Is there that much "junk" line making it to shelves?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Is there that much "junk" line making it to shelves?

Post by Riverguy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Its always been amazing to me how line reviews can be so polarizing. Guess Im fortunate, but I just dont manage to find all these spools of line w/all these phantom break offs...(Using appropriate diameters that are in good condition of course).

Ive had legit issues w/Vanish and Nanofil- which both are supported by many others, so I get it... And maybe once some really old yozuri hybrid that had been on a friends reel for a few yrs. Different lines certainly have different characteristics....But beyond that- for years seemingly when reading reviews online - I just dont understand how folks are getting all these lemon spools from reputable companies... No way theres THAT much 17lb suffix mono or 50lb PP / Fireline braid , etc that "has break off issues"... ? Heck I've trusted any of the random Chinese manufactured amazon braids to get my lead down in current for Blue cats approaching 100lbs+ for a few seasons...zero failures. I just dont get it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is there that much "junk" line making it to shelves?

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Most problems are because people choose the wrong line for their application, they don’t treat their equipment properly, or they don’t comprehend where the failure is coming from. There are definitely better lines for certain applications. Unfortunately, human nature is to place the blame elsewhere.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 am

Poor knot selection or tying ability can also contribute a lot to unexpected breakages, and some lines are more susceptible to poor knots than others.

I used to use exclusively mono (Maxima Chameleon), and almost exclusively the standard fisherman's knot. Once I started upgrading my own personal gear versus just using what my dad and I have always used, I switched to braid mainline and fluoro for leaders. With that switch, I also changed up which knots I use, because I wanted to make sure and use an appropriate knot for the new lines I was using. I'm still slower at rigging up than I was before, but my number of break-offs have significantly reduced now that I'm paying special attention to how I tie my knots, and which knots I'm using, even though I'm still using 6# test for my leaders.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:47 am

Let me guess...the trusted palomar knot. nuff said. :mrgreen:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:03 am

Palomar knot for my initial braid to swivel and swivel to fluoro leader knots (I'll tie the fluoro to the swivel first, then tie the swivel to the braid, pulling the leader through the knot with the swivel). Trilene knot if I need to tie a new leader on once it has gotten too short, because I can't tie a palomar with the swivel still connected to the braid mainline. Non-slip loop knot for leader to jig, palomar for leader to a clip for spoons/cranks, and a dropshot knot if I'm dropshotting. All different than what I was used to with the standard fisherman's knot, but they've served me well and I've had way fewer breaks.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:13 am

i used to have breakoff issues with fc, and i started looking for new knots. i'm using a eugene slip knot, and it's super easy to tie. around the same time, i watched the aaron martens video on inserting weights with shrink tubing, so i decided that couldn't possibly hurt. i can't tell you the last time i've broke off on a hookset. just doesn't happen anymore. i use a clinch knot on spinnerbaits & cranks and have never had weird breakage issues, which leads me to believe the insert was more important than the knot in solving the problem.

i held out on tatsu forever, but finally gave in a few moths ago. i got a new spinning outfit, so i thought i might as well try it to see if it was really the greatest thing ever. i don't think it's bad line, but i don't think it's great either. i've got i8# on a kage lt 2500, and also on a tat sv with a shallow spool. i use sunline assassin (although bigger sizes) for everything else, and i like it as well if not better. who knows....maybe i got a bad spool of tatsu?? :D

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:46 am

Riverguy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm
Its always been amazing to me how line reviews can be so polarizing. Guess Im fortunate, but I just dont manage to find all these spools of line w/all these phantom break offs...(Using appropriate diameters that are in good condition of course).

Ive had legit issues Nanofil- I just dont get it.
toddmc wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Most problems are because people choose the wrong line for their application, they don’t treat their equipment properly, or they don’t comprehend where the failure is coming from. There are definitely better lines for certain applications. Unfortunately, human nature is to place the blame elsewhere.
edwelch1 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 am
Poor knot selection or tying ability can also contribute a lot to unexpected breakages, and some lines are more susceptible to poor knots than others.
I also changed up which knots I use, because I wanted to make sure and use an appropriate knot for the new lines I was using.
slipperybob wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:47 am
I snipped the comments for my reply.

Im one person that feels this way about Nanofil. I found a knot that increases strength by 50% over the recommended double palomar. To me this is the wrong knot for the line. When using light line, 4-8 pounds, knot strength becomes a bigger issue and the palomar isnt the best knot out there for this line. Other knots can give you 20+ percent more strength which is crucial for light line. Also I feel many people think this line is a braid and use it as such but its a finesse line more so than what a braid is.
So when I read of issues with Nanofil to me its the operator using wrong knot for the line and for wrong purpose.
Ive used it since it came out have tried other lines since but come back to Nanofil in fact just bought a 1500yd spool at a good price. If the line gave me issues I wouldnt be purchasing/using it any longer.

For the general topic. Yes too many times "you just got a bad spool" is where the blame is placed. Nearly every thread about a line issue leads to bad spool. Also certain users you see having issues with multiple lines and brands but cant fathom the idea that it might just be them thats the issue -jimmiejoe- at bassresource.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 am

This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, which is nothing. Not looking to agitate anyone, don't take it personally. I think fluorocarbon line is one of the most over hyped/overrated things in fishing. Let me elaborate - it has it's place in certain applications BUT the way some people act as if catching a fish on anything besides it is almost an impossibility is laughable. We fishermen can be lemmings the way we take 'information' as gospel without really questioning why or God forbid striking out and finding what works for you and your style of fishing through trial and error. Kudos to the marketing segment of the line manufacturers, they hit it out of the park on that one.

Fluoro coupled with the overly dramatic "Thor HellHammer Of The Gods Hookset" can only lead to heartache and despair :lol:

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:49 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:46 am

Im one person that feels this way about Nanofil. I found a knot that increases strength by 50% over the recommended double palomar.
What knot is that, please?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:56 pm

You know how with a palomar knot you fold the line over about a foot or so, start there. Then tie a FishNfool knot with 5-6 turns.

6 pound Nanofill will hold to 9 pounds and 8 pound Nanofil to 12 pound knot strength.

The recommended knot lets go right at its rating.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks! I'll try that knot.

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:10 pm

edwelch1 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 am

I used to use exclusively mono (Maxima Chameleon), and almost exclusively the standard fisherman's knot. Once I started upgrading my own personal gear versus just using what my dad and I have always used, I switched to braid mainline and fluoro for leaders. With that switch, I also changed up which knots I use, because I wanted to make sure and use an appropriate knot for the new lines I was using. I'm still slower at rigging up than I was before, but my number of break-offs have significantly reduced now that I'm paying special attention to how I tie my knots, and which knots I'm using, even though I'm still using 6# test for my leaders.
This is so true. Everyone's dad teaches them what there Dad taught them. And I've legitimately seen the hurt, anger, and even rage the few times I've straight tried to help someone. With the exception of my Facebook groups and friends I tend not to recommend things to people. I feel like if they want to know they have the tools to find these things out.

I have no time in my life for drama and wish to make friends not enemies. That being said if I see someone is in dire need and I see problem after problem I'll offer advice, but other than that it's the same as talking religion and politics. People get set in there ways. I also have no time for break offs and knots which is why I'm now testing every single knot and I'm also doing line testing and rating for a group on Facebook.

I'm the knot man. I know my line. But if someone knows something better I'll usually test and research it then adopt it in field.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:47 am

In over 40 years of fishing I've had one line issue. It was a 300 yard spool of Power pro that had a 10" fuzzy/knotted area about 100 yds into the spool. I took a photo, and sent it to Cabela's, they sent me a new spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:47 am
I learned that the hard way. Seems like a simple knot, but will likely break if its not cinched down correctly.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:45 pm

User error. Line advancements keep getting better and better. Some people are stuck in their ways, and don't respond well to change. I only fish fluorocarbon with the exception of Sunline Defier. I feel more at ease trying new lines, more now than ever.