKG is really thin, but I doubt I will ever use it since I now have lost confidence in it.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 am

amso4 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:36 pm
As far as junk line goes, I got some YKG G-Soul Upgrade Braid Fishing Line PE x8 #1 22lb and also the 50lb. I did some benck break strength tests and find the 22lbs breaks at about 10lbs and the 50lb breaks at about 15lbs! For a comparison I checked some Superslick 8 rated 15lb and it breaks at 18lbs. During all the testing the lines broke in the line, not at the knots.

I know JDM lines are rated lower than USDM, but this seems ridiculous to me. The YKG is really thin, but I doubt I will ever use it since I now have lost confidence in it.
There are plenty of fake line out there of this exact model. The original which is coming from YKG is really good, but the fakes break very easily. I'm in EU and even good shops got some fake ones and ordering from east is also hit and miss.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am

zalan wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 am
amso4 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:36 pm

There are plenty of fake line out there of this exact model. The original which is coming from YKG is really good, but the fakes break very easily. I'm in EU and even good shops got some fake ones and ordering from east is also hit and miss.
I think you are right. I got one spool from eBay and the other from Roro with a spool order. Based on your comments and other posting here about the good line strength, I must have gotten ripped off. At least that explains the discrepancies in my data and others.

Thanks. Live and learn.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm

uljersey wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 am
fluorocarbon line is one of the most over hyped/overrated things in fishing. Let me elaborate - it has it's place in certain applications BUT the way some people act as if catching a fish on anything besides it is almost an impossibility is laughable. We fishermen can be lemmings the way we take 'information' as gospel without really questioning why or God forbid striking out and finding what works for you and your style of fishing through trial and error. Kudos to the marketing segment of the line manufacturers, they hit it out of the park on that one.
This is a lot of it. Miseducated fishermen using way too much fluoro. With this line you really have to have your knot down perfect, and with any little birdsnest you run the risk of a kinked line and a weak spot. I've seen way more breakoffs with fluoro than anything else. I use it when I must for its advantages, but that's probably on 15% of my reels.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm

I had 1 bad batch of original PowerPro that would constantly break on a cast...didn't matter what it was. It would just snap in the middle of the line and send my lure flying...I lost maybe 5 lures before I stopped using it.

I also had 1 bad batch of Sufix Elite and even though I had prior success with it--that one bad batch made me stop using it for a few years. It would just break off all the time no matter what I did and when I switched to Maxima Ultragreen with the same setup I never had an issue.

I checked my guides with a q-tip and all that stuff...I just happened to get 2 bad spools out of the 100 or so that I've had.