Why do people fish such heavy breaking strain lines when targeting bass?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ThomasW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Why do people fish such heavy breaking strain lines when targeting bass?

Post by ThomasW » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Just a general question regarding bass fishing. Why do people fish such heavy breaking strain lines when targeting bass? I grew up catching trout and have almost no Bass fishing experience but I have since moved to an area with same bass fishing nearby.

For trout, I predominantly use 4-6lb test line. Trout grow up to 40lb in weight, although most trout I catch are within the 1-5lb range although my area is known for larger than average trout. Admittedly when targeting obese trout, most anglers use stronger line than 6lb but on a pure lb to lb comparison bass anglers seem to use much heavier gear.

While most guides I read suggest using 10-20lb test when bass fishing. The large mouth bass world record is 22lb, and the smallmouth is about half that. With the average bass weighing around 3lb.

Trout potentially grow bigger, and by many reports rainbows and brooks fight harder (and browns fight dirty).

What is the reason behind such heavy line being recommended for bass fishing?

I can only think of these possible reasons.
- Bass anglers typically use heavier lures, and to prevent break offs during the cast requires stronger line.
- Are bass extremely dirty fighters who head straight for structure?
- Baitcaster style reels are easier to cast with thicker line. Does the choose of reel dictate line weight?
- Do Bass have abrasive skin / teeth which can damage thin lines?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Why do people fish such heavy breaking strain lines when targeting bass?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Yes, bass dive deep into structure when you stick them. They are almost invariably around and in heavy cover also, which is another good reason to use heavy line, due to potential damage from rocks, trees and stumps. Bass also jump and will often surge at the boat when you try to get them out. However, you will often see SMB anglers up in the NE use 6-8# line when targeting open-water suspended smallies.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:03 am

Another reason is that thin braid will dig into itself on the spool of a baitcasting reel after you set the hook on a fish. This doesn't happen all the time but, more frequently the lighter your braid is.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 am

Pretty much what everybody said: fishing light line isn't an issue in open water, and trout is an open water fish to me. With bass you're usually in contact with structure, rubbing against rocks, wood etc. Not only do you want line & knot abrasion resistance, you also want enough breaking strength to unsnag your lures - turning over rocks, bend out the hook (but save the bait) etc.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:30 pm

It's not so much people use heavy line as much as heavy line works is all. Trout have very soft mouths in comparison.
PEACE

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:45 pm

it's sure nice when you hook trout with proper line.

my biggest, a 24.5lbs brown trout came on 30lbs braid with a 20lbs flouro lead.

no 6lbs test with these fish. :)
1-2%

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I don't think I've ever used bigger than 8lb mono for any kind of bass fishing, but I'm up in Michigan where the smallmouth get bigger than the largemouth. Even when fishing steelhead I'm running either 6lb or 8lb. For salmon I'll kick it up to 15lb or 20lb because them guys will make your drag sing unlike anything else around here. I understand the logic behind why bass fisherman tend to go with oversized gear, but have never had to put it to practice myself.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:45 pm
it's sure nice when you hook trout with proper line.

my biggest, a 24.5lbs brown trout came on 30lbs braid with a 20lbs flouro lead.

no 6lbs test with these fish. :)
That's a monster Brownie! Would love to hook into one that size.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am

The real reason many bass fishermen use heavy line may surprise you.

Many bass fishermen use baitcasting reels. Because no type of reel is perfect, baitcasters are subject to professional overruns/birdnests. These birdnests cause kinks in mono and fluro which weaken the line......so, that 20lb line, after picking out a birdsnest, might have a weak spot in it that makes it more like ten pound test.

This also explains why spinning gear can get away with smaller line (no birdnests).

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:16 am

I target large trout with baitcasters and <=10 lb line in small streams full of vegetation. Biggest trout for me so far around 10 lb, several of those, but they do get bigger.
However, I cast upstream and wind my moving bait downstream with trout hooking themselves (no need to really set the hook).
Moreover, vegetation in my area is probably softer, less dense, than what I have found in Southern EU and US.

As with pike/musky fishing, heavy line may be needed in order to keep heavy expensive lures from going into backlash-related planetary orbit. Little risk of that happening with <1/4 oz trout lures.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:29 am

Dad was a trout and fly man. Always gave me the business for such heavy line.

I took him on the boat one day. Came up to a dock with old tires used as a breaker. I called my shot with a spinnerbait in between the dock and the tires. Hooked into a 5pounder and had to rip him up and over the tires and a steel cable he got wrapped around.

I think I had #15 on and looked at him and said that's why I use such heavy line. He finally saw the light, thought it was a cool catch, but had to tell me about the 120+ tarpon he took on a #17 leader.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Heavy structure fishing with big diameter hooks and heavy rods, usually require heavier line in order to withstand not snapping on hookset.

I learned the hard way that 10 lb Trilene XL wasn't enough for 8" t-rigged worms in grass with a 4 power GLoomis CR way back in the 1990s...but only after snapping off a good half dozen fish.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:20 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:26 pm
Heavy structure fishing with big diameter hooks and heavy rods, usually require heavier line in order to withstand not snapping on hookset.

I learned the hard way that 10 lb Trilene XL wasn't enough for 8" t-rigged worms in grass with a 4 power GLoomis CR way back in the 1990s...but only after snapping off a good half dozen fish.
Nice to see you dragon. 8-)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:40 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:20 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Nice to see you dragon. 8-)
Thank you my friend...it's been a few years for sure.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:54 pm

Never go over 50lb, even for musky. 10-20lb braid for open water