Fireline Ultra on BCs?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fireline Ultra on BCs?

Post by Drakestar » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 am

I'm thinking about ways to get max casting distance out of my P5 I.C.B.M. + Steez A TW HLC combo. I've been running 30lbs Maxcuatro + 16lbs leader on it to bomb giant jerkbaits (Megabass Kanata) and heavy tubes and it's been working well, but my mainline broke a couple days ago and I need to respool anyway. I'm considering giving Fireline Ultra a go instead. Does anybody have good/bad experiences with that line on a baitcasting setup? I've found a good amount of info on it for spinning reels, wondering if it makes sense as a BC mainline to get extra casting distance.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fireline Ultra on BCs?

Post by rando » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:29 am

I had fireline ultra on scorpion mgl and I did not like. I like it on spinning reels because it is “wiry” but it is also the exact reason why I don’t like it on casting reels.
Generally I like stiffer braids on spinning reels and limper braids on casting reels. I seem to get the most distance with my casting reels with Berkeley x9.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:35 am

I use fireline ultra 8 on at least a dozen casting reels from 8# for trout to 30# for salmon. Great line and I have never had any problems with it. Yes it is extremely wiry at first but softens after extended use. I need to see the line for most presentations and the Crystal is very easy to see.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Mon May 31, 2021 2:02 pm

I run it on my bfs reels. I take it out and cast it in a pond with a heavier plug until it calms down and softens up, before I take it out fishing.

Right now, it’s my favorite braid on my bfs reels.