Sunline Defier D Braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sunline Defier D Braid

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:37 am

Has anyone used this line? I ordered a spool of 9 lb for my hair jig rod. The line looks promising for this technique because of the core to prevent wind knots. I'm usually not a line snob and use 832, but this is a technique where casting distance is essential. I have Smackdown on the rod now and I'm not a fan.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sunline Defier D Braid

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 pm

Would like to hear some feedback on this line as well. Got a spool sitting in my fishing room but haven't put it on yet because its off season.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 pm

I have a spool I haven’t put on my reel yet. When ygk ss112 come back in stock, I’ll compare the two side by side on my finesse setups.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:18 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:37 am
Has anyone used this line? I ordered a spool of 9 lb for my hair jig rod. The line looks promising for this technique because of the core to prevent wind knots. I'm usually not a line snob and use 832, but this is a technique where casting distance is essential. I have Smackdown on the rod now and I'm not a fan.
Keep us posted after you spend some time with it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Smackdown is crap, at least in the low pound-test variations I used.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
I completely agree. I haven’t fished the Sunline yet, but it is a little stiffer due to the core.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
I completely agree. I haven’t fished the Sunline yet, but it is a little stiffer due to the core.
I've been very pleased with Berkley X9 in ghost/white. It is stupid-thin for its ratings, and very smooth, limp and quiet thru the guides. Durability over the long term hasn't been fully vetted yet(oldest spool was bought this time last year and has been fished hard), but I've been pleased enough that I've bought 4 more spools since my experiment first began.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:57 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
i used the original smakdown in 10 and 15lb and agree it was garbage. the new stuff (purple box) i have been using for 2 seasons and have not had a single issue with it, my favorite line i think! what has been your issues with it?

i have a spool of 11lb defier dbraid sittin gon my workbench but havent spooled it up yet, but the water here is frozen so it will be a while to test it out!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Canga- wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:57 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
i used the original smakdown in 10 and 15lb and agree it was garbage. the new stuff (purple box) i have been using for 2 seasons and have not had a single issue with it, my favorite line i think! what has been your issues with it?

i have a spool of 11lb defier dbraid sittin gon my workbench but havent spooled it up yet, but the water here is frozen so it will be a while to test it out!
Once bitten, twice shy, I suppose. I used the 15# and it broke on the first 3 casts that I made with it. It wasn't backlashing, just breaking clean in the middle during the cast. I stripped it off and tossed it in the garbage where it belongs. I then tried the 10# test and it actually broke twice as I tried to cinch down the knot. The knot was moistened well and the line broke above the knot, not inside the knot as it cinched down. Hot garbage!

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:43 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:19 pm
Canga- wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Once bitten, twice shy, I suppose. I used the 15# and it broke on the first 3 casts that I made with it. It wasn't backlashing, just breaking clean in the middle during the cast. I stripped it off and tossed it in the garbage where it belongs. I then tried the 10# test and it actually broke twice as I tried to cinch down the knot. The knot was moistened well and the line broke above the knot, not inside the knot as it cinched down. Hot garbage!
very interesting, exactly the opposite of my experiences with the current smakdown! thanks for the reply!

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:45 pm

Has anyone been able to do a head to head with D Braid and YGK SS112 yet?

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Canga- wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

I had the same experience with smackdown. I had a brand new spool of flash green 10lb(purple box) spooled up on a new spinning rig and on my first cast the line actually unravelled midcast causing it to bunch up at one guide and broke somewhere above that launching my bait out into the lake.(respect series megabass, I took a swim in 60 degree water to recover) I inspected the line afterwards and you could clearly see the line unravelling and bunching up, kind of like a shoelace seperated from its core. I made a post about it on a popular online forum. A sponsored pro reached out to me on seaguars behalf saying seaguar wanted to replace the line for me. I gave them my address and never did receive my replacement spool so I swore off all things seaguar.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:30 pm

Just spooled up some #1(13lb) defier d braid on my luvias airity. Will report back here once I get some experience with it on the water.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:34 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:30 pm
Just spooled up some #1(13lb) defier d braid on my luvias airity. Will report back here once I get some experience with it on the water.
i put the same on my 2505 '15 exist, love the looks and feel of it but wont be able to get any testing until probably april, still 20" of ice here!

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm

So has anyone used this line enough to give their initial impressions? Im interested in picking some up