Ygk G-soul Upgrade vs Ss112

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ygk G-soul Upgrade vs Ss112

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:28 am

It appears to me that the YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 in the 14# is experiencing some wear in a similar fashion as Fireline. I don't fish that often so most of the line rub is either from the line guides and reel spool or just floating debris in the water. It worked wonderful during the spring time for the first few months. I hadn't fished with this one during summer and fall. Just went to check on this one on the rod and noticed the aging wear. I can see the line texture and feel the line texture on it. In comparison the Diawa J-Braid X8 in 6# on another reel that has been fished for two years with far more use throughout the seasons doesn't even show wear anywhere close to this fashion. I think I will top shot a line join for future use.

How's everyone else's experience with the line wear on YGK G-Soul Upgrade?
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:09 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:28 am
It appears to me that the YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 in the 14# is experiencing some wear in a similar fashion as Fireline. I don't fish that often so most of the line rub is either from the line guides and reel spool or just floating debris in the water. It worked wonderful during the spring time for the first few months. I hadn't fished with this one during summer and fall. Just went to check on this one on the rod and noticed the aging wear. I can see the line texture and feel the line texture on it. In comparison the Diawa J-Braid X8 in 6# on another reel that has been fished for two years with far more use throughout the seasons doesn't even show wear anywhere close to this fashion. I think I will top shot a line join for future use.

All braid-to-leader setups. Primarily 12/15/20# Seaguar Fluoro Premier Leader and a couple of 15# Sunline Defier Amilo mono leaders.

YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid
14#: May 2021 to present, spinning and finesse baitcaster (6 months)
16#: January 2021 to present, finesse baitcaster (11 months)
20#: December 2020 to present: baitcaster (12 months)

YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid
30#: May 2019 to present: baitcasters (1 year, 6 months)
40#: April 2019 to present: baitcasters (1 year, 7 months)
45#: May 2021 to present: baitcasters (6 months)
50#: April 2021 to present: baitcasters (7 months)

Each reel with the above YGK braid is used at least 2-5 times per month, year round, for "fun" fishing, tournament pre-fishing, and tournaments. Fishing on the California Delta, Clear Lake, Lake Berryessa and various California Motherlode lakes, so a range of conditions from rocks to weeds to wood.

In preparation for a two-day club tournament this weekend, I reviewed all of the 'in rotation' combinations (9), each reel using one of the above YGK braids, and all are "good to go".

I use braid exclusively and YGK has become my complete braid of choice.

Regards,
Doc

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:46 pm

slipperybob wrote:

If you're hard-casting braid on spinning gear the guides will wear out the first meter or so of braid after a few dozen outings. This is true from UL finesse bass fishing to surf casting with heavy PE line.

I've had to cut back maybe 2-3 meters on my Upgrade X-8 14 and 16lb setups over the course of 2 years. There is virtually no wear beyond that first meter or so.

IMO bc the YGK is so tightly weaved and smooth to begin with, the wear is more noticeable than the sloppier J braid weave. You couldn't pay me to use J braid at this point...esp the grand.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Now that I think and remember about it. It was that one rod combo that caught the most fish with this year. :lol: Just didn't remember the line wear from all of that. And just wasn't expecting. I was going in think it should look pristine like how I remembered it during the spring. I will probably topshot it and go on from there.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:30 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:46 pm
slipperybob wrote:

If you're hard-casting braid on spinning gear the guides will wear out the first meter or so of braid after a few dozen outings. This is true from UL finesse bass fishing to surf casting with heavy PE line.

I've had to cut back maybe 2-3 meters on my Upgrade X-8 14 and 16lb setups over the course of 2 years. There is virtually no wear beyond that first meter or so.

IMO bc the YGK is so tightly weaved and smooth to begin with, the wear is more noticeable than the sloppier J braid weave. You couldn't pay me to use J braid at this point...esp the grand.
YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid does not appear to have that problem. The #14 is on my main spinning rod, which is used every trip and used more than any other combination during each trip.

But I will continue to check on line wear. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Doc

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:11 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 am
toddmc wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:49 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm
toddmc wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:02 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:08 pm
You guys are fishing 25# and 30# ygk upgrade on baitcasters and no issues? That is really small diameter braided line for baitcasters.Very impressive
The 30 lb. G-Soul Upgrade is too thin and soft to be fished around rocks, as expected. It is also just too soft and thin to be used on a baitcaster and a stiff rod. I was fishing a swimjig around rocks last night and I would break off after my jig made contact with any rock. I also broke off after making contact with a railroad tie. I love the way the ultra-soft line handles, but it probably should only be used on baitcasters with a leader and baits in the top of the water column. I would go up a size or two from most lines because it is so thin. It is so soft that it is hard to feel a backlash coming. These types of braids can be dangerous.
On the other hand, the SS112 is very durable around the hard stuff because of the Ester core. I have had nothing but good luck with the 10 lb. for finesse fishing. I'm tempted to go up a size or two on the G-Soul Upgrade, but I may try something else. I love FX2 for its durability, but the guide noise wears me out. I am looking for a compromise braid and the G-Soul Upgrade wasn't it. It is too far on the soft and manageable side of the braid spectrum.
I may try some g soul 60# on one of my baitcasters and see how it goes. Otherwise I will probably stick with my j brand grand. Just got some sunline defier braid and its similar to the ss112 may have to throw that ss112 on a different spinning reel so i can compare the two.
I bet that the 60 lb. is good for baitcasting. The 30 lb. is a little small and too soft.
I almost never break off. I had five with the G-Soul. I switched knots to no avail. I don't think it liked being fished around boulders and rough concrete. I have never had issues with other braids though. There are several variables that come into play. Maybe the line had microscopic damage from being retrieved across the rough concrete, but I have never had this issue with other braids. i was fishing a heavy rod and an 8.1 ratio reel. 'm gonna try the line elsewhere and report back when I get a chance.
I use 30, 40, 45 and 50 lb. G-Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid on almost all of my baitcasters, dependent on lure/reel/rod. The 30 lb. YGK has been used without issue for more than two years on every fishing trip, "fun" fishing and tournaments..

Regards,
Doc
I almost never break off. I had four in one night with the G-Soul. I switched knots to no avail. I don't think it liked being fished around boulders and rough concrete. I have never had issues with other braids though. There are several variables that come into play. Maybe the line had microscopic damage from being retrieved across the rough concrete, but I have never had this issue with other braids. I was fishing a heavy rod and an 8.1 ratio reel, which aren't very forgiving. It was breaking really easy, but I couldn't feel any damage on the line. I should have turned the line around on the reel to see if this helped, but I didn't have time. I'm gonna try the line elsewhere and report back when I get a chance.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 am

Finally got to field test SS112 10# for ice fishing. No I did not fish outside to test the freeze value effect because it was windy and hail snow pellets was blowing all around. Anyway the line was tested on a small 1/64th oz Flu Flu jig, I think it was much lighter like 1/80th oz. but can't remember for sure. Normally this jig requires me to peel line off a spinning reel to get it to sink so that's how it goes. I did allow the Curado BFS to free spool and it worked but very slow. So I peeled line off and allowed the free fall jig to dive. It went much faster than that off a spinning reel so I guess the sinking value of SS112 works.

As usual with braids, there's micro bubbles on the line that shows up on the flasher read out and it can be very annoying. YGK SS112 did not do any of that. I was expecting that texture feel of the line to buzz, but I did not get any of that while ice fishing. It felt very smooth while fishing. Since I was using the Curado BFS and while it the drag was clicking with fish, I can't tell if the line actually buzz while loaded with a fish either. It just felt smooth. After using it, I think I like SS112 a bit better for ice fishing over that of G-Soul Upgrade. It was just one day so far. Will update at the end of ice fishing season and see how it performs.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 am

Second time field test on SS112. I was noticing that the line management on the spool was way better than any other braids I've used. The scenario is vertical dropping a lure and thumb feathering. I have not a need to peel off line and cinch down the line onto the spool. Perhaps it has something to do with the light texture feel on the line. Even the behavior characteristics of the line hasn't shown a loose loop coil burr yet. I'm begging to think this is the best braided ice fishing line as of yet.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:08 pm

Does anyone knows where I can get the ss112 on 10 and 14 pound?
Thanks

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:04 pm

I got tired of waiting for it because the dates keep getting pushed back. I ordered some of this
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=14400
instead. I have been meaning to try it for a while. I'll do a write up when I get a chance.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback Todd. Me too, I have been waiting and the date keeps being postponed. I have used ohdragon for a while, but like gsoul ss 112 much more. As far as I know, ygk japan does not list 112 anymore in their website.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:22 am

slipperybob wrote:

Interesting post. My history with this line has been short, but to date is as follows:
Started out using PE 1.0 on Stella FJ 4K with NRX 923 Inshore; always use ~5' of fluoro 10-12lb leader with Crazy Alberto.
Inshore and fresh...frustrating experience. Many line snaps during casts and odd leader knot to guide hang-ups I've never experience before. Used PE 1.2 on my Calcutta Conquest 100 DC and NRX 916 without any issue.
Removed PE 1.0 from Stella and replaced with PE 1.5. No issues whatsoever for last year...fresh or inshore.
I conclude from above that my casting method with said gear did not match that well with line that light/small/etc. This conclusion could be incorrect.

After reading your post, I made the same observation. Odd. My leader lengths are always such that my braid to leader join is a foot or two outside the spool...so leader is always taking the heat when casting in relation to the tiptop. I assume this is my index finger causing this when loading/releasing cast. Again, could be wrong.
One of my sons uses 10lb J-Braid on his newer Daiwa Saltist MQ. He recently fished with me for a week chasing drum in kayaks. No line wear whatsoever...however, I need to verify whether his leader length is such that it's into spool and therefore index finger is resting on the leader during casts.

Really like the line so far. Hoping it's aiding in a little better distance. Don't want this type of thing chipping away at my confidence...especially when potential is high of getting into some bulls where I have to pay serious attention.
Hearing good things about Suffix 131, but haven't tried that...hard to find in 300m/y spools.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:00 pm

Problem now is finding YGK Upgrade in the states.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:58 am

toddmc wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:11 pm

I almost never break off. I had four in one night with the G-Soul. I switched knots to no avail. I don't think it liked being fished around boulders and rough concrete. I have never had issues with other braids though. There are several variables that come into play. Maybe the line had microscopic damage from being retrieved across the rough concrete, but I have never had this issue with other braids. I was fishing a heavy rod and an 8.1 ratio reel, which aren't very forgiving. It was breaking really easy, but I couldn't feel any damage on the line. I should have turned the line around on the reel to see if this helped, but I didn't have time. I'm gonna try the line elsewhere and report back when I get a chance.
I use SS-112 14 lb exclusively around a lot of rocks and broken up concrete around the harbors and breakwalls around Lake Michigan. I have never had a break off with my braid. Now, I fray the leader line all the time and have to constantly check and replace my leader but the braid has always held up. These breakwalls around Chicago are the hardest cover I've ever fished. I lose so much more gear around Chicago compared to traditional Great Lakes fisheries with non-urban habitat.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:35 pm

Junk Fisherman wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:58 am
toddmc wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:11 pm

I use SS-112 14 lb exclusively around a lot of rocks and broken up concrete around the harbors and breakwalls around Lake Michigan. I have never had a break off with my braid. Now, I fray the leader line all the time and have to constantly check and replace my leader but the braid has always held up. These breakwalls around Chicago are the hardest cover I've ever fished. I lose so much more gear around Chicago compared to traditional Great Lakes fisheries with non-urban habitat.
The 112 is extremely durable. It does as well as any braid around hard cover.