What are co-polymer and multi-polymer fishing lines?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
pez
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

What are co-polymer and multi-polymer fishing lines?

Post by pez » Sun May 30, 2021 10:59 pm

Hi, I'm looking to find any information on the specifics of co-polymer and multi-polymer fishing lines. I'm doing research into monofilament lines for a high school assessment and would greatly appreciate any information on the types of nylon used in these lines. Even just to be pointed in the right direction would be great. Thanks heaps!
Pez

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are co-polymer and multi-polymer fishing lines?

Post by Cal » Mon May 31, 2021 6:28 am

By definition, co-polymer and multi-polymer lines are composed of more than one material. Some are delineated as a blend of nylon and fluorocarbon, others are given the label with no specification of what is in their makeup. Some go back and forth in labelling between co-polymer and nylon monofilament. Unfortunately, I don't believe any manufacturer goes into the specifics of what nylon or fluorocarbon they are using but I wish you luck in your research!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ParDeus
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ParDeus » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:48 am

If you want a more in-depth breakdown, reach out to Wetekam Monofilaments in Newport TN. Tell them you're doing a report for HS, and they oughta put you in touch with someone from engineering.

pez
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by pez » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:41 am

Thanks heaps!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:20 am

Most monofilament lines these days are not straight nylon - they are a soupmix of ingredients. For example, an abrasion resistant line may have an additive to reduce friction.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 am

I may be mistaken but Silver Thread was the first advertised co-polymer fishing line. Prior to that, line companies would use the term nylon BUT the word “Nylon” was a registered name like Xerox.
I think people can get confused by marketing jargon and spiel. I think monofilament was introduced as an advancement to the previous braided lines that would rot, fray, fuzz out, wear and fail, generally when your personal best fish was on the other end.